The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:01:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Manual for Gates BC1-H  (Read 3315 times)
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« on: May 04, 2007, 11:39:32 AM »

I see bama does not have a manual for the H model.  Anyone know where I can find one on-line?  Also any tips for converting to 80 meters would be helpful.  I understand it will go to 160 by some simple re-tuning coils and condensers...

Thanks,
Brian / wa5am
ex - w5ami

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 12:32:26 PM »

Hopefully, it won't be as evasive as info on my Gates CGM-1.

You're welcome to come look at my conversion on the RCA BTA 1R1.  It works 40, 80, and 160.  I know it's not the same transmitter but it might give you some ideas.  Roy
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 03:40:22 PM »

You lucky dude......A BC1-H. That was a very nice Tx. I hope you have the solid state audio driver. I do not know about 80M conversion, but I was able to input a VFO into the solid state RF osc. and go any where on 160M.
A very beautiful straight forward design. Very nice audio.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 12:36:25 PM »

Well guys, I first want to say I appreciate the replies, however this has been a week and a half of broadcast transmitter leads for me.  I had one years ago, and sold it when I had to move to Texas for work, and have thought off and on for some time about wanting another, but never seemed to find one complete, or close enough I could pick up.

I have now landed a Gates BC-1T totally complete, working, and a 9 on a scale of 10 in Wyoming.  The deal is done, and I am amazed at the cost of shack to shack shipping via a special service North American Van lines provides for these type items.  Neither the shipper or the shippee <sp - not sure if that's a word>  have to lift a finger for this service.  Bottom line; it will be picked up, packed and delivered right into my shack here in Arkansas for $580.  Less than what I would spend driving up there, time lost from other things, lodging, etc.  That also includes $4000 insurance.

This 1T has not been converted as yet, but was on or near 1280 kcs.  Minor details to get it on 160, however I do plan to get it to operate 80 meters as well.

So, my recent quest is over searching for a good BC transmitter, however I truly appreciate the help and advice on the previous units I've been looking at (the Collins 20K, and BC-1H).

Don / KYV, Jim / 5JO have already given me some good points on conversion, but I'm open to any others that might have knowledge of the 1T that have put them on 160 and 80 meters.  I'd really like to excite the thing with my Flex Radio with minimal power, so I can also use the Flex for an AM rx, as it does a bang up job for receiving and fighting QRM.

I'll send photos up to amfone soon as the old dog gets here...

Brian / wa5ami
ex - w5ami

PS: If anyone needs a shipping service like what I'm using on this, just PM me, and I'll give you the contact info.

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015