The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:45:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: another grand idea from the over educated idiots  (Read 12760 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: May 01, 2007, 07:42:43 PM »

Just listened to public TV news. They had some idiot on there who wants to build more coal electric plants. To control CO2 his bone head idea is to pump the exhaust under ground in old oil wells........I looked over to the XYL and said plant lots of trees. I wonder what the idiot will do when there in no O2 left.....drill for it and sell it.
Where do these fools come from?Huh then he said we will get the rest of the world to do it.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 08:03:24 PM »

Trees and maybe fields of moss would be good.  Something to eat the CO2.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
W1GFH
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 08:14:05 PM »

To control CO2 his bone head idea is to pump the exhaust under ground in old oil wells......

Much better idea is to pump all the CO2 into a giant cigar-shaped craft powered by a rocket engine Using CO2/Metal Propellant and launch it into the ionosphere where it will break up and energize the Heaviside-layer to provide 10M DX openings daily.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 10:43:52 PM »

I like the coal fired plants. Get us off the oil. Next, coal fired cars.

Your first mistake was watching PBS.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 10:54:54 PM »

From the State Department Web Site
In addition, the United States will support roughly $200 million for carbon capture and storage, including field tests demonstrating different techniques for capturing and storing carbon dioxide emissions underground; any risks to human health and the environment resulting from underground injection of CO2 will be evaluated, and a regulatory framework will be developed.

From MIT
Study: Store CO2 underground as bubbles

CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Feb. 15 (UPI) -- A U.S.-led study has offered another plan to rid the Earth's atmosphere of carbon dioxide -- capture CO2 emissions and store then underground as bubbles.

The new study led by a Massachusetts Institute of Technology researcher describes a mechanism for capturing CO2 from a power plant and injecting the gas into the ground, where it would be trapped as tiny bubbles and safely stored in briny porous rock.

That would mean a power plant could be built in an appropriate location, with all its carbon dioxide emissions captured and stored underground. The researchers say the carbon dioxide eventually would dissolve in the brine, with a fraction adhering to the rock in the form of minerals such as iron and magnesium carbonates.
MIT Professor Ruben Juanes and colleagues say injected CO2 would not likely flow back to the surface and into the atmosphere, as feared by the plan's critics. Carbon dioxide is one of the primary greenhouse gases contributing to global warming.
The study, which included Martin Blunt of Imperial College London and Franklin Orr Jr. of Stanford University, appeared in the journal Water Resources Research.

We gotta look at all possibilities.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 04:37:57 AM »

I think the Norwegians came up with that concept and have been using it for a few years when they drill for gas in the North Sea.  The burn off is exhausted underground.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 08:56:41 AM »

O2 - CO2 is a closed loop system so how many bone heads does it take to break a loop. Maybe we can all pour concrete over our yards so we don't need to mow the grass any more. Then cut down all the trees and put up green towers so we don't need to rake in the fall.

I know how a septic tank works and it seems the same action happens in human nature. Crap heads float to the top.

Hey man wanna buy a tank of O2  cheap for the party this weekend.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the barn so someone set me straight
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 09:49:49 AM »

Maybe not as stupid as it sounds. CO2 sequestration as it is called has been in use in Canada's older oil fields for a several years now. The CO2 from a nearby manufacturing plant is captured and pumped 5000 feet deep to the oil saturated rock. The CO2 becomes a liquid at that depth and washes the hydrocarbons from the porous rock giving new life to the oil field and placing the CO2 in a stable storage place for good.

The world produces far more CO2 than the dwindling global supply of plant life will ever be able to manage

By the way the carbon we pump and mine from the ground has been sequestered in much the same way for millions of years.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 10:17:18 AM »

That's great Mike but my problem is the O2 part. How do we recover that......pay Haliburton? I say we give CO2 back to the plants where it started. It will reward us with O2 which I need. The C is again fed back into the fuel loop.
Lots of bare land out there that could grow green stuff if we just add a little water. I hear there is a surplus of water now that the two ice cubes are melting............
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 12:23:18 PM »

Just go on living ur lives. The earth don't even know we're here.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 02:19:48 PM »

I kinda liked my O2 when I was in the joint. Of course I LOVED MY MORPHINE.  Cheesy
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 02:30:15 PM »

O2 is good for a lot of things. When I wuz in the welding business, I used to wail the O2 right out of the burning torch. It wuz great for clearing the cobwebs out of your head when you had a good hangova!! Grin Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 04:28:04 PM »

Right on.  American Idol is a much more productive and reliable source of significant news and information.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
k7yoo

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 05:15:24 PM »

The Environmental Religion is built around around two FALSE premises:
#1)Man is in control, is innately good, and has the ultimate power over the earth, etc.
#2)That mother earth should be worshiped.

History, and a book many of us possess, show that #1 is pure foolishness
#2  is animism with a paint job. We make fun of Indigenous cultures and their "primitive" beliefs while we "refine" them with scientific eloquence.
Intelligent, rational use of resources is sensible. Irrational use of skewed data for political advantage is immoral
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 05:51:57 PM »

Right on.  American Idol is a much more productive and reliable source of significant news and information.

I watch "24" for the current events and CSI for all that Hi-Tech crime solving stuff. I watch PBS when I want to see real old people singing "oldies".

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 07:57:05 PM »

Frank,
I did the O2 before I lit the flame......easier on the hair.
Fly across country and look down at all that bare land. Pump in a little water and plant trees must be a lot easier than taking the smoke off a 10 foot wide stack and compressing it into a liquid.
1 method easy other very hard.....what do we pick.......
Where is Kelly Johnson.............   
Bud, I think these idiots want to turn the surface of the earth into Easter Island
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 08:44:01 PM »

I watch "24" for the current events and CSI for all that Hi-Tech crime solving stuff. I watch PBS when I want to see real old people singing "oldies".

I didn't know you liked Larry Welk.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 08:53:05 PM »

I didn't know you liked Larry Welk.

Doo wop being done by some of the same original artists, 50 plus years later; sometimes like listening to nails sliding on a blackboard.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 09:41:43 PM »

And then you can call Hiram on 20 meters. The other day the sun broke through the clouds for a while. I like chocolate. There seems to be more cars on the roads these days. Those flying squirrels are fun to watch. Water and oil don't mix. How about those Sox?
k7yoo

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 11:05:17 PM »

Thanks for reeling me back in

anyway what was I saying about triodes.......

Skippy
WA1GFZ

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 11:18:52 AM »

There is no furure in triodes excep for receivers. Real men run spark!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 12:46:08 PM »

There is no furure in triodes excep for receivers. Real men run spark!

Now, thatz a thought!! I wonder how a MSD-7 "gold box" would work as an exciter?? that could kinda be like a class-E spark transmittah Grin Grin

WA1GFZ

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 12:58:20 PM »

MSD into a KW matchbox  ...  -  .-. .-  .--.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 01:36:38 PM »

MSD into a KW matchbox  ...  -  .-. .-  .--.

"STRAP" You betcha!! DC to Daylight in one transmittah!! With the multi spark you wouldnt need a "rotary chopper"!! Shocked Shocked

WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 02:15:47 PM »

Yes, but do we need a spark plug for effect?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015