The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:11:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins 20K BC Transmitter  (Read 4819 times)
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« on: April 23, 2007, 09:24:36 AM »

I am likely going to get a Collins 20K that had been in a museum, and at one time was at a radio station in Hot Springs, Arkansas.  I've not seen it yet, however I do know that it's missing all the HV iron, mod transformer and reactor.  Luckily, I have the HV iron to replace it, and a mod reactor from an RCA BTA1r1.  I think I can get my hands on a mod transformer too.

Does anyone have any technical info on this rig, photos, conversion information for 160 and/or 75 meters, etc?  Of course I know it ran a pair of 833's by a pair, but that's about all I know.  Seems info on the web is very scarce with only one partial photo of w6bm's 20K, and I can't find an email address for John/w6bm.

I'd also like to find out weight and dimensions of the transmitter.  The weight will greatly influence where I locate this rig.

Thanks.
Brian / w5ami

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 09:40:14 AM »

Just fired you off a couple of catalog photos to your email account after seeing your posting on the AMRadio list. 833x2 modulated by 833x2. Nice looking transmitter. Keep us posted, and post some pics once you get your mitts on it!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:43:57 AM »

Thanks Todd!  I'm off to have a look now!

73 de W5AMI - Brian
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 12:37:22 PM »

Brian, when you get the transmitter, look along the bottom edges of the cabinet and you will find some drool stains and slobber from when I used to admire that transmitter when it was in the museum.  If it is the same one that was in the flea market/museum in Hot Springs on Central Avenue.  hi hi Roy
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:24:28 PM »

Brian, when you get the transmitter, look along the bottom edges of the cabinet and you will find some drool stains and slobber from when I used to admire that transmitter when it was in the museum.  If it is the same one that was in the flea market/museum in Hot Springs on Central Avenue.  hi hi Roy

Hee Hee...  Same one Dr. Roy.  When they moved it to the museum, all the iron was removed as they didn't need it anyway.  I guess they never thought it would change hands however, but I've got what I need for that, I think.  David told me that he has a mod xfmr from an RCA that will work, and I've got a 60 hy mod reactor from an RCA too.

Still have found very little info on this.  The owner thinks he has the manuals somewhere and is going to look today.

Brian

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015