The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:16:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ART-13 MODS  (Read 9538 times)
TedN
« on: April 19, 2007, 03:40:01 PM »

HI:
New to the hobby and this board. I have an interest in AM and
While I study for the general I would like to start work on my ART-13.
I'm looking for the articles from AMPX on ART-13 mods. Or any of the mod
article's for that fact.

Tnx
Ted
KC9LKE
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:54:01 PM »

Hi Ted,

I don't think that you need to do a lot of modifications to an ART-13 to get it airworthy but you do need to supply the proper power and it might be wise to clean/lubricate the autotune components to prevent future damage.  There is one change you will definitely want to make which will keep the autotune motor cooler.  Your best starting point is probably to go to the Electric Radio magazine search engine: http://home.wi.rr.com/n9oo/ersearch.html  and then acquire copies of the relevant articles which detail restoration, modification, and use of this fine transmitter.  I have one which will hopefully be on my restoration bench in the next couple of weeks.

Again, I highly recommend that you acquire the numerous ER articles on this rig.

73, Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 03:56:05 PM »

The Dec 2003 and Jan 2004 issue of Electtric Radio have a lot of info, along with a pwr supply.  There were some typos inthe Dec issue, so make sure you get theJan issu also... ER has the (back) issues available for about $4... You can click onto the website from the AMfone  front page...

The full manual is available online ( FREE) from the Bunker of Do0om website...   http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/

Dont forget to use the search function here--------------------------------------------------------------------^

( still have mine on the bench )

klc

What? Me worry?
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 10:39:38 PM »

Hi Ted,

There are plenty of good power supply schematics. Here is the one I use on mine.

Mike WU2D

* ART13WU2DSUPPLY.jpg (387.79 KB, 2700x2050 - viewed 1070 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
TedN
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 08:58:19 AM »

Thanks for the info:

Well I'll start digging up info on the old beast. For starters I'm looking for info on a tube type mic preamp. How do you access the back issues of AM phone?.

I'll try the ER search engine at home; I can't get it to come up at work. The motor mod sounds interesting. I would hate to have to change the motor. KB2WIG, got the manual from the "DOOM" site, THANKS!  WU2D, I was using that exact same print last night. I noticed you used a 15Ù resistor for the metering circuit. Right now I'm using the 13.3 Ù because it's what I had. If I remember right the 13.4 Ù gives full scale at 300 ma and 20.1 Ù gives full scale at 200ma. I'll try the 15 Ù. No swinging meters yet as I'm still working on the supply. It was kinda cool when I put 26 volts to it the first time. A change on the channel knob and it went to where it was set many moons ago. I' m using a stiff 24V regulated supply by Sola. I was able to adjust it up to 26.5 Vdc. I'll post more on the HV supply as time progresses. There seems to be an interest in these old rigs. It would be interesting to know how many are in use. How do they sound?

Thanks

Ted
KC9LKE
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 09:28:06 AM »

Hi Ted,

You have gotten some good information here and the ER search engine is sometimes a little slow to load as it also has to load Java to run.

The "corrected" power supply schematic is in ER January 2004 but I think there is still a minor issue with the correction.  It shows the use of a 12 amp fuse feeding the primary of the transformer used for the 28 volt supply which is far too large given the current draw of this supply (feeds filaments and autotune mostor).  The transformer providing +1200 to the final and modulators and 400 volts low voltage is fused at only 3 amps which is too small.  Perhaps the values are transposed though I still think those would not be the desired fuse ratings.

Some of the other ER issues you would want to obtain are:
  November 1989 "Electric Radio in Uniform, The AN/ART-13"
  August 1991 P.20 "Improved CW with the ART-13"
  September 1991 P.20 "Improve and Maintain that ART-13"
  October 1991 P. 26 "Improve and Maintain that ART-13"
  December 1991 P. 24 "Adding 160 Meter Coverage to the ART-13"
  June 1994 P. 20 "On the Air with the ART-13"
  May 1998 "Electric Radio in Uniform, Adventures with the ART-13 and BC-375"
  December 2003 P. 35 "Restoring the Collins ART-13 Autotune System"

73, Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
KF9CM

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 11:00:31 AM »

I've got a few mods on my site http://www.kf9cm.com/Schematics.htm
I've put together 4 ART-13s in my ham career. Just e-mail me with you're questions.

73 de Gary, KF9CM

www.kf9cm.com
TedN
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 12:50:38 PM »

Thanks all for the info:
I'll post as things progress.

Ted
KC9LKE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands