The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:40:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins 8R-1 calibrator for 75A 2/3.  (Read 2982 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: April 17, 2007, 11:54:52 AM »

Update: Obtained a bar cut 100kc crystal from a Drake SPR4 and it works just fine in the Collins replica. 
From a MPF-102 /1N270 harmonic generator world to a 6BA6.  Fantastic. -Just have to swap until I find another.
I just built up a duplicate of the 8R-1 100kc calibrator for my 75A.   It's way cool and fits into the octal socket and uses a 6BA6 in a modified Pierce circuit (xtal between screen and grid, output from plate.)  My dup. looks factory in all but function.  Oh, woe is me.

Wouldn't you know it but the 100kc crystal seems defective. It won't oscillate in another QRP circuit either.   Causal insertion of an 80 meter xtal (known good) doesnt fire up a marker either. After checking tube, circuit for upteenth time, all components, etc. I'm wondering if a good 100kc crystal is supposed to be special cut, AT, BT or whatever and has to have a special replacement, not just any ol' 100kc xtal?

Looking at recent catalogues, all crystals seem to start at 1Mhz and up, for computers 'n stuff I suppose.
Ideas on obtaining a 100kc crystal of the type required?  I'm probably overthinking this and probably is more simple than I'm aware; I hope so.

Thanks,
Rick, W3RSW

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015