The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:09:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the legal limit on AM ?  (Read 24680 times)
kf4qkr

Old Buzzard AM

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »

Interesting discussion .Ok I ran my carrier up to 400 watts the other night in the ghetto.Everyone said it sounded good.My 813s still arent showing any color even after a good old buzzard transmission.The pep is still the same ,the neighbors dont complain so I guess its ok.I realize that no one will notice a 25 watt power  increase at that power level ,but it does make me feel like I am more strapping now.Thanks.

Mike
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2007, 05:56:08 PM »

QRO is a state of mind.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2007, 06:13:29 PM »

Interesting discussion .Ok I ran my carrier up to 400 watts the other night in the ghetto.Everyone said it sounded good.My 813s still arent showing any color even after a good old buzzard transmission.The pep is still the same ,the neighbors dont complain so I guess its ok.I realize that no one will notice a 25 watt power  increase at that power level ,but it does make me feel like I am more strapping now.Thanks.

How may 813s do you have in your final, and in what mode are you running them?  In class C, a single 813 is good for 2000 volts @ 200 mA, no problem.

I can't speak to linear service directly, only to the calculations for figuring power v/s dissipation.

CRANK UP THE WICK !  You have  plenty more to go  Cool

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
kf4qkr

Old Buzzard AM

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2007, 10:18:23 PM »

Hi Steve .My 813s are in grounded grid service,there are 2 in the amp now but I do have a third socket in there .I may add another tube later.Iwill have to add a couple more turns to the tank coil and then retap everything again on the band switch when I do.The  fillament are 10 volts at about 30 amps(overkill)so eventualy I could add 2 more tubes.I have 3 choices on my plate voltage 1400, 1800and 2200 vdc with 40 watts of drive at 1800 vdc I get 400 watts of carrier.My plate supply is capable of delivering that 2200vdc at about 1 amp{yep thats overkill again but I like overkill)and I had these parts on hand.A single 813 in groundid will take 120 watts drive before it starts to saturate,so you can double that drive for 2 tubes.813s are highly under rated tubes.My little plate modulated transmitter{a single 6146 modulated by a single 6L6 in a single ended ended modulator that uses a Johnson Messenger mod iron)only does 7 watts so I use a small grounded grid  amp to get that up to 40 watts.There are 3- 6LF6s (sweep tubes).Only run 400 volts on the plates and plenty of bias on the controle grid to keep em cool  durring an old buzzard and I like too old buzzard.This is  an ever evolving station so things tend to change as time goes by ,hopefully for the better.I am working on a bullit proof driver to replace the sweep tubes a single 813 that will give me 50 watts of drive in the middle stage and probably 500 watts overall  I have more ideas but thats another old buzzard transmission,73s.   

Mike
WA1GFZ

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2007, 09:34:01 AM »

As you add 813s your tank coil needs to get smaller due to lower plate Z. Put all the voltage you can on the tubes they will love it in linear service. Add cathode bias if the resting current gets too high.
3 Kv will make them honk out real strappage in linear service.
KF9CM

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2007, 11:11:38 AM »

A Friend of mine Ran a high powered mobile for CB (6000watts) in a 72 Chevy. He burnt all the rubber weather stripping of the doors and trunk. There digging tumors out of him now. These guys don't do this for fun they do it for money. They have a shoot out and bet big bucks to see who covers up whom.

73 de Gary KF9CM

73 de Gary, KF9CM

www.kf9cm.com
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2007, 11:37:18 AM »

I believe they call it a "key down" or "key down party" or somthing like that. I have heard some wild stories of guys that had to run nitrous oxide on the vehicle engines in order to make enough horsepower to run all of the alternators!! big egos, big money, and big bragging rights!  That kind of power at 27Mhz, in the hands of guys that dont know anything about RF safety!! Geeezzzeee, its definately kinda scarey!!

I BE WAVIN MY HAND IN THE BREEZE!! ABD I JUST GOT DOWN!! Cool Cool

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2007, 02:32:06 PM »

If you can hear me I'm a runnin' legal limit regardles of what the wattmeter says !!!

kf4qkr

Old Buzzard AM

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2007, 04:38:44 PM »

Frank down here the call em shootouts.They used to have one in Raleigh and you could  here them guys here in Winston-Salem.     AND IM BACK QUIET READING THE MAIL CUMONE

Mike
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015