The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:45:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Channel Chatter - Dale VE3AAM  (Read 24182 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« on: April 10, 2007, 11:24:27 PM »

A few evenings ago I heard Dale VE3AAM on 75 AM quite late.  I don't remember who he was in QSO with now, but Dale said that he is retiring (at the ripe old age of 48).  He is selling the shop and some gear there.  There may be some good Tx acquistions available. 

He is buying a 100 acre property in Ontario, so he says.  He is picturing having an annual fest there and has invited the AMers, even the AMericans to this new shindig he would like to establish with your help.

Sorry I didn't think of regurgitating this sooner, as I would remember more details.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
kf4qkr

Old Buzzard AM

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 05:43:21 PM »

I was one of the stations he worked. What a signal into Winston Salem! 30 dbs.I had worked him before when I was a piss weak AMer but this was the first time I talked to Dale with a good signal. He was running a broadcast rig into a loop which is on the roof of the building he lives in.

A 100 acre hamfester sounds great. I would drive to Canada for that. Dont you need a passport to go there now?

Mike
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 07:02:35 PM »

"Dont you need a passport to go there now?"

No. Getting back into the US, well ..... the passport will make it a bit easier.. 

.... ..  klc

What? Me worry?
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »

"Dont you need a passport to go there now?"

.... ..   

If you fly you will need one to return.
Unless you are coming in under the radar!

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
ve6pg

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 07:34:28 PM »

..TOO BAD HE NEVER GOT HIS REAL HAM TICKET...THAT'S WHY HE WAS ALWAYS ON LATE AT NIGHT, HOPING NO ONE WOULD CATCH HIM...HELD A VHF ONLY TICKET..CAN U SAY PIRATE?...OH WELL...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 07:51:24 PM »

Tim,

Congratulations on the new super QTH!

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 08:11:27 PM »

I'm not familiar with the details of the Canadian Amateur licenses.  Isn't there just 2 classes, Basic and Advanced?

I got this information from the Radio Amateurs of Canada website:

1. Callsign:        VE3AAM
        Name:            Dale Castonguay
        Address:         71 WOLFE ST.
                         FRANKFORD, ON  K0K 2C0
        Qualifications:  BASIC  ADVANCED

Doesn't he have full priviledges then?

WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 08:31:35 PM »

I seem to remember the law changing and you need a passport.
ve6pg

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 09:55:40 PM »

..HEY TOM...LOOKING FWD TO WERKING U SOON...WELL, HE HAS THE PRIVILEGE NOW, BUT YOU WILL NOTICE, ON THE LISTING, HE NEVER DID CW. HE WAS GRAND FATHERED TO THIS LISTING. MOST OF US KNEW HE WAS ILLEGAL, AND WOULD NOT TALK WITH HIM, AS IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO CONVERSE WITH SOMEONE WHO DID'NT HOLD THE CORRECT TICKET. I ALWAYS FELT THAT, SOMEONE WITH A DIFFERENT LEVEL SHOULD BE IDENTIFIED AS SUCH.. HE HAS BEEN ACTIVE FOR YEARS, BUT NOT WITH OTHER VE's,  AS THIS WOULD RAISE THE QUESTION AS TO WHAT HE WAS DOING ON HF...HE ONLY GOT THE RIGHT TO BE ON HF IN THE LAST YEAR, OR SO, AND AS A MATTER OF FACT, HIS CURRENT LICENSE LEVEL DOES NOT ALLOW HIM MORE THAN 250 WATTS OUTPUT P.E.P., AND IT IS ILLEGAL FOR HIM TO BE  WORKING ON, BUILDING, OR SERVICING ANY TRANSMITTING EQUIPMENT, BECAUSE HE HAS'NT SHOWN HE HAS THE PASSED THE LEVEL OF HIS HAM TICKET...THAT'S THE LAW IN CANADA FOR HAMS WITH HIS LEVEL OF TICKET..IT IS ALL ON THE INDUSTRY CANADA WEBSITE, UNDER " RIC CIRCULARS "

...I WERKED FER MY TICKET TOM, NO A/B/C/D STUFF. WHEN I GOT MINE, IT WAS A WRITTEN EXAM, DRAWINGS, CW FOR THE BASIC LEVEL (AMATEUR) WAS 10 WPM...ADVANCED WAS 15 WPM, AND MORE WRITTEN EXAMS. IT HAS BUGGED ME FER YRS THIS GUY WAS RUNNING AROUND, KNOWING HE WAS A PIRATE, AND FOOLING SO MANY PEOPLE.   I HAVE NEVER MET HIM, BUT HE IS WELL KNOWN IN THE AM COMMUNITY HERE, AND NONE OF US HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH HIM...TIM...sk..

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 11:11:10 PM »

I seem to remember the law changing and you need a passport.

Pulled this down off some travel web site written last year. Might have changed by now. Maybe in 10 years, we'll need a passport to go between states

December 31, 2006 – Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
December 31, 2007 – Passport required for all land border crossings, as well as air and sea travel.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 12:22:27 AM »

IT IS ILLEGAL FOR HIM TO BE  WORKING ON, BUILDING, OR SERVICING ANY TRANSMITTING EQUIPMENT, BECAUSE HE HAS'NT SHOWN HE HAS THE PASSED THE LEVEL OF HIS HAM TICKET...THAT'S THE LAW IN CANADA FOR HAMS WITH HIS LEVEL OF TICKET.

Ah, yes.  Canada's institutionalised appliance operator class.  I'm sure it's just a matter of time before that shows up down here.  Mandatory type acceptance, illegal to homebrew or modify. I think there is a similar licence in UK as well.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ve6pg

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 07:18:36 AM »

..U R RIGHT DON, BUT EVERY HAM HAS THE OPTION OF UP GRADING TO ADVANCED, AND THEN HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO HIS OWN THING WITH TRANSMITTERS...THE IDEA IS THAT THERE ARE  APPLIANCE OPERATORS WITH NO EXPERIENCE WERKING ON TRANSMITTERS, AND CREATING HAVOC WITH THE END RESULT. DALE, I UNDERSTAND, IS A GOOD TECH. BUT IN THE AMATEUR SCHEME OF THINGS, HIS LICENSE FORBIDS HIM FROM DOING SUCH WERK...TIM...sk...

k3zrf

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 07:36:09 AM »

Stay out of jail, Dale Grin

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 07:58:27 AM »

Yes, we're very lucky here in the states. In some countries you even have to have a receiving license.  Creeping up on us though, just like you say.   
 e.g., illegal to have a radar receiver in Va. 

Funny how the turns of history can be so chaotic, using the latest biz speak, chaotic to "the tipping point."  The Navy controlled all the waves at one time including ours. : )  We were fortunate to get back on after both WW's.

Then we'd all be boots.  Remember 55 mph?

Our cousins in Canada are just one step closer, under the heel.  Technology in admisistrative, bureaucratic hands is always oppressive.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 08:53:02 AM »

If you think about it a while, the whole construct of "public ownership of the airwaves" and the the government control of them is rather absurd. The FCC controls the "content" on the airwaves under this construct. And many do not see this as impacting the First Amendment. But if the same construct was applied to newpapers or magazines, there would be massive resistance. I wonder why?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 10:36:37 AM »

Interesting point Steve.
Considering Hamilton wrote in one of his essays that the 1st Amendment did not release the citizenry from the responsibility of common decency, it would seem the same obsenity laws should apply accross the board.

Could this be another "follow the money" situation Huh? You know..... the rich liberal newspaper mogals !! Free speech to all......(those we agree with).
ve6pg

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »

..WELL, WE STILL HAVE MORE PRIVILEGES IN CANADA THAN THE U.S.  WE ARE NOT BOUND BY RESTRICTIONS, AS WHERE WE CAN OPERATE, AND WHAT MODES. THERE IS NO SUCH THING HERE, AS A "CW" PORTION, FONE PORTION ETC. I CAN OPERATE ANY MODE ON HF, ANYWHERE. OUR OUTPUT IS RESTRICTED ON AM TO 750 WATTS CARRIER, OR 1000 WATTS DC INPUT. WE DO NOT HAVE THIS LARGE DOCUMENT THAT YOU GUYS REFER TO AS "PART 37", OR WHATEVER IT IS. IN CANADA, OUR AM GROUP HAS BEEN ON 3725 FOR YEARS. ALOT OF "NETS" HAVE BEEN ON SSB ON 3733, ETC FOR YEARS, AS WELL..IF THE BAND GETS TOO BUSY, OUR GROUP IS HAPPY TO MOVE BELOW 3600, AS WE ARE ALLOWED. THE ONLY THING OF COURSE, IS NOT TO CAUSE INTERFERENCE TO OTHER COMMUNICATIONS. 
  THE IDEA BY THE NEW TICKET, IS TOO BRING NEW BLOOD INTO HAM RADIO, AND WHET THEIR APPETITE, SO THEY WILL UPGRADE, AND ENJOY THE FULL PRIVILEGES. BUT THEY ARE RESTRICTED NOT TO BAND SPACE, OR MODES, BUT 250 WATTS P.E.P. AND CANNOT BUILD/REPAIR TRANSMITTERS...TIM...sk..

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 11:19:47 AM »

WELL, WE STILL HAVE MORE PRIVILEGES IN CANADA THAN THE U.S.  WE ARE NOT BOUND BY RESTRICTIONS, AS WHERE WE CAN OPERATE, AND WHAT MODES. THERE IS NO SUCH THING HERE, AS A "CW" PORTION, FONE PORTION ETC.

Well Tim, we tried here to have that changed but it seems the vast majority of hams in the U.S. have no problem with the government telling 'em what to do and how to do it.
Some twisted idea of freedom I guess. After all, the government knows best..... don't it ?

WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 11:32:45 AM »

I'm told I own my house and even have a deed but I still rent from the town for thousands a year. And it can be taken away anytime someone wants it.....
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 01:04:15 PM »

..TOO BAD HE NEVER GOT HIS REAL HAM TICKET...THAT'S WHY HE WAS ALWAYS ON LATE AT NIGHT, HOPING NO ONE WOULD CATCH HIM...HELD A VHF ONLY TICKET..CAN U SAY PIRATE?...OH WELL...sk..
Well, he's legal now!   Grin

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 01:05:26 PM »

I'm not familiar with the details of the Canadian Amateur licenses.  Isn't there just 2 classes, Basic and Advanced?

I got this information from the Radio Amateurs of Canada website:

1. Callsign:        VE3AAM
        Name:            Dale Castonguay
        Address:         71 WOLFE ST.
                         FRANKFORD, ON  K0K 2C0
        Qualifications:  BASIC  ADVANCED
Doesn't he have full priviledges then? 
He never wrote his CW exam.   Moot point now!   Grin  And you'll notice he has his advanced ticket, so yes, he has full priviledges, and can both build what ever  he wants and run 1 KW.  He's always had his advanced.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 01:50:45 PM »

..WELL, WE STILL HAVE MORE PRIVILEGES IN CANADA THAN THE U.S.  WE ARE NOT BOUND BY RESTRICTIONS, AS WHERE WE CAN OPERATE, AND WHAT MODES. THERE IS NO SUCH THING HERE, AS A "CW" PORTION, FONE PORTION ETC. I CAN OPERATE ANY MODE ON HF, ANYWHERE. OUR OUTPUT IS RESTRICTED ON AM TO 750 WATTS CARRIER, OR 1000 WATTS DC INPUT. WE DO NOT HAVE THIS LARGE DOCUMENT THAT YOU GUYS REFER TO AS "PART 37", OR WHATEVER IT IS.

True, but with one exception.  Canada's regulations impose a 6 kHz bandwidth limit.  In the US there is no specific bandwidth limit, but simply a vague requirement to observe "good amateur and engineering practice" and maintain a bandwidth appropriate for the data rate or modulation being transmitted.

I have never heard of a VE/VA being cited for excessive bandwidth because (s)he was running normal AM without a low-pass audio filter.

Nor have I ever heard of a US ham being cited for excessive power because (s)he was running AM using a plate modulated transmitter at 1 kw DC input.

But certain elements within the US amateur community have been trying their damnest for several decades to impose specific numerical bandwidth limits down here.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ve6pg

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 05:44:04 PM »

..HEY ED...GO BACK TO THE HILL, ES BE WITH ALL UR LEFT-WING PINKO FRIENDS, SORRY, I MEANT THE LIBERAL PARTY....TIM...sk...

W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 08:05:40 PM »

Are you referring to Ed VA3ES/VE2BAQ?  Not the Ed I know.

Michael W1RC

also VE2XZ/W1

..HEY ED...GO BACK TO THE HILL, ES BE WITH ALL UR LEFT-WING PINKO FRIENDS, SORRY, I MEANT THE LIBERAL PARTY....TIM...sk...

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
ve6pg

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 09:23:41 PM »

...THE TRUTH IS OUT, IT IS SAD, WE THOUGHT WE KNEW HIM....sk...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015