The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 06:26:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got the Cheyenne and HP-23 this morning  (Read 10227 times)
AF9J
« on: April 09, 2007, 12:14:41 PM »

Well,  I received the Fed Ex packages for the Heathkit Cheyenne transmitter and HP-23A power supply,  this morning, here at work.  I did a quick visual check on them, and they seem to not have suffered any shipping damage.  I wish though, that the power supply had been marked fragile (I've seen firsthand, how the drivers toss the boxes into the Fed EX & UPS trucks).  I'll give them a more thorough going over, wehn I get home tonight from the animal shelter (which I help out at, on Mondays after work). 

Now, I'll just have to get together a list of parts I'll need for the power supply mods, and replacement of defective components in the Cheyenne, and check and see what Mouser has.  Don't be surprised if I ahve a ton of questions.

Ellen - AF9J
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 01:04:37 PM »

Ellen, among the people who've made the mods to a Cheyenne for AM is the TimTron.
Matter of fact, I think Steve may have the rundown on amwindow.org

ve6pg

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »

...I PICKED ONE UP ABT A MONTH AGO..IN FRIEND'S BASEMENT, NO TIME TO LOOK AT IT YET...TIM...sk...

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 03:13:10 PM »

Honk if you need connectors, etc., for them thar things.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
AF9J
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 03:51:08 PM »

Hi Paul & John,

Thanks for the suggestion on TimTron, Paul.  I couldn't find any info on the Cheyenne in the AM Window, so I sent off an e-mail to Tim a little while ago, asking for info/suggestions, etc.  Also, thanks for the offer of connectors John.  I still might be able to get the mic plug (I assume it's the the screw on ring type, sort of the 2 conductor version of the more common 4 conductor one my TS-820 has [I had one in my junk box, and I cannibalized it for parts for a 4 conductor mic plug), at AES (it's only 15 mies away from me).  As for the Cinch-Jones power plug - well, that might be a little iffier.  I'll have to check into that (there's an outside chance I have one in my junkbox, from when I had an FT-101B way back in college, but I'm not sure if it's the same pin count).

Ellen - AF9J
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 06:29:29 PM »

Ellen,
  The MT-1 is nice little transmitter. I don't think you will find the audio modifications to be any different than the DX-60 mods. I took some pictures of mine and the microphone plug for your reference.
  Hope you get it on the air soon!

* 359.jpg (21.01 KB, 320x241 - viewed 504 times.)

* 360.jpg (16.97 KB, 320x241 - viewed 492 times.)

* 361.jpg (28.16 KB, 320x330 - viewed 507 times.)

Bill KA8WTK
AF9J
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 09:40:05 PM »

Hu Bill,

Hmmmmm,  a 4-pin connector, but with the reverse scheme (the male part is in the mic) of the 4-pin my TS-820 uses.  Interesting.  Thanks for the info. on the mic, and thanks for the info in the Cheyenne being very much like the DX-60. Smiley

Ellen - AF9J
W1GFH
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 10:31:41 PM »

The mic plug is an old Amphenol 4-PIN MALE 91-MC4MOT  91MC4MOT

http://www.kenselectronics.com/lists/micplug.htm

and

http://www.oaktreeent.com/microphones.htm

The latter wants $27 for one.  Pain in the butt.  Would be convenient to replace the mic jack with something more available.

And for future ref:

http://www.boatanchor.com/reference/connector.html

Newark may have 'em for $11.  Hard to tell.

Ahah!

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=719-4019&R=719%2D4019&sid=461982001CD9E17F

Could it be Allied has it for $9? Gotta be a catch...
AF9J
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 10:51:25 PM »

Thanks for the info Joe. Smiley  I wonder how much Ken's wants for them.  I've done business with them before (bought a hand mic [yes, I really do prefer hand mics, LOL]for my Tsa-820 from them).

Ellen - AF9J
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 08:20:49 AM »

Like I said, lemme know if you need connectors.  I have the mike connector (4 pin) or the 2 pin (mine had a 2-pin connector like the SB-102), and, I believe, the PS connectors.

They'll do a lot more good in your shack rather than moldering in my junk box.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
AF9J
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 09:32:17 PM »

Well, I just gave the rig and the power supply a once over.  The Cheyenne is externally in good shape.  There are no scratches, or corrosion on it.  Just a little crud and some gunk from a sticker on it.  The frequency slide rule is also dusty (it looks a lot like the one that was on the HG-10B VFO I used with my HW-16 as a Novice,in the early 80s). For now (until I open it up), I'm assuming, that it basically just hasn't been used in a long time.  I tried a couple of the control knobs, and their stiffness bears this out.  BTW, all of the knobs are present, and in good shape.  The mic connector is a 4-pin male Amphenol, and the power plug on the back is a male, 6-pin Cinch-Jones (3 pins per row).

The HP-23A power supply is a bit dirtier, and dustier.  Its shroud is missing a screw.  Also, no cable came with it, so I'll have to make one (what kind of cable can I use, I assume that mic-type is too electrically wimpy for this application?).  The plug is a female, 11-pin octal type (so I'll need to get my hands on the male version).

What can I say?  So far so good. It looks like a weekend project for me to clean things up.  I'm not going to screw with things, until I get my hands on a manual (the one on BAMA is very incomplete).

Ellen - AF9J
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 11:15:07 PM »

I imagine you can get them cheaper, but I bought one from someone here once

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=heathkit+11+pin+power

David, K3TUE
WQ9E

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 11:32:14 PM »

Hi Ellen,

Glad you got your rig okay!  If nobody on here has a spare, I believe that Leeds Electronics (www.leedselect.com) has the 11 pin connectors and hoods.  The six pin jones plugs are still available from Mouser, either under the Cinch or Molex (series 3300) brand names.  I make up cables using continuous lengths of heat shrink tubing (also available from Mouser and others) over individual wires, just be sure and use heavy wire for the filament leads and properly insulated wire for the HV lead.  Fair Radio sells nice teflon insulated HV wire in 100 foot rolls that will easily handle any voltage you should run into in ham rigs and unlike the stuff I once got from RF parts the insulation is easily and cleanly removable.

WD-40 followed by a "proper" more permanent lubricant does wonders for stiff controls.  I once bought an SB-610 whose controls were like the Tin man in the Wizard of Oz and WD-40 followed by a few drops of synthetic oil from a syringe loosened the controls and they still are smooth many years later.

73, Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 02:59:49 AM »

The 11 pin male/female connectors were used on a lot of CB's.
Go to Ken's Electronics:
http://www.kenselectronics.com/lists/pwrcord.htm
Down the page, close to the bottom; I think they were around $4.00 each.
This must be the month for Cheyenne repairs or resurrections.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ve6pg

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 12:50:06 PM »

..IF ANYONE HAS THE MANUAL, I WUD LIKE A COPY TOO..BAMA'S ISNT GREAT....TIM...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015