The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:51:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W2VJZ / Irb - Estate Sale  (Read 18796 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 08:36:04 PM »

to the victor go the spoils...

Is that like Victor John Zebra?
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 09:19:20 PM »

are you on narcotics? Well, thats quite a message.  Undecided
kf2vm
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 11:25:03 PM »

I've just found out Irb passed. I have been working out of area and found out frm Tim. I kept telling myself I was going to send a letter, or something, but always the "too buzy, I'll do it tomorrow." procrastination took over. Was he in pain? How was his "mindset"? I guess it's human nature to think the Icons of 75 will be there forever. I always find myself shocked when we lose one. Hope his last days were happy.             It seems like life just flies by. Years seem to move quicker than light, dreams slip thru our hands. I didn't even send him a card. I miss all of you. I should be done in Malone in a week. I am planning a trip to Bill's, KC2IFR. Drop of some parts for the 4-1000/833s xmtr. Maybe get a little more prgress on the Cathode Follwer circuit. I'll pop in if it's ok with Bill and say hi to everyone. I think about you guys every day.          JAMIE
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 12:06:24 AM »

well I'm sure all the gear will go to good homes. I'd love the desk,
I could really use it here but then again the same problem with
my home brew kw, getting here from the east coast.  For years
I offered to come up and fix the empire buster. a few years ago
he like the idea, and I was going to make time and put him on
the map again and get the beast going. I never saw the place
in new russia, only liberty corner. Hows the syrup coming out
this year btw, a good flow with the crazy weather?

am forever!
W1UJR
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 03:57:55 AM »

All I want is the windchimes!

I asked Irb yesterday and he said I could have them.
They'll look mighty fine in the 1UJR shack.

By the way, Irb sends his greetings.

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2007, 09:14:30 AM »

From early in this topic:

"The only item not up for auction at this time are the famous Wind Chimes. My wife Kelly likes them soooo... what am I to do?

Please pass this message on to all Irwin's "Irbs" friends and to his " loyal opposition" over the air waves it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your support.
                        Andy & Kelly"

Sorry Bruce.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
wb1aij
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2007, 10:09:20 AM »

Great photos; means so much when you can put an image with the voice & personality that you have known for so long.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2007, 10:24:37 AM »

Perhaps someone can/should contact "Andy & Kelly" and let them know that they'd maybe get a 50% better turnout for their auction if they moved the date to a balmy June day, and not one when there was a big hamfest already scheduled... Huh?

Just a thought.

_-_-bear

How much is the Maple Syrup?
Should get a new label made up:
"Uncle Irb's Olde Tyme 75M Maple Syrup"

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2007, 10:26:37 AM »

From early in this topic:

"The only item not up for auction at this time are the famous Wind Chimes. My wife Kelly likes them soooo... what am I to do?

Please pass this message on to all Irwin's "Irbs" friends and to his " loyal opposition" over the air waves it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your support.
                        Andy & Kelly"

Sorry Bruce.

From the time of Irwin's death:
Quote from: n1exi on December 23, 2006, 07:47:19 PM
"Deeply saddened to hear the news though expected. Gonna miss those chimes."
Greg

And then the next day, over three months ago on December 24th I wrote:
"I do believe that somebody or some group ought to request those wind chimes for public display.  Any ideas as to where they could be kept?"  
vH

Well, now we know.  Kelly's going to keep them.  Do ya' s'pose she'll keep them on public display?

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2007, 02:21:53 PM »

Perhaps someone can/should contact "Andy & Kelly" and let them know that they'd maybe get a 50% better turnout for their auction if they moved the date to a balmy June day, and not one when there was a big hamfest already scheduled... Huh?

But how much of Irb's estate is his ham equipment?  With the property reportedly worth millions, the historic structures built on it and the non-radio antiques in the house, I suspect they can afford a poor turnout for the radio part of the auction.

If I lived close enough to attend the auction , I'd blow the hamfest.  Unfortunately, I'm too far away for either one.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2007, 02:25:04 PM »

Just a thought.

_-_-bear

The New Jersey Auctions is the one who set the date based on their schedule. I wouldn't worry about turnout. The auction data has been well publicized to many of the radio clubs, including antique radio clubs, in the metro NJ, NY, and PA areas. And, as far as I can tell, there isn't a hamfest within 300 miles of Liberty Corner that day. In June already posted, there are 3 hamfests in NY, 1 in NJ, 2 in PA, 2 in CT, 2 in MA, and 1 in MD. It's a busy month if you're a hamfest traveler. I don’t anticipate anything in the way of radio stuff will be left at Irb’s place after May 5th.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 04:10:36 PM »

I guess the locals can buzzard the carcass then...

My point is simply this, I might have driven down, just to be there and snap some shots, being about 160 miles North of Liberty Corners. But being on the same weekend/day as the new "Hosstraders" - that being in the opposite direction, no chance.

The existance of hamfests within 300 miles or not isn't the point, the point being that anyone who is reasonably NORTH of Liberty Corners will have to chose between A) doing nothing, B) going north to Nude Hampster or C) going to Liberty Corners.

But nevermind that - I suspect that the outcome of the auction will be somewhat less $$wise than putting the stuff up on ePay... although that probably doesn't matter much to anyone in particular. So, perhaps a lottery drawing might have been more appropriate, with a fixed $ amount to enter, then the stuff being placed into meaningful  lots by hams who know what the stuff is... the biggest lot being the BC610, and the other xmitrs and receivers being individual lots, then the aux gear being lots, and the parts being divy'd up into lots... Say $ 25 or $50 per ticket and some limit to the number one can buy, the lotter predicated on the sale of say minimum 100 tickets... fair dinkum?

dunno...

Fwiw, the auction is for the HAM GEAR ONLY - not the building or real estate.

http://www.njauctions.net/

_-_-WBear2GCR

PS hope someone from here goes and give us a report on the turn out, the prices of the big stuff, the surprises (stuff that went high, stuff no one really expected to see, goodies, etc... like a carton of 2A3s NIB, etc...) and how long it all took. Oh and decent pix of the proceedings... some wide shots that tell the story would be nice! ;_)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 05:20:08 PM »

Home sweet home.  I've been there and I'm all for historic preservation, but my opinion is that the place should be bulldozed and build a nice new home.  Orient it 180 degrees from the present house and move it back on the back yard plateau so that the front of the house will overlook the downward slope to the nice pond Irb built.

I may attend the auction, not planning to buy, but for the eyeball QSO opportunities.

___ . ___

* 2006_03vjzqth.JPG (132.43 KB, 640x480 - viewed 420 times.)

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015