The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:32:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 meter, 2 meter, 70 cm base or mobil rig  (Read 7537 times)
pintopete
« on: March 30, 2007, 06:23:07 AM »

Hi, I am new to Ham radio and have been trying to get a shack up and running.  I have a Drake TR-4Cw that was donated as a gift.  I am also looking at an Icom 735.  My question is; are there any transceiver rigs out there that cover 6m, 2m, and 70cm ranges?  My thinking was that the two rigs would provide full spectrum coverage.  Used is better because of my budget.  Thanks, Peter.    KC2RBX
AF9J
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 09:52:25 AM »

Hi Pete,

I've been operating on all 3 of those bands for 20 years (I do a fair amount of VHF & UHF, SSB & CW work, along with a smidgen of FM).  If you're looking for a rig that will cover, 6,2, and 70cm you will only have a few choices nowadays.  In rigs that are presently made:

Kenwood TS-2000
Yaesu FT-897D
Yaesu FT-857D
Yaesu FT-817D
ICOM - IC706 MkIIG

All of these rigs have HF through 70 cm capability.

Yaesu's FT-847, and FT-767 (both of which are available used) were also capable of doing HF through 70cm.

If you're looking for a VHF & UHF only rig, the only ones you'll find new, are HTs:

ICOM IC-T90A

With regards to used VHF & UHF only rigs:

1.  Yaesu FT-736R.  By putting different band modules in it, it could be made into a 4-band radio, capabale of 6, 2, 222 MHz/125cm, 70cm, or 1296 MHz/23cm, depending upon which band modules you put in it (it came stock with 2m and 70cm modules; the other modules were quite expensive - about $500 each).  It's a decent rig.  I had one for a number of years with 2m, 125cm, 70cm, and 23cm band modules in it.  Unfortunately, I had to sell it a few years ago, to pay the bills during some hard times. It is also all mode, and capable of doing satellite work.

2.  Yaesu FT-726R - Basically the predecessor to the FT-736R.  The differences were that it only offered 3 bands: 6m; 2m;, and 70cm, and only put out 10W.

3.  ICOM IC-T81 HT

4.  ICOM IC-T8 HT

That's about it.  BTW, 70cm is pretty quiet, except for FM repeaters in some metropolitan areas

Ellen - AF9J
kb1jcy
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 10:37:29 AM »

This thread is a bit "out of scope" for this forum. pintopete, why don't you go over to HamForum.com  (which I'm a moderator for)?

We have a "New Hams" forum.
Tom KC2DTQ
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 11:35:57 AM »

Hi Peter
Welcome to the hobby!!
All of the threads here are AM (Amplitude Modulation) related so here is my slant.
There are a couple ways you can approach a new radio. Check out the AM window to see what nets there are on 6 meters and two meters AM in your neck of the woods. Here is the link. http://www.amwindow.org/nets/netfreq.htm  If there aren’t any VHF nets or activity in your area. Upgrade to HF privileges.
It is my recommendation that you start by buying a multimode “Ricebox” This will get you on the air and you can find the activity in your area. Keep in mind that modern radios will only do about 30 watts AM on 6 meters and HF. 12 watts on 2 meters. A modern radio will be more reliable. Some of the “old buzzards” may recommend buying a vintage radio but get your feet wet before you go this route.

Tom KC2DTQ

pintopete
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 01:16:45 PM »

Sorry, Just clueless.  I'll swing over as suggested.  Thanks, Peter   KC2RBX
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 02:33:15 PM »

Sorry, Just clueless.  I'll swing over as suggested.  Thanks, Peter

Although our primary interest here is AM, feel free to continue to ask questions and make comments. Many of us have the AM mode as our primary interest, but many also use a lot of other modes and even very modern equipment. Besides the homebrew Class E stuff, some of us use the more recent Yaesu's, Icom's, Kenwood's, and some of us are even dipping into the Flex Radio all computer controlled equipment arena.

One piece of equipment that hasn't been mentioned is the more recent Icom IC-7000. This rig covers HF/VHF/UHF and many modes including AM. And unlike the Icom IC-706 series, it works great on AM right out of the box. You might look into this.

Also, check out our AM Online Handbook Section forum, "Modern Rigs". Lots of great info there too.
See: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?board=49.0

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 03:01:54 PM »

H Some of the “old buzzards” may recommend buying a vintage radio but get your feet wet before you go this route.

Tom KC2DTQ

This “old buzzard" doesn't care what you buy. He just wants you to fire up on AM.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 05:32:52 PM »

Maybe we need a New Ham forum or a New AM Ham forum.  PintoPete, don't go anywhere. Stick around. Ask questions.  You'll get answers.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 12:22:45 AM »

This thread is a bit "out of scope" for this forum. pintopete, why don't you go over to HamForum.com  (which I'm a moderator for)?

We have a "New Hams" forum.

I disagree. I was on the old board even before I received a  license.He has come to the right place in my opinion . Smiley Not dissing Hamforum though. (Im a member there also I think)

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015