The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:32:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman 'allergic' to mobiles and microwaves paints her house black  (Read 10598 times)
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« on: March 21, 2007, 02:54:13 PM »

I don't think we'll be hearing her on 75 any time soon:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=443717&in_page_id=1770http://

Some elements of the story are a little suspect.

Sam

--- Post No Bills ---
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 03:21:27 PM »

Its sad that people are like this.  ....... I hope that no one tells her that "Light" is electromagnetic energy.   

On another note, I'm glad that the house insides were painted black. It is much easier on the eyes than using Al foil to cover the walls and windows ..... .. klc

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »

I didn't know TV's were capable of emitting gamma rays.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1GFH
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 03:34:07 PM »

Debbie and her husband Tony often sleep in a silver-plated mosquito net.

That pretty much says it all.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 03:38:08 PM »

When I had my carryout food store 20 years ago, we had a customer that swore that his wife was alergic to microwaves. Some of our sauces and gravies and other dishes were kept cold until served. We would warm them up in a large commercial microwave oven before serving them up. This one guy who used to come in insisted on us giving him the dishes cold, because "My wife is alergic to microwaves"

We all used to think that he was a crock of s#*t, and laughed at him after he left. Maybe there was something to it after all Huh Huh
Hmmm..........................
                                         The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 03:54:15 PM »

Hi Frank,

Maybe food is a capacitor for microwaves, in that it stores the microwave energy!!!

Hey, you never know!

Please do not take me seriously on this post.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 04:21:09 PM »

Some people think I'm nuts for not owning a microwave....
but then I don't trust a third world country to isolate me from a 1 KW transmitter that boilds water from the inside out.

Tom W2ILA

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 05:33:04 PM »

This is a very serious issue.  Thats why I use an AFDB whenever I operate AM:
An Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie (AFDB) is a type of headwear that can shield your brain from most electromagnetic psychotronic mind control carriers.
Homebrew instructions for an effective classEAFDB can be found here:
http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Check out the AMers on this page.
 http://zapatopi.net/afdb/testimonials.html

ILA

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 06:17:52 PM »

This will be next:  a ham will get sued for allegedly causing a near-by resident to have an allergic reaction to his rf signal. Then the FCC will intervene and further tighten up our existing rf radiation standards.

With all the HOA and zoning hassles from people opposing antennas and towers for aesthetic reasons, and the debate whether electrical and magnetic fields from high voltage power lines could be deadly, I am very surprised that RF radiation hasn't already become an issue, albeit bogus, in seeking a  general prohibition of amateur radio operation in the suburbs.

CRT's do emit feeble X-rays, which is a form of gamma radiation, but the glass in the screens of TV's and monitors is supposed to effectively shield against it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 07:23:10 PM »

With all the HOA and zoning hassles from people opposing antennas and towers for aesthetic reasons, and the debate whether electrical and magnetic fields from high voltage power lines could be deadly, I am very surprised that RF radiation hasn't already become an issue, albeit bogus, in seeking a  general prohibition of amateur radio operation in the suburbs.

The NIMBY's are always blasting the cellphone co. or any other outfit that uses an antenna to propogate a signal with their "nuclear" radiation BS.  The uneducated assumes all radiation is the same whether it be EMF or nuclear.   

I once worked for an new FM station in the local area. The antenna was approved by the FCC in the heart of the city of New London.  When several of the residents in the surrounding area experience a little EMI all the aluminum foil hat people came out of the woodwork. We did everything we could to squelch the interference.  We had a few who were intent on shutting us down because of the "radiation" we were emitting.  I was glad I didn't have to deal with these halfwits, management did. 

99% of the people who experienced interference had inferior consumer electronic equipement.  Trying to convince them in a nice way that their equipment was at fault fell on deaf ears.  When I heard complaints that they had spent $100 dollars on their radio I wanted to fire back that the station owners spent $50,000 on their transmitter but I bit my tongue and soaked it up.

Eventually we relocated the transmitter and antenna to a more rural site with a much higher tower. Both sides were happy in the end.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 07:56:04 PM »

Isn't that something? The government spent billions on those mind control waves and 50 cents worth of aluminum foil can defeat it.

This is a very serious issue.  Thats why I use an AFDB whenever I operate AM:
An Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie (AFDB) is a type of headwear that can shield your brain from most electromagnetic psychotronic mind control carriers.
Homebrew instructions for an effective classEAFDB can be found here:
http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Check out the AMers on this page.
 http://zapatopi.net/afdb/testimonials.html

ILA

WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 09:18:19 PM »

AMer admitted to ICU with slop bucketitis full recovery expected after coax is pinned
kf6pqt

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 10:23:42 PM »

That woman doesn't know about the old-fashioned home remedy for that sort of ailment.

Its called "a slap upside the haid."

I'm sure a couple of those would fix her right up.

Wink

-Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
WB3JOK

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 09:08:53 AM »

I am very surprised that RF radiation hasn't already become an issue, albeit bogus, in seeking a  general prohibition of amateur radio operation in the suburbs.
That's why I have an indoor magnetic-loop antenna at the Maine city QTH, so no one knows I'm there! Big Outdoor Antennas, even if not connected, already are KNOWN by EVERYONE to cause interference to TV's and garage door openers, attract lightning, cause cars not to start, PC's to crash, and possibly impotence, sudden death and anal leakage.

CRT's do emit feeble X-rays, which is a form of gamma radiation, but the glass in the screens of TV's and monitors is supposed to effectively shield against it.

<nitpick> X-rays and gammas are both forms of electromagnetic radiation.  X-rays are generated by electron energy decay, whereas gammas come from a nucleus (or, for example, the annihilation of an electron + positron). Once the electromagnetic wave is "launched" the two types of radiation are indistinguishable...
</nitpick>
 Grin

Also, a tinfoil beanie will not be effective as shielding against x-rays (or gammas) since it's too thin (and light). Even a really dense material such as lead takes over 1 cm. to reduce the intensity of 1 MeV gamma radiation by a factor of two!
-Charles
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 09:40:03 AM »

Charles, How is that loop working for you. There was a guy on 160 Tuesday night with a 15 foot six sided loop with 3 inch pipe. He was strapping.  gfz
WB3JOK

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 09:49:06 AM »

Not bad... My 8 ft loop (of 1" copper) is what I use on 40m (and rare forays into the evening 75m septic tank). I don't have anything to compare it to (although I'm sure it's down a bit from a dipole). AA5TB's loop ant calculator shows -1 db on 40 and -5 db on 75, still only an S-unit or less. And you can't beat it for size and "indoorability"...

Also I have a 4 ft. (1/2") loop on 20m mounted on a PVC pipe stand. I've worked central Europe and the Caribbean barefoot on the HW-101.

I'm thinking of a tinfoil beanie myself... they're only about 8' from my operating positionFCC Bulletin 65 calculation says I shouldn't be frying anything important though Cool

-Charles
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 05:48:11 PM »

the x rays, measured in electron volts, by a tv were tied
to the anode voltage. higher voltage = higher energy rays.
I remember the olders color tvs, people were worried.
I think older xray machines were 80-100kv.

loops work well, I had one on 80mtrs some twenty
years ago, 2" copper pipe. got out well

am forever!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 06:18:09 PM »

AA5TB's loop ant calculator shows -1 db on 40 and -5 db on 75, still only an S-unit or less.

Compared to what? Also, do these numbers include losses due to nearfield coupling?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 09:23:35 PM »

Dean,
I remember that loop against the living room wall a long time ago.....
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 02:54:26 AM »

Some of us want all the radiation we can get....zap zorch sizzle....AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!111111111one

I got 60 treatments by this baby here. I now giggle when they do a xray and make me put that vest on.
W1UJR
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 09:31:32 AM »

Clearly psychosomatic, unless her physiology is radically different from every other human on the planet.
And black paint makes her house RF proof how?

The simple methodology to settle this once and for all this is the classic double blind test.
Put her in a empty room with a real cellphone, and then test again with just a empty cell phone case.

My money is on its all in her head.
Its not secret that the mind is a very powerful tool, and when we want to be sick, it can conjure up all kinds of physical and mental illness.
Usually folks who have too much time on their hands and for some reason need to feel like a victim.

My worry is that this concept will spread amongst those of our population who feel they deserve "special attention", and become the next cause célèbre on Oprah!
Or, as someone else mentioned, such a person could really become an issue, read lawsuit, to those of us who might live near by and use RF.

First it was "global warming" and now its "RF Cooking", we are all doomed!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015