The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:33:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning IC's and IC sockets.  (Read 5500 times)
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« on: March 27, 2007, 06:48:05 AM »

Looking for some ideas - -

I have a Dorrough 610 processor that has many IC's that need to be "tickled" ( re-seated) from time to time to allow the processor to work . ( common problem)

What is the best, non intrusive way to clean the IC sockets.  I use the eraser of a pencil to clean up the legs of the IC.

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 06:55:04 AM »

Wet a paper towel with some DeOxit, then wipe across the IC pins.  Insert the IC back in and jiggle it a bit to distribute the DeOxit.

I have had to replace IC sockets in really stubborn cases though.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:12:22 PM »

John has the best idea, might take a few tries. DeOxit leaves a light film on the pins, so it won't require re-soaking.

If it's not too hard to get to, check the socket solder joints on the bottom of the board as well. Removal and re-seating can cause these to get goofy over time with similar results.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 03:40:53 PM »

Gary,
The quality of the socket makes a big difference. The ones with gold sockets are the best (Augat) Deoxit also works on switch and connector contacts. Whenever I change an IC in something I want to keep I install a quality socket. gfz
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:08:24 PM »

DeOxIt only on the IC leads will work but you're still asking for trouble later down the road.  DeOxIt will leave residue that attracts dust and other contaminants and then you're back at square one.  This option is a PITA but yank the sockets and solder the IC's in place. No more need for contact cleaner. Problem gone once and for all.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 09:21:17 PM »

Gary,
Never use an eraser on electronic equipment. It removes the plating and makes the problem worse in the long run. Also eraser can cause EDS failures or soft failures that will drive you crazy.
I was talking to one of our Cal Lab guys today and he cleans with alcohol before using deoxit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015