The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:06:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OPINIONS: Which Tubes  (Read 5427 times)
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« on: March 24, 2007, 05:34:39 PM »

I would like to know, is there somewhere a good survey of tubes and their common application and perhaps opinions them in those applications?  I know there are a lot of tubes and perhaps this is a silly question, but I was just wondering if anyone had stumbled upon such a thing.

David, K3TUE
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 08:18:57 PM »

Dave, probably everything you want to know about application is in a transmitting tube manual except opinions.   Grin
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 09:25:14 AM »

try franks tubes for specs. There are many others but this one seems to have the most.

da dit da.

http://frank.pocnet.net/

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 12:15:01 PM »

And,

There is always the older ARRL Ham Radio Handbook.
The back pages list tubes, in categories of RX tubes,  Triode transmitting and Tetrode/Pentode tubes usually in ascending plate dissipation ratings.  The mid sixties is about the limit of usefullness of these tables,  as solid state begins to nibble at the edges of these listings.

The tables are really just data,  and no opinion,  but useful.  These handbooks in conjunction with the construction articles in the HB's and QST should be a big help.

Good Luck   Vic  K6IC
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 12:50:42 PM »

If you're gonna homebrew something, pick tubes that are cheap and easy to find..  There are plenty of cool construction projects in '50s magazines that unfortunately use unobtainium tubes nowadays.

Anything using 1625s (12V fil version of an 807), 2E26s, 5894s, 4-400s, 811As, 6CL6s, etc., is gonna be much easier to find replacements for than that PL172 modulated by a pair of V-70Ds  driven by a  KT88 Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 02:47:34 PM »

Don't for get the venerable 813!!!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 08:00:54 PM »

Just Curious, what are the tubes depicted in this pic?

http://amfone.net/Gallery2/d/206-2/PICT2576.JPG

David, K3TUE
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 10:40:04 PM »

872B's in the rectum fryer area of W2PFY's

circle bar W  --  MW-2 4KW AM radio...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 06:51:37 AM »

Could be 8008s?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 07:12:33 AM »

Well guys, thanks for the interest in my transmitter. The rectifier has six 872A's in the three phase Hv for 4 KV at 4 amps. The two on the right are for 400 volts positive at 1 amp. The two on the left are 4B32 gas rectifiers that supply 400 volts negative at 1 amp.

The rectifier weighs 800 pounds and that’s without the plate transformer. That is outside of the cabinet. The Westinghouse MW-2 can put out 2.5 KW am or 3KW on CW. I have the power transformer set on the lowest tap and it’s just under the limit. The rectifier was designed to operate three transmitters and modulators at the same time at reduced output. Most likely, each transmitter would have been adjusted to put out about 1.2 KW on AM.

It makes a lot of noise but it’s fun to operate. It can be heard on the Audio vault here on G’s site or on the air once in awhile. I’ll be up there at the transmitter location this coming weekend. If anyone would like to work me on it, let me know.

Her is a link to more pictures,

http://picasaweb.google.com/WW2PFY/W2PFYStationPhotos

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015