The AM Forum
June 26, 2024, 03:44:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Heathkit HO-10  (Read 4984 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: March 19, 2007, 05:51:40 PM »

With a few mods, the HO-10 makes a good monitor scope.

Stock, it sucks.  Too much hum in the trace, both vertical and Z-axis (brightness) are 60~ hum modulated.  I had to reroute the filament line, and replace that little piece of tin can stock wrapped around the neck of the scope tube, with a real electromagnetic CRT shield salvaged from some piece of surplus gear.  I also beefed up the filtering in the HV power supply.

I don't use the vertical amplifier, but couple the rf directly to the crt deflection plate.  So I pulled out the tube in the vertical amplifier, and the slopbucket two-tone generator.  Less load on the power supply, and now have that extra compactron as a spare.

If the compactron ever becomes unobtainium, each internal section is equivalent to a 6C4 or 12AU7.  I once had it figured out exactly how I would make the conversion, but that was years ago, and I have since collected a couple of spares.

Mine eventually crapped out a power transformer.  I have heard that is a very common problem.  I found a parts junker at a hamfest with a good xfmr and got my modified one going again.

Regarding the hum, it is due to poor design, and Heath admits as much in the assembly manual.  They state that hum in the trace is normal, but should be not make the scope "less useful" as a modulation monitor scope.

IIRC, I also modified the CRT focus circuitry to add astigmatism control, to get a cleaner, finer trace.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 07:13:32 PM »

Just easier to use a $5 hamfest scope....

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 07:56:46 PM »

If one is using the Apache/Mohawk/SB-10 combo, the HO-10/-13 cabinet and front panel colors will match the rest of the rigs. "The Heathkit Look"

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015