The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:37:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G5RV Antenna  (Read 2546 times)
wb1aij
« on: March 18, 2007, 04:52:50 PM »

Bought a G5RV antenna (40-10 meters) about 3 years ago and threw it in the cellar. Didn't put it up until a couple of months ago. One end is about 40 feet up & the other is about 25 feet.I am very surprised at its performance, especially on 20 meters. I have worked Amsterda, Morrocco, Croatia, Bosnia,Greece, Sicily, Spain, Germany, North Ireland during pileups and got right in with 1 or 2 calls. Also worked almost all the states without trying (I am not into contests or certificates. The best thing about it is that it far exceeded my expectations and that is a rare thing.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 04:59:47 PM »

Sounds like you are having some fun on 20. The G5RV was originally designed as a 20 meter directional antenna. You should get its best performance on that band.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 04:38:40 AM »

Bob
I did the same thing except mine is still in the packaging sitting on the basement floor where I left it 3 or 4 years ago.

Bought a G5RV antenna (40-10 meters) about 3 years ago and threw it in the cellar. Didn't put it up until a couple of months ago. One end is about 40 feet up & the other is about 25 feet.I am very surprised at its performance, especially on 20 meters. I have worked Amsterda, Morrocco, Croatia, Bosnia,Greece, Sicily, Spain, Germany, North Ireland during pileups and got right in with 1 or 2 calls. Also worked almost all the states without trying (I am not into contests or certificates. The best thing about it is that it far exceeded my expectations and that is a rare thing.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
wb1aij
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 07:15:30 PM »

Bob
I did the same thing except mine is still in the packaging sitting on the basement floor where I left it 3 or 4 years ago.

Well, Bob, if my memory serves me right you have a very big back & side yard; CERTAINLYwill accomodate a G5RV and then some. So what are you waiting for? Antennas look so beautiful with the sky as a backdrop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015