The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:22:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recapping a Ranger  (Read 2565 times)
W4FCC
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:59:15 AM »

I'm getting ready to order the caps I need to revive my old Ranger.  I don't plan to do any mods, just get the old Johnson breathing again.  The HV, LV, and bias filter caps are pretty easy calls.  I'm concerned about the bypass caps in the first audio stages though (I'm at work and don't have the schematic in front of me), but dual section 15 uf aren't common nowadays, what affect will it have on the freq response if I use 22 uf instead?

Mods may be in the future for this transmitter, but I don't want try to be too slick with it just yet. 

thanks,

Rick
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 11:31:03 AM »

Rick, the difference in value there is insignificant.  I don't think there will be much of any difference at all.  Should you decide to broaden the audio, there are numerous mods to the Ranger out there. See the AM WINDOW link at the top of the page.
W4FCC
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 10:33:51 AM »

Thanks Mack.

Yeah, #1 ESS, that's been a while!  I've been doing Wireless the past 15 years, and I've found that during that time I've forgotten a lot of the "real radio" stuff I used to know-- such as what bypass caps in an amp do to the freq response.  One thing I will say for AMers is that they tend to know their stuff, and I have a lot of cobwebs to blow out.  I've had to dig up books I haven't looked at in nearly 35 years to re-educate myself on things such as tube rectifiers, etc.-- stuff that ought to be K-5 learning.

I didn't used to be this dumb, it ain't gonna stay that way!

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015