The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:20:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Line Bypass Capacitors  (Read 4408 times)
K0ARA
Contributing

The Bull

« on: March 08, 2007, 08:14:13 AM »

I'm in the process of restoring a DX-100, is it wise and or safe to eliminate the line bypass caps when converting the 2 conductor power cord to a fused 3 conductor grounded cord?

Thanks
Mike KA0ARA

* boatanchors.gif (56.45 KB, 390x360 - viewed 290 times.)

Mike KØARA                99.9% AM
                 AMI  #1692
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 09:37:56 AM »

These caps will put a bit of AC current into the chassis. It may cause enough offset to trip a GFI breaker.  You will get a buzz off the chassis if it isn't properly grounded. Third wire sohould take care of that. But ask yourself you bypass the hot lead to the green lead how does that help you.  I don't think they would effect the TX operation.  In the days of TVI it may have been more of an issue. I put series beads on my Viking 2 when I changed the cord making more room inside the chassis.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 09:53:59 PM »

AC Line Capacitors for better tone.

* blackbeauties.jpg (13.85 KB, 400x190 - viewed 424 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 07:51:10 AM »

In the old days before cable and satellite tv, transmitters were shielded and bypassed out the yingyang to help eliminate tvi. Nowadays it is not as critical. I am still an advocate of bypassing and shielding, but.............. it is sometimes nice to let a little RF leak out. Some transmitters are sealed up so tight that it is tough to hear the spot signal in ur receiver. And therefore tough to get a good zero beat.  So sometimes a little "planned leakage" can be a good thing.

the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 08:05:40 AM »

Might help prevent RF in the audio issues.  The consumer grade audio gear, as I've found, has NO power supply RF filtering whatsoever.

THere are special disc caps that are rated for this service, can't remember the types, but don't use anything less than 1KV rating for 'em.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 08:13:14 AM »

John that is why I put some series beads on the line. But that would be the way to reduce RF if it becomes a problem. Yes 1 KV caps minimum. new homes require GFI breakers in the basement so it would be a source of placing ac currents on the safety ground causing an imbalance.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 08:20:44 AM »

Might help prevent RF in the audio issues.  The consumer grade audio gear, as I've found, has NO power supply RF filtering whatsoever.

THere are special disc caps that are rated for this service, can't remember the types, but don't use anything less than 1KV rating for 'em.

So so true! But most of the rf in the audio problems are usually from "near field" radiated rf from the antenna getting back into things, or from crappy antenna and rf "patch cord" radiation.

I agree, NEVER use anything less that 1kv rated disks for line bypasses!
(Actually never bother with disks rated less than 1kv for anything if you can help it) The special ones that they make for that (line bypass) are kinda beefy looking, a little larger physically, and usually rated something like 1400, or 1600v.
                                                 The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 03:41:59 PM »

AC Line Capacitors for better tone.

Careful what you post.  That photo is going to give some audiophools an orgasm!

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015