The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:09:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: x  (Read 13333 times)
n4vgb
x
« on: March 02, 2007, 12:02:11 AM »

x
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 12:41:25 AM »

It looks like the "evac" part of the tube was left on... to what purpose?? I don't know...   klc

What? Me worry?
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 07:02:13 AM »

I would avoid them. Normally, ALL tubes have a port like that sticking out of the bottom (or top) in the vacuum forming process that makes the glass envelope. The machine then sucks the tube down thru there, and heats it up close to the tube. A quick twist while the suction port is red, and the tube is sealed with a 1/2" long tip-off.

I've heard of these 833's floating around. I guess they were supposed to be tubes that didn't pass QC for one reason or another and were pulled off the machine before evacuation, but I've never seen one. (common QC fail would be the pins not being straight) That might explain the funny coloring on the anode. Maybe someone tried to fire it up.

One way or another, unless your getting them for free, I would keep looking.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 01:42:33 PM »

Well there is a guy on eBay selling them NOS now. Do a search. I asked him about that. It seems the long stem was for filament & plate sediments. In the last days of AM tube radio transmitters and before solid state BC transmitters came on the market, there was premature failing of Amperex 833A tubes when subjected to Hip Hop and Rap music. They beefed up the internal workings of the tube but found without the long stem the diffused plate material would fill up the bottom of the envelope and eventually short out the grid leading to a thunderous implosion. This sound was recorded by a specially developed vacuum microphone installed in the glass of a test Amperex 833A. Amperex only made 5000 of these specialty tubes. They discontinued when it was found that large bass notes on Hip Hop, would shake the tube violently in the socket and brake off the stem.

Stemming from that experience, the Long Stem Amperex 833A is no more.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
kc2ifr
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 02:00:16 PM »

Terry,
I cant stop laughing.........jeeezz.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 02:54:10 PM »

thats a load of crap. more likely those tubes have nothing but air in them because he got a hold of a bunch of unfinished rejects out of a dumpster that failed some QC test prior to evacuation of the tube. No vacuum in those babies, I bet.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 03:08:37 PM »

thats a load of crap. more likely those tubes have nothing but air in them because he got a hold of a bunch of unfinished rejects out of a dumpster that failed some QC test prior to evacuation of the tube. No vacuum in those babies, I bet.

But if that's the case, why is the end of the stem closed off?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 04:56:29 PM »

hats a load of crap. more likely those tubes have nothing but air in them because he got a hold of a bunch of unfinished rejects out of a dumpster that failed some QC test prior to evacuation of the tube. No vacuum in those babies, I bet.

What's a load of crap?  I also thought that perhaps they weren't sucked down but the guy selling the on eBay has them in sealed boxes.

Rather strange how serious some of you guys are.

kc2ifr
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 06:03:27 PM »

I gotta jump here.....Terrys post was a JOKE......that was obvious....but it seems that some people took it seriously. No one is trying to argue with anybody I hope.
Sometimes this board gets a little tedious. Lets not take ourselves so freeken seriously.
Have a nice weekend.
Bill
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 06:16:36 PM »

"long stemmed 833a's" I can't stand it.

It's especially funny when sarcasm misses some people and not others.

Thank's for the laugh.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 06:25:47 PM »

I think those are male 833s
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 01:32:44 PM »

One of those tubes would make a good slime-o-tron!

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9464.0;attach=1602;image

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 02:36:07 PM »

The one minor problem with conversing in text is one may not pick up on sarcasm or wiseguy remarks especially if emoticons aren't used unlike conversing verbally or face to face where voice inflections and facial expressions can easily discern horsing and kidding around.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 08:10:19 AM »

I apologize for my post poking fun at an Amperex 833A. That’s all it was. There was no need for this to go in another direction. I was hoping that someone would come up with something funny about the engineering of that tube. I did my best. I guess it failed.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 11:51:11 AM »

I think those are male 833s

Maybe they havent been circumsized yet!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA3VJB
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 01:39:57 PM »

Actually Frank, you are very close.

These are clearly very young tubes, not yet fixed for servicing transmitters.

For those with farm backgrounds, you may have heard of "wether sheep," and these are pre-wether.

Once you complete the "process," as with a young sheep, you have quite the serviceable tube.

* 833A-wx.jpg (418.88 KB, 894x600 - viewed 858 times.)

* Sheep'82.jpg (88.45 KB, 900x600 - viewed 922 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015