The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:37:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drake TR-3  (Read 2654 times)
n3lrx
« on: February 28, 2007, 01:42:02 AM »

I've got a Drake TR-3 that I am thinking about using as an exciter for an E RF Deck. At the moment it doesn't work, but I have the skitzo-matics and I can probably fix it. It receives but does not Xmit. Would this thing be able to hold up to an Old Buzzard Key down if I used it in CW or AM to drive the Class E Amp? I don't plan in using it for more that a few watts. Probably less than half it's full rated output which I believe is 50W PEP on AM (300W PEP Input).

I know nothing about Drakes, I've heard they're great for Slop bucket or CW but what about for extended key down on AM or CW?
W7IXZ

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 01:50:55 PM »

You should have no trouble with the TR-3 in the CW mode as a driver.  I used to run my T-4XB, key down on RTTY back in the 70's and never had any problems with it.  The TR-3 has three finals and the T-4XB has two so I would guess you could get all the drive you need without damage to the Drake.  I have been working on the T-4XB as a driver for one of my broadcast rigs.  Good luck.
Larry
W7IXZ
n3lrx
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 02:21:10 PM »

Cool,
I have yet to take the covers off and see why it's not transmitting but hopefully it will. I wont even need to run it at full output so it should stay pretty cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015