The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:56:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W3NCC turns 90 this year  (Read 3662 times)
WA3VJB
« on: February 25, 2007, 08:55:28 PM »

Anyone heard from Dick Richard near Pittsburgh recently?

I was picking through the Audio Vault and heard a nice recording of him from a few years ago.

Looked him up in the database and see year of birth 1917, yeah !!

Hope he's doing okay.

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 12:30:13 AM »

Please Paul, his name is  R I C H A R D  ...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 08:15:25 AM »

Last I heard, he sold ihe house, disposed of his gear and moved into a retirement home somewhere around a year or so ago.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N6WDR

N6WDR World Domination Radio

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 09:17:20 AM »

Please Paul, his name is  R I C H A R D  ...

Yeh.... us Richard's take offense to being a Dick  Grin unless we are at work then it is appropriate lol.

Richard

SSB is for Sissy's... AM Is For Real Men
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 12:10:52 PM »

if anyone can find where he is or give me the full info privately, I'll commit to going and visiting him next time me and Gloria go back to Johnstown. it would only be a hour or so away. I'd like to visit.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 01:17:10 PM »

Timmy,
         See if you can get hold of Dewitt (N4QNX) I think he still keeps in touch with him.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 09:42:35 AM »

Richard is doing well. It took two attempts but finally talked to him. He is a CW guy now on 40. He mentioned that he has some regulars there and they call themselves the "Burnt Nose" group. A reference to the old timers that used carbon mikes to modulate their tank circuits.

His birthday is in June.

His antenna farm has grown from an just an attic dipole to a hidden vertical in the back patio area.

He sounded spry, clear, which was actually better than the last contact with him. I had never met him before that point but my uneducated thought was that he seemed a litttle depressed. I knew the story of his wife dying and the move to a new spot so I figured that he had a good reason.

I thought it was interesting that he mentioned that he built transmitters for people in the past and did say that he still would now. Looking to keep busy I suppose. I can only pray that I will be active at 90.

He didn't seem to readily click on the couple of callsigns I mentioned from this list but did enjoy hearing of the kind thoughts and interest.

I was told to stop by so I will try when the weather clears a bit. Might be good for my son to meet him since all of the family Grandfathers are gone.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 10:36:09 PM »

Bob, thanks for the report on Richard. I wondered what became of him. He was quite prominent during the later night hours on 75 meter AM in the past. His big signal from Pittsburgh has been missed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015