The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 12:45:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: x  (Read 7692 times)
n4vgb
x
« on: February 14, 2007, 04:42:10 PM »

x
kc2ifr
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 05:14:51 PM »

All I can say is "WOW". I hear about this kinda stuff but have never seen it.
OUCH.......
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:50:15 PM »

yes, the pictures are really grizely looking...    klc

What? Me worry?
W2JBL

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 08:09:56 PM »

well that tops the large dead rat i found stuck in the (shorted/dead) HV supply of a lowband GE 1/4KW rig at a site years back, and by about 400 pounds! does this mean if i install "undergound" AC mains feed to my Adirondack Mountain station i'll bag the damn black bear that's been harassing me up there? i was gonna shoot him but this would be easier to explain to the game warden...
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 08:25:53 PM »

Hey Chris,
                 Is Mr bear still chasing you out of the outhouse?? sounds like it is getting to be time for a bear meat cooking contest!!
                                                                The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 08:42:50 PM »

I had an encounter with a rattle snake some year back at a remote site.  At least I could outrun it, but I couldn't a bear.  Thank goodness bears don't live here.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 09:13:18 PM »

I feel sorry for the poor B..stard.  Not a nice way to go.  Wonder what he was after?
"Tasty Cable" ?
3rsw

RICK  *W3RSW*
wb1aij
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 12:23:31 PM »

What kind of voltages are we talking about here? Is this the primary side of a step down utility xfmr. Seems unlikely that this was 120 vac. What is the rectangular component in-line with the wire in the center photo?
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 12:40:22 PM »

Hey -

Mr Bear should have done like the League says:

"Switch for safety" or kept one paw in his fur

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 08:06:08 AM »

If that cell site is way back in the boonies, they prolly piped fairly voltage back to it and stepped it down at the transmitter shack. that way they dont get a nasty voltage sag with the long feeders. I kinda doubt that 120v would cause that kind of charring of the bear's flesh.

I almost got the same thing at a local hospital 10 years ago working on a parking gate. It was a rainy day and I got nailed with 480! That stuff friggin hurts!! The gates were so far from the main building that they piped 480 out to the gate heads and stepped it down to 120 inside the gate heads. This made it possible to use much smaller wire for the long runs.

The Slab Bacon

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 11:50:44 AM »

There's gotta be a better way to floss....

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W2JBL

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 09:09:41 PM »

Frank- Mr. Bear bangs his fat butt on my kicthen door at 3AM, leaves big tracks around my car at the bottom of the mountain, and hangs around close to my porch after dark. last October when going out to releive myself at about 10PM i heard him rustling in the brush less than a hundred feet from the porch. my golden stream turned into a pensive dribble as i realized it was NOT my neighbor coming up for a few beers. that bear smells a whole
lot worse than my neighbor Billy... in two years i have yet to get a clean "legal" shot at him. only exception was the first meeting, twenty feet from my outhouse and moving toward me grunting/snorting. unfortunately
my trusty 1916 Obendorf Mauser 98 was on the porch, not slung over my shoulder. he was gone before i could get to my rifle. the current NY State Encon Police rule for "problem" bears that invade/harrass camps or campsites is shoot on sight, at least in the Adirondack Park.   
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 04:05:09 AM »

The gates were so far from the main building that they piped 480 out to the gate heads and stepped it down to 120 inside the gate heads. This made it possible to use much smaller wire for the long runs.                                       

Reminds me of the Timtron story of when he piped HV down the hill using a couple of plate transformers back to back, via open wire antenna feedline, to get a.c. power into his house before he could get a pole and transformer installed.  The line came down in a windstorm and started a grass fire (not the big one).  The power company guy was hyellofied!

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 01:28:24 PM »

Don,
      I have heard Timmy tell that story several times. It leaves me shaking my head. Only the Timtron!!

The Slab Bacon

n3lrx
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 02:14:51 PM »

"that bear smells a whole
lot worse than my neighbor Billy... in two years i have yet to get a clean "legal" shot at him."

Who, the bear ir your neighbor Billy? Cheesy
W2JBL

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 10:06:17 PM »

neighbor Billy Mac smells like a hamfest but is good company and also has bigbore rifles. he bagged his bear in the LIVING ROOM a few years ago on it's third breakin.  i'm gonna waste the present bear if he gets much closer or tries anything.
W2JTD

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 10:14:05 AM »

The fried vomit is a nice touch.

- Paul, JTD

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015