The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:59:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hosstraders - No More!  (Read 15287 times)
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2007, 04:33:40 PM »

I'm with you Joe,
       Although I missed a few being in AZ, always have a blast seeing
everyone and partying. it will be missed.

am forever!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »

Now look at it from a different angle. Imagine your butt on the line coming up with a site and insurance to cover some of the stupid stuff that went down over the years.
I'm very surprised these guys have hung in there this long.   

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 10:18:38 PM »

I had it too easy. Hosstraders was always within a half hour drive.

* times.jpg (73.15 KB, 500x500 - viewed 365 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 11:25:39 PM »

* dontlookback.jpg (38.52 KB, 365x435 - viewed 349 times.)

--- Post No Bills ---
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 01:06:01 AM »

Yep, I'm going to miss Hosstraders, too. Although I have'nt been there in probably 5 or 6 years, I went many times back in the early 80's to around 2000. Many parts here at W2XR came from that place.

Too bad; I was going to go there this Spring.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 01:23:16 PM »

Geez, guys...I said in October that it was my last Hosstraders, not the last one!   Roll Eyes

It was somewhat eerie to get the call Friday evening from 'UJR telling me the news. Eerie because just the night before I was talking with Joe, 'PJP via LL about the spring fest (since the house didn't sell and I'm still here), and he mentioned that the guys had yet to post a date. I recall saying something like 'I think they were having trouble booking the fair grounds, but they did seem to be dropping hints the last few times'. Some of the announcements over the P.A. did seem like maybe they were gently trying to prepare us for the inevitable.

Having started a small hamfest years ago for the local club, I can certainly agree that it's a LOT of work! Even with help, it's a lot to do. And you're busy throughout, you don't get to go enjoy time with your mates, it can really grind you down. These guys really must've enjoyed the experience to have done it so long. After 2 years I had a parting of the ways with the club and they basically ran the 'fest into the ground. So I can certainly relate to Joe, Norm, and Bob not wanting their event of 30+ years to be left to others who may not share the same enthusiasm. Better to leave folks with a good fest and good memories.

I also have to agree with what 'HUZ mentioned in the Announcement section. Somewhere in a box at home are flyers from the BARC convention back in the 50s, showing the schedule. It was a weekend event with dinner, dancing, forums, an auction, and on Satruday afternoon - a fleamarket. The buying and selling was a piece of the event, not the entire event. I sincerely hope the AM community can put together an event at least yearly to get together. For food, fun, socializing and maybe passing off a few items in order to bring home different once.

It was great to meet new folks at this last event, as well as seeing the 'HUZ and 'JN in town for it. I bet Paul 'VJB is glad he made it back up here last spring, too. Heartfelt thanks to Bob, Joe, and Norm for giving us a great gathering for decades, and to everyone in the radio community for their part in making it the great event it was, rain or shine. G is right - last October was superb. You couldn't ask for a better ending to the story.

I wanted to go to Frank's Timonium Afterfest Party anyhow, but now it's even more of a goal.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 07:24:56 PM »

I encourage that idea, Todd  Grin

Ya come down, ya got a place to stay.  I'm about 45 min west of Baltimore right off the interstate.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015