The AM Forum
June 02, 2024, 09:56:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ants  (Read 6300 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: February 11, 2007, 09:46:02 PM »

well,
It is that time of the year again. Every year about this time we are invaded by little pissants.  My Daughter just spotted some in the livingroom. The weird thing is it is in the middle of the house away from outside walls.
I made them up a batch of apple jam and borax. Now they will have a big party and die.
They usually show up after a real cold snap. they make my shin crawl.
n3lrx
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 09:26:33 AM »

Amdro Ant Block.. Works like a charm.. Sprinkle it around your foundation and they will be no more!

I've got a sandy area and had a terrible problems with ant swarms. Sprinkled this stuff around, and a few days later not a single creepy critter in sight. I sprinkle a little around the foundation every couple of months.
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:41:02 AM »

Sounds like it could be carpenter ants..Check out epest supply for the good stuff that really works.
N8LGU

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 09:53:29 AM »

Pissants are tiny whilst Carpenter ants are the big suckers.

"Rock Cave Dave"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 10:10:03 AM »

I've been looking for Amdro. Where did you buy it?

Yup pissants are the little ones.
My daughter told me they were working on a hunk of oat meal.
Cat must have dropped it during breakfast.
Cat and I banished from eating breakfast in front of the tube.
My whole town is sitting on sand so a big problem.
termies also a big deal. Drain oil is effective.
KL7OF

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:44:38 AM »

Carpenter ants come in all sizes....Queen, major and minor workers etc.  Those little guys are the slaves sent out from the nest for food and water...they are useful for carting the poison back to the nest so every ant can have a taste.....Lots of info on the net.....Epest supply has a great carp ant site with pics and info on ant lifestyle..
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 12:06:12 PM »

Find the hole and dump a couple of gallons of gasoline into it!! Works every time!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 12:28:48 PM »

Find the hole and dump a couple of gallons of gasoline into it!! Works every time!

Makes the living room a bit more Unlivable ..... don't it Frank !
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 12:39:16 PM »

Decisions, decisions, decisions!! Do i want antz or do i mind the smell of 'oline.
Too many choices to make. Pickled eggplant will do it also, but who wants to wast that stuff!! Grin Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
n3lrx
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 01:53:48 PM »

I've been looking for Amdro. Where did you buy it?

I found it at the local Lowes I've also seen it at the Home Depot.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 04:58:10 PM »

Frank,
What type of ants are they? Are they the black type carpenter ants?

Those little buggers must be nesting some where in the house if they're coming from the middle of the house.  You need to find their point of origin and work from there to tank'em once and for all.  I'm really surprised that you're seeing them now especially with everything frozen ie. ground, tree trunks etc.  Something must've changed temp wise now that you're seeing them.

I had my episode with them last spring with hundreds getting into the house.  They were coming through the front of the house through a small gap in the front door.  I was able to determine the worker trail and worked back to a dead tree trunk in my neighbors yard about 100 feet away.  Carpet bombed that part of the yard and it put a stop to it.  We'll see what happens this spring.  Hopefully it won't be a repeat but we'll see.  I'm armed and dangerous.

well,
It is that time of the year again. Every year about this time we are invaded by little pissants.  My Daughter just spotted some in the livingroom. The weird thing is it is in the middle of the house away from outside walls.
I made them up a batch of apple jam and borax. Now they will have a big party and die.
They usually show up after a real cold snap. they make my shin crawl.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 05:16:42 PM »

"Quote

Makes the living room a bit more Unlivable ..... don't it Frank ! "

Its winter, just add a match .... ..                klc

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 08:59:20 AM »

Well,
I have a hunk of tin foil with jelley mixed with borax. They usually love it until it kills them. My XYL has only seen one since Sunday. They usually come up from under the solar room floor about this time of the year.
I have a number of small air holes in the floor that I inject bug stuff when I see where they are hiding. I've had them come through the front door before. Sandy soil is a trip. I've had to replace the sill plate around the front door. I use pressure treated wood saturated with drain oil.
That sends them running.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015