The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:15:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W1AW Special Event - February 23, 2007 Milestone  (Read 14634 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: February 09, 2007, 07:56:03 PM »

Getting into the spirit of things.

NEWINGTON, CT, Feb 9, 2007 -- As new Amateur Radio Service rules phase in Friday, February 23, eliminating the Morse code requirement, Hiram Percy Maxim Memorial Station W1AW will mark the milestone with a weekend-long special event. In addition, a number of Central Connecticut volunteer examiners will be on hand at ARRL Headquarters -- both before and after the new rules become effective at 12:01 AM EST -- to offer Amateur Radio examinations under both the current and new rules.

W1AW will be on the air all weekend for this special event to celebrate the fact that so many amateurs have gained or will earn new privileges as a result of the rule changes. The station will operate starting at 12:01 AM Eastern Time on Friday, February 23, continuing into the wee hours and resuming operation during the day. Then W1AW will be on the air on both days of the weekend, from 10 AM until 5 PM -- perhaps longer as conditions and enthusiasm dictate.

For the complete story and frequencies of operation, go here:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2007/02/09/102/?nc=1

W1AW's Vintage Station Setup:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 01:25:27 AM »

Operation will be on both SSB and CW

This would be a serious misappropriation of a station donated for the purpose of demonstrating AM, and comes only a few weeks after the group's failure to showcase the mode of AM as part of its Fessenden 100 years of radio commemoration.

It will be useful to contact both Bob Heil and Joe Walsh to inform them of the latest antics of the group which accepted both the equipment and Joe's substantial monetary donation in good faith.

Let there be no mistake to anyone who believes they are an effective apologist for the group in Newington -- they intend to potentially interfere with AM activity by continuing to use an incompatible mode on an AM "calling frequency" on 40 meters, and near an AM gathering point on 20 meters.

W1AW operators will concentrate their activities on the Technician and General class HF subbands. On SSB, the station will use its normal phone frequencies -- 1.855, 3.990, 7.290, 14.290, 18.160 and 21.390 MHz. On 10 meters, W1AW will operate SSB on or about 28.480 MHz.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 02:57:25 AM »

Actually the picture is unrelated to the pending ARRL, W1AW, activity. I just threw the picture in because I felt like it. Although it's possible to use this setup for SSB and CW, I don't see any SSB adapter nor do I see a key for CW.

The purpose is not to highlight any particular mode but to "celebrate the fact that so many amateurs have gained or will earn new privileges as a result of the rule changes".

Of course, for those that get their buttons tweaked real easy, it might have been more appropriate for them to say “phone and CW” operation.

n3lrx
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 07:00:37 AM »

I seriously doubt they'll even bother using AM anyway since they hate it and would rather see it outlawed. If someone with as much status as Joe Walsh hadn't donated as much as he has I'm sure they'd do their best to see it abolished!

They'll fight tooth and nail for CW being the Godfather of radio, but they wouldn't lift a finger to protect AM the Godfather of VOICE communications unless they had to! Both do have their place in the history of radio and should be protected equally.

This whole effort is probably nothing more than damage control and PR after they got their butts whooped by the FCC throwing out their ideas. Now they want to cash in by kissing butt with the newly privileged hams.
W3DBB

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 02:55:13 PM »

Doug

beautiful downtown Strodes Mills, Pennsylvania
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 12:04:31 PM »

Doug said:
They don't really listen. They'll pretend to listen and then follow the path they perceive as the road to riches. Doesn't seem to be working for them.

I have been saying that for years. Thus, my decision not to join. I voted with my feet!

Doug continued with:
As the ship continues to list hopefully the ARRL Board will wake up and perform due diligence as regards corporate oversight. I like to think of it as letting the free enterprise system do it's job.

Good analogy Doug. I wouldn't hold my breath though. Like the survivors of the Titantic, I would like to find safety and refuge in a life boat. However, the only place I feel safe with regards to amateur radio are those here that fight the good fight and pull the ARRgghhL to task. Those people know who they are and I laud them for their past and continued efforts.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »

My 5 year ARRL membership runs out soon. I am anxious to rejoin the ARRL. However, I can't do so at the present time and feel good about it. It has nothing to do with money. It has everything to do with our National Association for Amateur Radio representing ALL amateurs and promoting ALL legal modes of operation. I don't think that is too much to ask.

In the real world, the ARRL represents its membership. It's voting membership (for Directors and Vice-Directors)  is National. I don't know of any legal modes that the ARRL doesn't promote or support. Maybe you can point us to some discussion or blurb that identifies some modes that they don't support.

They don't really listen. They'll pretend to listen and then follow the path they perceive as the road to riches. Doesn't seem to be working for them.

They're a non-profit organization. What "riches" are you referring to? Like any organization, they incur day-to-day costs that need to be paid.

As the ship continues to list hopefully the ARRL Board will wake up and perform due diligence as regards corporate oversight. I like to think of it as letting the free enterprise system do it's job.

I am anxiously awaiting the day when ARRL has their executive leadership problems rectified, and I can rejoin and contribute monetarily to an organization I believe in.

As a member, you have a say (through voting) on which Director and Vice-Director hold office for your Division. The Directors nominate and vote on which people are going to hold executive leadership positions. As a non-member, you have no control (no voting power) or say on the people holding any position at the ARRL.

Of course, you can always join that splinter pseudo-group called "HAW" (Hams Always Whining) but for what purpose other than self-gratification.

Sorry Pete (I've been apologizing to you a lot lately!) for my off-topic post.

AM RULES, and CW isn't too shabby either!

Doug
KA3TGV

No reason to apologize. Threads always have a habit of wandering from the initial post. Most of us don't care that they do. It's great to share information even if the fur sometimes flies through the air.

"AM RULES" here, but in the real world of amateur radio, it's just another mode to enjoy.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 04:01:57 PM »

Pete said:
In the real world, the ARRL represents its membership. It's voting membership (for Directors and Vice-Directors)  is National. I don't know of any legal modes that the ARRL doesn't promote or support. Maybe you can point us to some discussion or blurb that identifies some modes that they don't support.

You got to be kidding me?!?! Pete, its time you take off your rose colored glasses with the diamonds in them and see the (be)League(d) for what it truly is. A bunch of guys living off the fruits of other people's labor, (dues), promoting their own agenda and attempting to disguise it like it is the wants and needs of the amateur community as a whole. In the words of a syndicated comedy show, "I don't think so, Tim!"

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 06:31:02 PM »

(snip)
This would be a serious misappropriation of a station donated for the purpose of demonstrating AM, and comes only a few weeks after the group's failure to showcase the mode of AM as part of its Fessenden 100 years of radio commemoration.
(snip)

I need to point out that the League DID try to get an AM station as part of the Fessenden 100 year event.  They asked me to set up and operate an AM station at the event.  I was unable to do so due to other commitments (with family) at that time.  I did point the group to other folks who may or may not have been able to help and to provide a station.  I do not know what happened after that.  If I had been able to make the date, there would have been a high power AM station at the event.  I am very sorry it was not possible for me to do at that time - family commitments which I could not get out of.

So, I know they DID try  Wink

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 07:20:57 PM »

Sorry, Steve, they were a day late and $100 short of honestly trying to include AM in the 100 year commemoration of Fessenden's broadcast to ships at sea.

Throughout the yearlong campaign, there was no League-sponsored AM activity, no specific promotion of the mode that Fessenden actually used, and no inclusion of the AM Community in helping participate in the event.

In fact, were it not for the Heavy Metal Rally that same weekend, for which articles were written on QRZ.com and elsewhere, there would probably have been NO crossover to AM by any of the 3 League stations.

As for the Brant's Rock station, sure, that would have been nice to have had on the air, but most suitably as a culmination of a series of promotions and inclusions in the main event.

Did you sign up at the last minute, or did I miss some attention you may have tried to bring to your proposed station, which ended up not happening for reasons I perfectly understand.  Had there been some advance notice, I would bet a substitute station and operator(s) could have been found.

Did anyone promote that you were planning the station for the mode loyal to what Fessenden transmitted?

As it was, W1AW worked only a handful of stations on AM, as far as anyone could tell from their web log, and the ARRL's website itself failed to mention AM as part of the Fessenden activity until the very last day, when someone called the omission to the attention of the organizer of the event in Newington.

Paul/VJB
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 02:20:15 PM »

Fact is;

Not having an AM station centerpiece the Fessenden tribute is like using a florecent light fixture to honor Edison's first light bulb !!

How can you honor a man without showcasing his original achievment ?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 03:49:26 PM »

Quote:
"One hundred years ago, Fessenden transmitted voice from Brant Rock," Barreres said. "One hundred year later, radio amateurs from in and around New England gathered to celebrate our avocation as Amateur Radio enthusiasts and tinkerers, while also spotlighting the accomplishments of those experimenters of a century earlier.
Having W1AW as the flagship station, along with W1F and GB1FVT's operating in Scotland made the end of 2006 something special too."

Voice is phone; phone can be AM, SSB, digital, or FM

You're beating a dead horse.

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 11:35:34 PM »

Voice is phone; phone can be AM, SSB, digital, or FM

Today.... yes.

But Fessenden's voice was AM. The distinction is significant when you offer a tribute.
Or should be. That it makes no difference to you is no surprise.

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 07:09:00 AM »

Sorry, Steve, they were a day late and $100 short of honestly trying to include AM in the 100 year commemoration of Fessenden's broadcast to ships at sea.

Throughout the yearlong campaign, there was no League-sponsored AM activity, no specific promotion of the mode that Fessenden actually used, and no inclusion of the AM Community in helping participate in the event.

(snip)

Hi Paul,

Unfortunate, but true.  The effort to have an AM station as part of the event was mostly due to a couple of people, and not necessarily the League higher-ups.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 08:40:50 AM »

They could have saved themselves a bunch of trouble and just made a phone call. After all, it's voice. Roll Eyes
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 08:58:24 AM »

Gud one HUZ !!

* 300px-Stooges3.jpg (10.08 KB, 300x155 - viewed 830 times.)
K1MVP
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 10:57:57 PM »

The purpose is not to highlight any particular mode but to "celebrate the fact that so many amateurs have gained or will earn new privileges as a result of the rule changes".

"celebrate" the fact that so many will have "gained" new privileges--this
is true,--as far as "earning" new privileges,--THAT IS QUESTIONABLE
                                      73, K1MVP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015