The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:36:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Pet  (Read 10229 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: February 03, 2007, 10:46:53 PM »

I just gave our kitten a shrimp......it made her day.
New she is sitting next to me....I'm a sucker for animals.
She has oat meal with me every morinig during the week......I put a scoop in her bowl with plenty of milk.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 01:36:58 AM »

but do you share your pickled eggplant with her??

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
wb1aij
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 08:59:38 AM »

A dog or a cat; you will never find a truer, more loyal friend. I could go on & on forever with examples of this but those of us who have had this "Blessing from God" know what I am talking about.

Last week on NOVA on public television there was a show on the history of dogs, how they decended from wolves into the many species and how they were living with humans as long as 7000 years ago. It was meant to be. Now if I can just convince my wife of that.
kc2ifr
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 09:46:11 AM »

Now if I can just convince my wife of that.

Many years ago I acquired a dog.....best dog I ever had. My wife hated the thing and told me it was her or the dog.
The dog and I have been very happy ever since......
KL7OF

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 10:15:58 AM »

I once traded for a big transmitter.......A gun, a knife and a dog... I still miss that dog...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 11:59:35 AM »

Hey Frank
I'm a sap but not crazy.......She does like meatballs though
She has been out a couple times in the cold this morning and came home with a cut on her nose.
pigged out and now it is nap time. Too hot in the solar room she went for shade under my daughter's bed.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »

Hey Frank
I'm a sap but not crazy.......She does like meatballs though
She has been out a couple times in the cold this morning and came home with a cut on her nose.
pigged out and now it is nap time. Too hot in the solar room she went for shade under my daughter's bed.

my 80lb meat muncher loves anchovies right out of the can!! Go figger, I got a dago dog!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
nu2b
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 02:34:01 PM »

Could you possibly refer to that as a Shrimp Catail?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 03:07:54 PM »

My Girls:

* zoeyniki2.jpg (170.03 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 327 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 10:55:19 AM »

A dog or a cat; you will never find a truer, more loyal friend. I could go on & on forever with examples of this but those of us who have had this "Blessing from God" know what I am talking about.

I certainly agree!!.  See my little friend NIPPER in the picture.  He's a Jack Russel Terrier and true to the breed, he is sassy, feisty and ornery.  But...you couldn't ask for a more loyal, affectionate, and really smart dog.  He is great fun and a really great companion. And, by the way, quite effective at hunting and destroying pesky ground moles or other critters that tear up the lawn!   My wife and I spoil him rotten, but we have certainly enjoyed having him around. 

If you hear a squeaking sound in the background during a QSO with W9GT, that is probably Nipper playing with one of his toys and bugging me to throw it to him, so he can fetch it. 

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 05:24:24 PM »

It has been firmly established that Dogs tend to be Republicans and Cats tend to be Democrats.

Now which ones are most likely to be slopbucketeers, and which ones AM'ers?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
n3lrx
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 06:57:38 PM »

Growing up I've had critters of all sorts. I love animals of all kinds.. With one exception.. The blasted feral cat that lives in the woods! That SOB gets into my trash if I don't feed it. It pisses on my doorstep, and has even tried to bite me once while I was trying to be kind and feeding the flea bitten varmint. I've never tried to hurt an animal in my life but that SOB got a taste of my foot that day! Surprisingly he still won't leave and always begs for food.

I'm considering getting another Iguana, I had one for 9 years and he passed away a few years ago. He'd fin in the palm of my hand when I brought him home, and he was 5ft. long nose to tail when he died. I'm really wanting to get another. He wasn't fluffy, but he was more of a dog than a lizard. Anyone who knew him would agree. He had an incredible personality for a reptile. I miss him.. Cry
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 08:01:21 PM »

I like both cats and dogs  but dogs make larger crap so you must be right Don,
A dog will eat itself to death while a cat won't further proving your point.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 08:57:56 PM »

Urban myth. I've never seen or heard of a dog eating itself to death. Where do you guys come up with such silliness?
n3lrx
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 10:46:37 PM »

It is somewhat true.. In most cases dogs will devour the entire bowl of food in front of them or at least eat till they can barely crawl away from the dish. Where cat's you can fill their bowl and they'll pick at it all day instead of gulping as much as they can in one sitting. It may not be fact, as any instinct can be broken with training but without training or some other sort of conditioning most dogs will not know how to walk away from a full bowl of food.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 08:44:02 AM »

Had dozens of dogs growing up and the neighbor was a breeder - probably hundreds of dogs. Never saw what you described.
WB3JOK

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 10:34:30 AM »

Some cats will also overeat, from what I've researched (and observed at my own home where there are currently five cats).

Most will self-regulate, but the remainder would eat like Garfield until their paws won't touch the ground. We have to watch out for one in particular as she will eat all the leftovers from when the other cats have finished and walked away, and her weight does fluctuate.

Here is more than you ever wanted to know about cats and their food from the UK:
Feeding Cats - Feline Advisory Bureau

-Charles
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 10:40:16 AM »

Must agree with the HUZman. My old dog Max had a bowl of food down and would eat what he felt like, slurp up some water, then go take a nap, chase the cats, or whatever interested him. My folks have an ancient basset hound named Fred who does pretty much the same thing, except chase cats since they no longer have any. I wonder if the 'devouring food' thing comes from only being fed once per day, and only for a given time, or amount of food? They're probably just hungry.  Roll Eyes

I also have to say that not all cats are dense or stupid as many believe. I ended up with two over the years who were both charity cases. One from a stray my folks took in that had kittens (no one wanted the black one) and a leftover from a litter my sister's cat had, also black. I managed to teach both of them to sit and stay, and the younger one to fetch. He's a big kitty, too - around 20-22 lbs. Not fat, just big. Somewhere I have a picture of him walking back to me with a blue racketball in his mouth. He can carry a tennis ball, too.

Teaching a cat requires more patience, but it's doable. You get out what you put in. Cats just aren't as quick on the uptake as dogs, but with patience and time, you can eventually see positive results. Could be a result of having a smaller, less developed brain, or the tendency of folks to see them as simple furballs without much potential beyond the 'awwww cuuuute kitty' factor.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 10:46:17 AM »

Cats don't do stupid tricks unless they want to. It usually takes something good to eat.
They seem to focus on things we don't and ignor everything else. Dogs and cats are different and both a lot of fun.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 11:19:38 AM »

Cats don't do stupid tricks unless they want to. It usually takes something good to eat.

Not in this case Frank. I seldom give my cats treats, although the same one who fetches loves frozen veggies. He plays fetch with a frozen green bean until it gets soggy enough to eat, then it's gone. The other cat likes sharp cheddar, he doesn't. They both like attention just fine.

He plays because he enjoys it. In fact, he's brought the ball upstairs in the past, jumped up on the bed and dropped it on the bed or floor to wake me up. Did the same thing with a bag of fish snacks of some sort except dropped them on my face, they sure did stink. This after getting them out of a high cupboard. And they say cats don't have a sense of humor? Witnesses have seen him swipe a new loaf of italian bread off the counter and run upstairs with it, too. Funny as hell.

They're both down in Florida now, not sure if the XYL is keeping up their playtime or not.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 11:56:08 AM »

We have a litter box if she has to go at night. The past week or so the cat has been finding loose change and taking it out to the litter box and hiding it.
I'm a sap for those eyes so I always share food with pets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015