The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:50:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very Weird.. Or am I just Weird?  (Read 2271 times)
n3lrx
« on: February 02, 2007, 05:33:10 AM »

OK,
All the solar activity monitors seem to say that solar activity is low..
But.. Cable TV keeps dropping out and then repixelizing as if the 'dish' signal was interrupted.. Gee.. I thought that never happened on Cable TV?? Or is that just another advertising lie?? (Never mind I know that answer!)

The entire HF band sounds like Daylight hours, and its been like that all night! It's noisy as hell. The solar noise sounds higher now than I've heard in a long time even during the day! The S-Meter also shows an S 4-5, on 75 and 160. I rarely ever see it that high even during peak daylight!

I see there was some activity from reading the shout box, but I'll be damned if I heard anything but noise all night.. Maybe it is me and it's some local source of interference but it sure as hell sounds like solar noise to me!

Is it just me or is this happening to anyone else?

I might also add that my SWL antenna at this point is height challenged. It's only about 10' off the ground, So naturally the noise would be lower then if I had an antenna with some altitude.. but normally, with the antenna being so low I rarely get any noise at all all I usually hear is the big strapping signals.

(That's due to change as soon as I can hang my new ionospheric interface!)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:14:51 AM »

I didn't listen to 75 meters last night, but heard several AM QSOs with good signals on 160 last night.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:15:48 AM »

You're just weird....   Grin

Actually, 80 quieted down up hear later in the evening, but was long so I had trouble hearing W1UJR and WA1HLR. Moved up to 160 with the Dummy Load T ant and was working a few of the guys. Worked Tom, WA3KLR for the first time, S9 most of the time. Also K1ETP, K1KW, 'HLR and another station 'PW' who I wasn't hearing well. I'm really amazed anyone even hears me with the kuldged stop-gap ant system I use for 160.

My dish system wigs out like you describe when there's a storm passing through. Sometimes even when it isn't raining or snowing hard. Checked the wx radar earlier in the evening and saw some large storms passing through the southeast and mid-atlantic areas, so maybe that was why? Certainly heard the static crashes up here.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 10:33:12 AM »

Randy you can always check yourself at this link:

http://pa3ang.nl/index2.php?php=rx322&player=wme
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015