The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:44:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They're trying to kick Bacon out of Herndon!  (Read 3472 times)
Bacon, WA3WDR

« on: January 29, 2007, 11:11:18 AM »

Yes, they're trying to kick Bacon out of Herndon - but fortunately it's not me, it's a female pig.  Hopefully nobody will get confused...

Neighbors Rally to Save Pet Pig From Exile
WTOP News, January 29, 2007
Article
This is not the first time that Suder has had to extract Bacon from peril.

She shares the rented ranch home with Bacon, a new boyfriend, an over-caffeinated Jack Russell terrier named Willie and two ferrets. Everybody seems to get along.

Despite some robust snoring, Bacon sleeps in a well-cushioned corner of the bedroom.

Bacon's prospects look fairly good. Late last week, the zoning board granted Suder a six-month continuance while town officials draft a proposed amendment to the zoning law. It would require approval by both the planning commission and the Town Council.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 05:08:43 PM »

So in this so-called "free country" you have to get permission from the "authorities" not only to put up radio antennas, but have specific approval for the species of household pets you keep?

You don't know how lucky you are...
Back in the US
Back in the US
Back in the USSR...

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WB3JOK

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 09:00:31 PM »

I've got more bad news for you... not only can antennas not be erected, or potbellied pigs kept, on one's private property in much of the country...

we don't really own land and homes anywhere in this "free country" regardless of mortgage...Pay the property taxes in perpetuity or the same authorities will take it away  Cry

-Charles

so far, no annual property taxes in Crete (Greece), where my family has quite a bit of property. You pay a fat transfer tax of about 9 to 11% when you buy the land or house - but then it's really YOURS. I hope they're not paying too much attention to us!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 09:20:51 PM »

we don't really own land and homes anywhere in this "free country" regardless of mortgage...Pay the property taxes in perpetuity or the same authorities will take it away  Cry

Yes, just as if you don't pay the rent, your landlord will have you evicted from your apartment.  And just as the landlord can decide not to continue renting the apartment, evict you and then use the property for some other purpose, the city/county/state can decide to no longer lease your property to you, have you evicted and use the property for some other purpose such as a road, school or power line, or even to sell to a new owner who will bring in more tax revenue than you do.  It is called eminent domain, and some people in a little town in CT found out about it the hard way.

And that's exactly what "owning" property really means: you hold a tentative lease on it from the state.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 09:38:40 PM »

Check out land patents...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 09:53:38 AM »

Kinda like the money you earn is really the government's. They just let you keep some of it. Cry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015