The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:21:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AERIAL WX  (Read 4493 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: January 24, 2007, 01:51:11 PM »

Hello friends
I just sank 2-10 foot copper rods into the ground in 30 minutes. What great Wx in Western Pa. today
35 F and snowing. 4 inches on the ground at the antenna site. 1 acre is a hoot to grow aerials.

G'day
Fred MOP radio

Fred KC4MOP
N8LGU

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 02:03:13 PM »

How many times I have done that only to encounter a boulder at the 5 foot level and then noticed the end of the rod was mushroomed out and I hadn't slipped the wire connector over the end! Sheeze!

"Rock Cave Dave"
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 08:57:16 AM »

When installing any antennas in this weather, its most important to coat them well with certified
Marconi Aerial Wax.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 09:46:42 AM »

Is that available from the Marconi Net?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 12:01:46 PM »

Is that available from the Marconi Net?

Weren't they bought out by Ronco in a hoss-style takeover? Or was it K-Tel......

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 02:48:18 PM »

You can tell it's K-Tel because WE YELL!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 02:06:48 PM »

I tried to run some radials today but trudgin' through the snow 'bout wore me out. My little toes were getting numb!   Tongue  And lugging a 4000 foot roll of wire around just about killed me.  Embarrassed  So.....back to step 2 of pre-measure the radial lengths and THEN connect to the  ground rod at the aerial site. I can't skip any steps and it's going to as cold as a witch's teat for the next 4 days.   Kiss I know that this is the  best Wx for growing aerials. I think I'll stay inside and do some 'ole buzzards.
Are you ready??
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
n3lrx
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 04:04:16 PM »

Speaking of Aerial WX I took advantage of the 45 degree day. I've got at least one leg of my dipole up and secure. I ran the feed point up to about 60 feet and the end is about 30. I ran the ladda line inside the house and hooked it up to the RXer for now..

I've still got one more leg to secure but quickly got frustrated fighting with the briars and saplings. I decided to run a long ended 160M dipole instead of a folded dipole. Not sure how I'm going to get the other end up. I'll need to pay a visit to the local WallyWorld and get a sling shot or are they banned there?? Dunno I haven't shopped there in ages. Anyway, I'll need something to launch some string into the trees so I can pull up some rope and the other end of the dipole.

By the time I'm done I'm probably going to have an L or V shaped design. The antenna is just too long to string into the neighbors tree even if I do sneak it up at night. Even at an angle the tree just about made a 75M dipole possible. So I'll have to shoot it out into the woods behind the house. There are some pretty big trees back there hopefully something I can latch onto and get some good height out of it.

I wanted to get it as close to flat as possible but I guess this will just have to do.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 08:03:34 PM »

Walmart should have the wrist rocket you are looking for Randy. Hope to hear you on the air soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015