The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:06:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Class E, 24 pill Rico Suave Rolled into Corner - Completed - Pictures  (Read 15502 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: May 28, 2010, 11:56:51 PM »

Time to celebrate!  The Class E rig is cooking!

Here's the building/construction thread. It has 11 pages of building and construction info:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=23354.0

Click on this link to see Rico Suave himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeX9zoWSut8

The time has come - I rolled Rico into the corner and now it's time to operate. Last steps - I've installed the temperature triggered cooling system, debugged the VFO and got the rig running reasonably stable and quiet.  The hum is finally gone as far as I can tell.

I've rewired the station audio chain and now have all balanced cables throughout. This definately reduced the hum level to a minimal point to all rigs.

The rig is pictured keyed up into a dummy load at 375 watts full strap. (except for pic #1) Notice the temp gauge that shows the current temp (top number) and the fan trigger temp. (lower number)  The fan is running at the time of the pics.  The VFO is sitting on about 3890.  I lit the analog meters with blue lights.  Also notice the blue digital meters for total voltage and current - and voltage on the RF deck.

Getting the temp gauge, digital meters and freq counter stable during RF key up was difficult. It tooks lots of bypassing and ferrites to calm the digital readings down. They are rock solid now.

Full digital drive using a low level analog homebrew VFO.

There's a few more things I want to add, but Rico is essentially completed. He's easily the best sounding rig I've built to date. Class E is alien technology - with shark fin audio... Grin

T

* 4X1 Rig 789.jpg (322.06 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 771 times.)

* 4X1 Rig 793.jpg (333.67 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 733 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:59:03 PM »

More:

* 4X1 Rig 797.jpg (320.63 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 709 times.)

* 4X1 Rig 801.jpg (328.39 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 788 times.)

* 4X1 Rig 799.jpg (323.4 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 736 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 12:02:33 AM »

More:

First pic:  The bypassing, shielding and ferrites required to make the VFO clean was quite a job!

Second pic:  The PDM gen board, Overload board, sequencer board associated circuits. Each required its own bypassing.

* 4X1 Rig 802.jpg (316.75 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 791 times.)

* 4X1 Rig 803.jpg (330.24 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 793 times.)

K5WLF
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 12:24:22 AM »

Nice work, Tom. Really nice.

Are those Datel digital meters in the rig?

ldb
K5WLF
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 01:03:07 AM »

Vy nice OM!

You did, however, spell "Coarse" wrong  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K5WLF
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 01:08:47 AM »

You did, however, spell "Coarse" wrong  Grin

Nah, that means "Of course it's tuning. What did you think it was doing?" <BG>

ldb
K5WLF
W1IA

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 09:21:15 AM »

Nice Job Tom!
Looking forward to hearing it in its finished form.

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 12:05:25 PM »

It sounds as good as it looks too! I like your modular assembly, should be easy to keep this guy up and running, even several years from now when you look under the hood and start thinking, "What the heck did I do here?"

Just one suggestion:  Please don't operate on the displayed frequency because it might make it difficult to hear all those important AARA bulletins!

* k1man.jpg (5.75 KB, 296x104 - viewed 669 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys. Nothing better than having like-minded enthusiasts look over your projects and kick the tires a little..

Idb:  The blue digital meters are from China and cost about $10 each. Look in the previous 24 pill thread on the first page for more details. They are all over e-bay listed under "digital meters."  I found the accuracy poor and needed to add my own shunt or voltage dividers. They are also prone to RF, but settled down with bypassing and ferrites. Analog are better, but digital looks cool for a few meters on the rig.

Johnny: heheheh..I should have used fast and slow - easier to spell. That will be corrected soon, though every rig needs one obvious JSment.

Rob - You noticed I intentionally used 3890. The reason is cuz once in a great while I'll forget to switch on the dummy load and instead transmit into the antenna for a test. This was the safest way of not bothereing anyone if I did... Grin  Yes, I kept everything modular - and in fact I didn't bind all the wires in tie wraps as usual cuz I want to be able to get in there and service it. It's real easy to work on everything now, so why not keep it a little ragged looking in favor of access?

Tina - Hope to catch you on this weekend for some more tests. I still need to verify the key-up pulse is gone, hum is gone and the VFO has little to no shift/phase shift. Gonna take Yaz sailing all day one day this weekend, so will see ya at night.

BTW, looking at Rico, the pictures don't do him justice. He's so much prettier in person.. Wink I'm on the fence of whether to add another 24 pills or not. I'm running out of room - don't want to make it a crowded mess..  Maybe I'll leave him as-is until Tina straps me with HIS 48 piller..

T

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 01:11:58 PM »

and dont forget to play the theme video. put's you in the right mood.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »

and dont forget to play the theme video. put's you in the right mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeX9zoWSut8

HAHAHAHA!!    You're right, Derb.  Click on this link first and then view the E-rig Rico pitures. It adds some class... Grin

T

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 09:13:08 PM »

With all of that blue it seems like you're trying to TUBERIZE your rig. ie glow from 872's or 866's.
But it's really first class
I'll have to listen to the audio.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 09:43:09 PM »

Tom:

Excellent!

Lookin' forward to hearing it.

Now you need to upgrade your audio processing to match the quality of that station on your frequency ;-)

Dan

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 11:35:31 PM »

BTW, looking at Rico, the pictures don't do him justice. He's so much prettier in person.. Wink I'm on the fence of whether to add another 24 pills or not. I'm running out of room - don't want to make it a crowded mess..  Maybe I'll leave him as-is until Tina straps me with HIS 48 piller..

T

10 dB worth of work for 3 dB of signal  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »

Very nice looking rig. High Style! I am certainly impressed with that and more so with the engineering. I just can't get into the video though haha Spanish dance rap and sharp pointy boots R not my style! But if I hear certain incidental music in true High fidelity I'll know where it came from.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 10:53:27 AM »

Tom, love your work and never ending enthusiasm Smiley That's where it ends Grin Grin The only thing that had me hanging in there in that video was the female dancers Grin Grin

Your scene of humor kills me Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W1IA

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 08:05:16 PM »

After a full day of debugging the new 24 Pill digi rig, She's on the air at full strap!!
YAY!! Grin  I will update with pics tomorrow....I'm toast...started at 7:00 A.M. this morning to put the last push to finish. Yapping on the air now!

Brent
W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 10:30:33 PM »

46 at 34 not bad Tom Vu.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Johnny - your remark about "10db of work for 3db more signal" has become a local mantra... Grin  Too true. Though both Tina and I are still considering it, I may stay with what I have. It's too nice a rig to screw up at this point.

Lately Brent and I have been on comparing notes with his almost identical 24 piller. (in basic design)  Tina's rig is sounding really FB since he added some more deep lows last night.

Terry - Yes the Rico Suave video is so corny that it's funny. The Derb picked a good one.

Rico has run a few nights now with heatsink temps getting up to 110F at times. No problems or crap-outs. Though I plan to order some more ferrite beads to sprinkle around on various leads. I am still getting some slight variation in the digital meters on key up, but almost gone. The ferrite beads help a lot. I need to add some to the ac lines.

I had some breath pops lately and added a foam cover to the RE-20 last night. That seems to have helped. Because the E-rig will permit a deeper low end boost, it showed up -  I never had that problem with Fabio.

There is a very noticable difference in less summertime shack heat when running Rico vs: Fabio, the 4X1 AM rig.

T

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 12:16:21 PM »

Better is often the enemy of good enough

The nail that sticks up gets hammered down

Oh, I gotta million of 'em  Grin

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 07:53:16 AM »

Looks and SOUNDS good !

I guess there are 4 of these rigs on the air (24 pills);  K1JJ, W1IA, K1KBW and WA1QIX.  All are essentially the same design, but the implementations are all rather unique. 

There are two others lurking out there - KE1GF has one and there is someone else whom I cannot recall. 

Frank WA1GFZ has a similarly powered RF amplifier that has only seen the light of day ONCE at my shack during a test run (hint hint, Frank  Grin  )  There's at least one more in incubation up in Concord, NH - but the gestation period in that part of the world, at least for transmitters can be lengthly  Wink  (another hint!).

This is the one I built.  Not as pretty as Rico, but what the heck  Cheesy

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 08:32:09 AM »

Last winter Tom Vu kicked my butt over crappy audio not it is Steve's turn.
(keep up the pressure) The QEX article was Nov. 05 and the modulator chassis has been done for 2 years. Power supply is almost done.
ABFT to do it.
W1IA

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 09:09:54 AM »

Same package with different interior.

* Amp 352.jpg (228.13 KB, 900x1200 - viewed 621 times.)

* Amp 350.jpg (340.75 KB, 900x1200 - viewed 664 times.)

* Amp 351.jpg (380.84 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 620 times.)

Run What Ya Brung!
W1IA

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 09:28:27 AM »

A couple more of finished 24 Pill digi drive rig

* Amp 354.jpg (298.5 KB, 900x1200 - viewed 661 times.)

* Amp 359.jpg (195.79 KB, 900x1200 - viewed 654 times.)

Run What Ya Brung!
Superhet66
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 10:25:28 AM »

You guys make it look easy  Wink   
                                 Very nice beasties.
                                                   DJ
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015