The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 09:24:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WTD Pony Express Boxboro to The Vortex??  (Read 7728 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: August 12, 2006, 11:56:07 AM »

I have an RCA rcvr that needs to get to the Vortex in SE PA. Anybody from that general direction coming up to the Boxboro fest in the end of August?

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 01:07:46 PM »

bump

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 01:25:00 PM »

I know this is a little later in the year, but I plan to be at the fall HossTraders fest in Oct. Would be willing to bring the radio back for Joe.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 02:19:05 PM »

bump

more like "burp"

What? Me worry?
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 09:53:12 PM »

bump
Hope it is not "bumbed... If you are really getting itchy I can try and back it up for shipping

My sister took the train up and I have no immediate plans to be down that way for work so I am trying to set up thennext best thing.

Hope things are better at home right nbow and that Joecyln is on the mend.

Nothing new on ther HB rig. Finishing up restopration of an AK 55 for a very good friend swo taht is killing the weekends of late.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 10:09:43 PM »

I know this is a little later in the year, but I plan to be at the fall HossTraders fest in Oct. Would be willing to bring the radio back for Joe.

That would be great Steve. I plan to be there both days unles it calls for Fri and Sat of rain. If that is the case I live about 15 minutes from I 95 in CT and could arrange to meet you neasr the highway.
Thanks a lot!

Carl

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 10:45:19 PM »

Carl,"Huzman",
                    I truly appreciate this, but there's no hurry for me to get the RCA. Shipping is definitely out of the question since it's too risky and costly a proposition.

If you two'ins can hookup at a mutually convienent place on the highway then that would be great. If not, it's no biggie. I'll get the receiver whenever.

Let me know what transpires and if it's not convieinent that pass on it and I'll get it from Carl whenever.

Carl - I've still been waiting for that fonium call so you can "shop by fone" for your coils. Please give me a call so I can make good on my promise and hear that kewl transmitter of yours sing for it's supper.

Very Best Regards,
                         Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 10:50:20 PM »

Carl - I've still been waiting for that fonium call so you can "shop by fone" for your coils. Please give me a call so I can make good on my promise and hear that kewl transmitter of yours sing for it's supper.

Very Best Regards,
                         Joe Cro N3IBX

Will do VJ. Just want to get it up and running with what I have before I raid someone elses stash.....

Will probably be a fall project.

Carl

Tom W2ILA

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 11:54:43 AM »

HUZMAN,
Please bring a tractor trailer rig to Hosstraders.  I also have tonnage for transfer to the Vortex!
On that note, I just found out that Vortex Joe doesn't have any gear at his house.  His avitar was done in photoshop!  (note how he always offers to meet on the side of the road?)  He uses a Screen modulated Heathkit HW101 with an amp on AM but he usually tells listeners - yeah I'm on the big BC rig and listening with a Magicear x-19 built in December of 1941 or something equally exotic.  Truth be told, all of Joe's stuff is scattered in fellow hams basements up and down the east coast.

ILA
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 12:15:52 PM »

On that note, I just found out that Vortex Joe doesn't have any gear at his house.  His avitar was done in photoshop! 
ILA

Joe
You swore me to secrecy, I didn’t tell him.

Actually it is much worse then that. Joe uses a cell phone connection and phone patches in via the Slab Bacons rig.  Joes only rig is an early 60s Heathkit HD-19  phone patch.

Carl

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 12:26:06 PM »

HUZMAN,
Please bring a tractor trailer rig to Hosstraders.  I also have tonnage for transfer to the Vortex!
On that note, I just found out that Vortex Joe doesn't have any gear at his house.  His avitar was done in photoshop!  (note how he always offers to meet on the side of the road?)  He uses a Screen modulated Heathkit HW101 with an amp on AM but he usually tells listeners - yeah I'm on the big BC rig and listening with a Magicear x-19 built in December of 1941 or something equally exotic.  Truth be told, all of Joe's stuff is scattered in fellow hams basements up and down the east coast.

ILA

Tom,
       Do you still have that BC-344 (methinks) broadcast coverage military receiver we tried to find transport for sometime ago? Any chance you're heading to boxboro? Let me know and I'll see if I can scare up transport for it.

BTW, any chance you have a RAL up for swap? The RAL is the HF cousin to the RAK-5,7 regenerative receivers with two RF stages ahead of a regenerative detector. They're just about the very best regen ever made. I picked up a nice RAK-7 (freq coverage 15KC-600KC) and would like to get a RAL to use with it. The RAK/RAL setup was superceeded by the famous RBA/RBB/RBC line. I just love bloopers!

Very Best Regards and hope to work you on 160M within the not too distant future!
Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 03:37:38 PM »

Joe is a scrap dealer saving up to buy Irb's place when he kicks.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 04:57:13 PM »

Joe is a scrap dealer saving up to buy Irb's place when he kicks.

I got dibs on his first bottle of maple syrup that he sells Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Tom W2ILA

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 02:16:30 PM »

Sri Joe,

I wont be at Boxboro.  It conflicts with the infamous Military Vehicle rally at Quonset Point RI.  I still do have your US Coast Guard Radio Receiver type R-100 freq range 90-1500k.c. 
I have been cleaning out a lot of stuff getting ready to make a better work room in the loft of the garage.  The Mackay liberty ship rig is out there and the T368 will be moved out there while the 300G gets moved in.   No RAK or RAL lineup but I do have the TCS on the bench and should air this winter.
I'll catch up with you on the air.  Just hooked the antennas up yesterday.  That means we should have a thunderstorm today or tonight.
Tom
wa2zdy
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 05:28:35 PM »

I just looked at Vortex Joe's pic again on qrz.com.  Joe, ya needs a new pic; get that HQ120 out of my face.  It's an unfair tease.   Ever since I sold mine in 1977 I've wanted it back. 

I'm gonna cry here soon  Cry
KD2NX
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 11:58:51 PM »

Well Chris...

I gave you the opportunity to grab my HQ-150 before I sold it... It would have been a good updated replacement for the HQ-120, but nnooo... you can't blame King Vortex I for losing that one!

Oh well, I did try! Grin All kidding aside, I hope all is well in the new QTH. Give my best to everyone. Keep in touch... let me know when your Verizon cell phone number changes.

73, Steve
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 08:21:15 AM »

I just looked at Vortex Joe's pic again on qrz.com.  Joe, ya needs a new pic; get that HQ120 out of my face.  It's an unfair tease.   Ever since I sold mine in 1977 I've wanted it back. 

I'm gonna cry here soon  Cry

Chris - I have to update the photo on QRZed, and my website. I still use the HQ-120, and have it connected to a DX-100B.

If you get a chance to pickup a HQ-120 at a decent price, by all means go for it. You won't be dissapointed! The subsequent HQ's are supposed to have improvements, but I still like the "120" the best, probably because of the way it looks and that large S-Meter.

To me, the only other Hammarlunds that beat it are the early Super Pro's, and possibly the Hammarlund "Comet Pro" with AVC and a crapstal filter. You tune the RF stage and the oscillator of a "Comet Pro", and the frequency dial appears in two projection windows to interpolate your correct frequency. Definitely oldbuzzardly and kewlbeanerz stuff!
Best Regards,
                  Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 08:47:15 PM »

The Comet Pro is one of the few recievers I have never owned. I had chances, but never bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015