The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:51:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonderful Antique Bookstore - Fitzwilliam, NH  (Read 2015 times)
W1UJR
« on: May 15, 2006, 02:23:20 PM »

http://beqbooks.com/

If you find yourself some time on your hands, and are up for 3 hour drive, you will enjoy a visit to Fitzwilliam, NH.

Located in this charming southwestern New Hampshire town is the most amazing used bookstore which I have ever visited, and I have visited a number!

The store is called Bequaert Books and is owned and run by a retired EE (Electrical Engineer) from IBM, Frank and his wife Lucia. They are most gracious and friendly folks. Frank is not a ham, but as an EE he has a good background in electronics which explains the coverage the store offers. I almost hesitate to give up the secret of this gem, it is a real delight.

The first floor has a section devoted to broadcasting books and manuals, but it is the 2nd floor and the attic where you will be most impressed. The 2nd floor, the store is located in a antique barn attached to Frank's house, has multiple sections of books dealing with electronics, radio and ham radio. For example, I believe he has every one of the "Radio Boys book series, just about every ARRL publication, and a huge assortment of radio books dating back to the turn of the century. The 3rd floor/attic contains QST magazines dating back to the 1920s, available in either separate or complete years. Also a large assort of ARRL handbooks and "West Coast" handbooks as well.

I was there for 3 hours and don't think that I went through even half of his inventory. I found a very nice Hugo Gernsback (that name should ring a bell) introduction to radio, the 1st edition of Moore's Communication Receivers Guide, the 1st edition of the Antique Wireless Association Review, and a wonderful set of bound 1921 QSTs - like new! Prices are quite fair, not cheap, but fair.

If you are very good, Frank will let you into the room that has his stash of old radio magazines from the 1920s and 1930s, very worthwhile. The room contains a large number of Radio, Radio News, Shortwave Craft, QTBs, RCA Ham Tips, and several file cabinets full of manuals and other emphera.

Be sure to take the YL along, it’s a fun and scenic drive out, and there is plenty for her to look at as well.
The inventory is not entirely geared toward radio, just about every topic you can imagine is represented.
On the way out of town be sure to stop at the delightful "Sunflowers Café".

Enjoy!

73 Bruce W1UJR

Warren
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 04:34:06 PM »

Hi Bruce,
           Yes its a great bookstore, and Frank is very helpful and knowledgeable. It used to trade under the name "Rainy Day Books" which is especially appropriate now!
           B.T.W. you can mail order through his website if you can't make it up there in person.

73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015