The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:23:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A-PATCH-EE BLOWIN' FUSES..?  (Read 4127 times)
ve6pg

« on: March 18, 2006, 07:34:19 PM »

HEY GUYS...MY APACHE WAS WERKING OK FINE...BUT LAST WEEK,WITH OUT WARNING...LOST THE HV...SMOKED THE 5R4s, AND LOST THE MODULATORS,AS WELL...OK...I'M THINKING C1/C2...ALL SEEMS OK..ANY IDEAS...?....TIM...SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 08:17:51 AM »

Sounds like you are on the right trail Tim. I had a similar experience just recently with a DX-100. First look for the obvious 'optical indicators'. I finished a Valiant that was giving me the peedoodles. When all was said and done, I found a carbon arc on the HV causing the fuses to blow. Pull the tubes and start at the power supply with an ohm meter. Obviously there is a greater load than what was designed. What I did was systematically removed all branches of the B+ until I notice the excessive load went away. Mine turned out to be a short in the modulator driver transformer. Keep us posted of the progress.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 11:17:59 AM »

Tim,

When you said you lost the modulators, do you mean the modulator tubes were damaged?  If so, sounds like a bias failure.  Check to see if your bias supply is working and if you have the negative bias (~ -35 volts at the G1 connection of each tube; a failure in the driver transformer secondary will also cause this loss of bias to one or both tubes) at the modulator grids.  Loss of bias would definitely cause heavy current draw and tube damage.

73, Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
k3zrf

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 11:34:06 AM »

Check the plate supply meter shunt....sometimes they short.

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
ve6pg

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:27:22 PM »

...YA...LOST THE EL34s...AND THE 5R4s...ALL THE INPUT I CAN GET FROM YOU GUYS WILL HELP...I REPLACED THE CAP FROM HELL,C49,WITH A HIGHER VOLTAGE RATING,AND PUT A FUSE IN LINE WITH PIN 2 OF THE 5R4..GOTTA DO THE 5V4 NEXT..JUST PROTECTION,SO AS TO BLOW THAT FUSE,INSTEAD OF HIGH CURRENT ZAPPING THE RECTIFIERS.....GONNA CHECK C1/C2,AS WELL AS FILTER CHOKE,AND I HOPE ALL IS OK WITH THE MOD TRANSFORMER...AUDIO TRANSFORMER WILL BE CHECKED AS WELL..BUT HEY,I HAVE NO MONEY IN THIS THING...IT COST ME 40 BUX,AND WAS RUNNING OK,BUT I'M SURE I USED IT MORE IN THE LAST 3 MONTHS,THAN IT HAS SEEN IN 30 YRS.......TIM...SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Vinnie/N2TAI
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 10:04:47 PM »

MY Dx-100 went on a fuse blowing spree a while back. Turned out the HV filter caps would short out when the HV was applied but they checked OK with the low voltage from an ohm meter. Just put some new axial lead caps under the chassis and life is good once more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015