The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:22:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins HF-80 series... we have lift off  (Read 12405 times)
VE7 Kilohertz

« on: March 06, 2006, 10:30:11 PM »

I have finally decided to make time to set up my Collins HF-80 system. I bought it about 4 years ago and would like to get it on the air in the next few weeks. I have the following components:

HF-8010A exciter
HF-8020  PA
HF-8030  PS
HF-8050A RX
HF-8060 preselector
HF-8092 remote controller

Primarily, I would like to get the PA going first, driving it with my HP 8640B using the external modulation jack. Should sound nice and I'm guessing the 4CX1500B with 2800VDC on the plates should give me about 400W carrier. Huh  The PA only needs 100mW of drive!!

Eventually I would like to get the whole system going though.

Has anyone played with this stuff? Pitfalls, things to watch out for, comments etc are welcome. Pic of the gear is below.

Thanks!!

Paul
VE7KHz

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 07:16:15 AM »

Paul, I recommend you join the Premium_rx list.  Mac W5MC who is on the list has, I believe, set one of these up, and there's currently some discussion going on about the HF8054 receiver.

Here's the page to join the mailing list (there's also a home page there for premium receivers).  Note that to join the list you must own a premium receiver as defined by the group (any of the HF-80 receivers certainly qualify!!!)

http://ml.islandnet.com/mailman/listinfo/premium-rx

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 09:12:54 AM »

Big Al,  K1JCL has a working set up
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 11:50:28 AM »

Hi John, Frank,

Yes, I have been a premi member since 2000. Lot's of good info there but I haven't been able to find anything on the rest of the system.

I think I will just fire up one piece at a time and get each one working before trying to engage the system as a whole.

I was up until 1 am trying to figure out the RX but gave up as I was making "stupid" mistakes. Tongue

It has a little mouse damage.

Cheers

Paul

WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 12:31:19 PM »

I think big Al has the books
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 11:48:19 PM »

Hi Frank,

yes, I have the full manuals as well, 3 boxes full.

I did find the problem with the RX today. As I mentioned, it had mouse damage, nibbled wires and droppings etc.  The previous owner (government) tech replaced the big 50 pin ribbon cable and associated split out cables, but soldered the 5 pin ribbon to the motherboard backwards. i.e. Pin 1 to 50 and 50 to 1 and all 48 other wires too. Took about 6 hours of pouring over the manual but finally figured it out. Reversed the cable and it works 100% now.

Next will be the PA.

thanks

Paul

WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 10:24:14 AM »

Paul,  Be careful mouse droppings can kill you. When I worked for motorola a guy died from something he got from mouse stuff.  fc
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 12:02:21 AM »

Wow! What a nice amplifier!

I finally got the PA going today. I had a problem with the Antenna Interlock lamp lit which was not allowing the PA to key. Evrything else was good to go. About 2 hours of studying the manuals for both the PA and coupler, indicated that the coupler sends a signal to the PA indicating "okay to go". I couldn't see anything in the schematic indicating what was needed but the description said "logic low" applied to .... so I just threw a 1K R from the Key Line to ground to simulate the coupler and away it went.

Man, if you ever get a chance to see one of these in action, it's amazing. I'm used to mucking around with tuning and loading controls in a PA to get things just right but this rig...change frequencies, anywhere in the HF band, key it and within 3-6 seconds it's tuned and ready transmit. Just too cool.

Only downside to the PA and PS is when it's operating, it's only slightly quieter than standing next to a 777 at takeoff.  Shocked

Now, to get it on the air tomorrow....

Cheers

Paul

VE7KHz

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 01:01:46 PM »

Paul,  Be careful mouse droppings can kill you. When I worked for motorola a guy died from something he got from mouse stuff.  fc

Then I should have been dead years ago.  If I had avoided working on anything with mouse droppings inside, 90% of the stuff in my shack would have gone to the landfill before it was even constructed.  Mouse droppings are an inherent part of old radio equipment.

BTW, speaking of "we have liftoff,"  looks like NASA is finally getting its act together.  The Mars probe successfully went into orbit around the planet this morning without self-destructing.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 10:34:14 PM »

K4KYV said:
Quote from: WA1GFZ on March 08, 2006, 10:24:14 AM

Then I should have been dead years ago.  If I had avoided working on anything with mouse droppings inside, 90% of the stuff in my shack would have gone to the landfill before it was even constructed.  Mouse droppings are an inherent part of old radio equipment.

Don, there is actually some truth to what Frank is stating. Back in the '70's(?) there was a problem with Native Americans dying from a particular nasty disease. CDC couldn't put their finger on it since it was geographically isolated. It turned out the year before there was a 'bumper crop' of desert mice. They carried a viral strain known as Hunta disease which is very similar to the plague.
The things you learn on the Discovery Channel.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 02:28:46 AM »

Yup. I too have heard of the Hunta virus. Comes from "deer mice" I think??

Well, tonight I got the new HF-80 system on the air on 3870. Made a dozen or so contacts here in the northwest with good reports. 300 W out carrier with good mod pattern. Need to work the amp a little more as it is only putting out 400W CW and it should be 1KW. Something to do with the ALC. My only complaint is that it is only slightly quiter than standing next to a 777 at 30 paces. Interestingly enough, no one on the other end could hear the blowers. Only me. Guess my gating is tight.

Looking forward to getting on the other bands now on AM. What's the latest on 7290 or 14286? Anyone talking there recently?

Cheers

Paul
VE7KHz

WV Hoopie
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 10:37:54 AM »

Looking forward to getting on the other bands now on AM. What's the latest on 7290 or 14286? Anyone talking there recently?

Cheers

Paul
VE7KHz

Hi Paul,

Not much activity here in the Pacific Northwest on 7.290 MHz. Some days one can call CQ until blue in the face with no replys. I do hear some carriers on 7.293; think they are So-Cal stations. AB7YD, Bruce from Seattle seems to be the station I have the most contacts with on 7.290.

Shame there isn't more activity on 40mtrs, even the PW stations have big signals, plus low QRM.

wd8kdg
Craig
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 10:23:16 PM »

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the update. Haven't heard you on 75M lately.

I got on tonight with my new to me Collins HF-80 system. Worked Jim W0LU and Pat K7YIR and Bob WA7NAN on FM. What a blast! Right out of the noise comes these big signals full quieting. too cool.

Chat soon.

Paul
VE7KHz

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 07:55:58 AM »

My only complaint is that it is only slightly quiter than standing next to a 777 at 30 paces.

Be glad it's only a 777 and not a Douglas DC-8 with the old turbojets like some of those Harris 10KW amps.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 08:56:56 AM »

I thought the DC8 was a nice ride. I rode it across country many times.
I like it better then the DC9
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 09:58:11 AM »

For those of you who haven't seen HF-80 gear, here is a picture of my current setup. From the top is the exciter, PA and PS.

Working 100% now. Works great on SSB as well. Lot's of punch.

cheers

Paul

WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 02:17:57 PM »

nothing beats a well built mil rig for maximum b.a..age you are set for life.
the only thing left is a big linear to plow the channel.
handles or water pipe connections, that is the question
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015