The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:19:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IDENTIFYING CHOKES..?....  (Read 2880 times)
ve6pg

« on: February 16, 2006, 09:28:54 PM »

..HI FROM TIM...RECENTLY AN ELECTRONICS STORE IN THE TORONTO AREA CLOSED...I PICKED UP A BUNCH OF CHOKES,FER USE IN POWER SUPPLIES..YA KNOW,TYPICAL CHOKE LOOKING LIKE A SMALL TRANSFORMER,2 LEADS,ETC...QUESTION IS,AS THEY ARE NOT MARKED IN ANY WAY,HOW MIGHT I IDENTIFY WHAT VALUE IN MH ARE THESE THINGS?...TNX...SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 03:46:32 PM »

I've done something similar.  You can wire the choke in series with a variable resistor.  Put the choke and variable resistor on a signal generator say for around 100Hz.  Measure the voltage across the choke and resistor.  Vary the resistance until  you get equal voltage drops across the choke and variable resistor.  Remove the variable resistor from the circuit being careful not to change its value then measure the resistance with an ohmmeter.  The resistance of the variable resistor (R) will equal the approximate reactance of the choke (XL).  Use XL/2(pi)(F) = L where R=XL to determine approximate inductance.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 08:50:16 PM »

u can use a GridDipOscilator and STRAP a know value of C accross the L...   tune for dip.....  F and C are now known, solve for L.

u can use vL= L (dI/dT) a couple of ways.............   klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015