The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:52:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need 43mc crystal for Ameco CN  (Read 2317 times)
KB3QMT

« on: February 21, 2024, 01:36:10 PM »

Hi,  I'm looking for a 43mc crystal to use with the Ameco CN transverter.  I hope someone has one!  This is the last step to making this work.

Off grid in a cabin in the woods, no electrical noise, the nearest neighbor is a mile away.  Life is good.
Chuck SWL

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 03:31:47 PM »

AF4K Crystals:

http://s88932719.onlinehome.us/hc6ucrystals40000-59999khz.htm

$24/ea
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 07:29:12 PM »

Bry, AF4K, passed several years ago.
Steve Johnson, WD8DAS, has resurrected his crystal business:
http://af4k-crystals.com/

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB3QMT

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 08:40:12 PM »

Yes, the original guy died some time ago, shortly before I was looking for a crystal for something else.  I was hoping someone had one in a junk box, I don't know if the Ameco CN is worth the cost of the new crystal.  I was hoping to find one for around $10.

Thank you for responding.

Off grid in a cabin in the woods, no electrical noise, the nearest neighbor is a mile away.  Life is good.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 09:51:37 PM »

Yes, the original guy died some time ago, shortly before I was looking for a crystal for something else.  I was hoping someone had one in a junk box, I don't know if the Ameco CN is worth the cost of the new crystal.  I was hoping to find one for around $10.

Thank you for responding.

The Ameco "CN" converters were top of the line converters for 6 and 2 meters and 220 MHz. Classic nuvistor design. I know I have the 6 meter converter and, I think, the 2 meter version.
These converters ran rings around the older tube design converters for 6 and 2.
What HF receiver are going to use with the converter and what IF?

WOW! A crystal for $10 in the 21st century. Hard to imagine!
Of course, without a working crystal, the converter has no function and probably would be considered worthless.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB3QMT

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 11:03:11 PM »

Mine is for 6m.  If I get it to work, I'm planning on using it with a Hallicrafters S-40 receiver paired with a Globe VHF-62 transmitter.

I don't expect to find a brand new one for $10.

If I had a crystal someone needed, I'd tape it to a piece of cardboard and mail it to them for free; so, to me $10 seems more than fair for a junk box crystal.

I'm not a business and haven't sold a radio or parts for one in my life.  I've repaired them and given them away but haven't ever sold one.

That's where I'm coming from, just your average guy trying to make something work.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 10:38:19 AM »

Jeff, look over on QRZ in the 'Boat Anchor' forum. Steve, KH4W just repaired a Heathkit 1680 that was missing crystals made of 'unobtanium.' He replaced them using device called a 'ProgRock'. On one of the threads he demonstrates how it works. I can't remember the parameters but that should help you out.
Mod-U-Lator,
Mike(y)/W3SLK

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 12:23:54 PM »

Jeff,

I have a fair number of crystals including overtone crystals. I probably have something that is useable in your convertor, but I can't guarantee it is going to be on an even MHz frequency for easy mental frequency readout.

If you have not found one yet, let me know and I will look through my boxes.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
KB3QMT

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 12:45:04 PM »

Jeff,

I have a fair number of crystals including overtone crystals. I probably have something that is useable in your convertor, but I can't guarantee it is going to be on an even MHz frequency for easy mental frequency readout.

If you have not found one yet, let me know and I will look through my boxes.

Tom, I'd appreciate if you could search through what you have.  I could use a 40 or 43mc, the 43 being the preferred one.

Let me know how the search goes.

Thank you,
Jeff, KB3QMT

ab1mn

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2024, 08:53:11 AM »

Hi,

My spreadsheet says I actually have two 43.000 MHz crystals. One in an HC-6/U and one in an HC-17/U. Let me know which one you want and I will send it to you.

Bob  K7DYB
KB3QMT

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2024, 09:11:40 AM »

Hi Bob,  I think the HC/6U crystal is the one it uses.  Thanks a lot for going through the bother of looking, I really appreciate it.

Let me know what you want for it, I just updated my email information on QRZ.

Thanks,
Jeff, KB3QMT

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2024, 09:15:58 AM »

It looks like you are making some good progress, Jeff! Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2024, 09:28:06 AM »

That's great Bob.

Jeff, the best I could come up with was 42.333 MHz, tested good in fundamental mode oscillator test. HC/6U 0.050" pins.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2024, 10:32:49 AM »

I have a 40.1 and a 40.6 if you are interested.
KB3QMT

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2024, 12:03:33 PM »

It looks like progress is being made!  I look forward to completing this station.

ab1mn

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 06:47:52 AM »

Hi Jeff,

I dropped a 43 MHz (tested) crystal in the mail today. Good luck,

Bob  K7DYB
KB3QMT

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2024, 07:25:06 PM »

Thank you, I look forward to receiving it.
Greatly appreciated.

KB3QMT

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2024, 02:58:01 PM »

Hi Bob,

The crystal arrived today in the mail.  I really appreciate your generosity of both your time and effort, as well as the crystal.  It should work out perfectly fine and help put this station on the air.

Thank you very much.

Jeff, KB3QMT

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015