The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:29:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins 32--V3 RELAY  (Read 829 times)
Detroit47

« on: February 10, 2024, 10:25:25 PM »

The relay in my dependable 32-V3 is past hope. Any sugestions? As to a source for a replacement. This is a common problem with this transmitter. Kinda like myself. I don't mind getting old it's just the side effects that I don't care for.

Johnathan N8QPC
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 09:43:50 AM »

Not meaning to be too snarky, but a little more info would help those of us without a 32v3 offer relevant suggestions. There are thousands of relay types…. Lots of radios use more than one… what’s the failure mode…  help us help you…

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
Detroit47

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 11:56:04 AM »

Not meaning to be too snarky, but a little more info would help those of us without a 32v3 offer relevant suggestions. There are thousands of relay types…. Lots of radios use more than one… what’s the failure mode…  help us help you…

Ed

Dear Ed
Not wanting to be intolerant of sarcasm. There is one relay in a Collins 32v3 it is common to all 3 versions of the unit. The relay was custom made for Collins 75 years ago. I should have been more specific as to who I was directing the post at. So only people with Collins experience should reply. Not bored hams looking for a chance to try and belittle someone.

Have a nice day Johnathan N8QPC
Detroit47

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 02:25:34 PM »

I seem to have answered my own question. After doing a Google search I have came up with several prospects.  Plus I am going to up the contact rating from 3 amps to 10. Oh happy day.

Johnathan N8QPC
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 03:10:55 PM »

There is one relay in a Collins 32v3 it is common to all 3 versions of the unit. The relay was custom made for Collins 75 years ago. I should have been more specific as to who I was directing the post at. So only people with Collins experience should reply. Not bored hams looking for a chance to try and belittle someone.

Have a nice day Johnathan N8QPC

Johnathan, there are plenty of us who want to help, and may be aware of other relays that can substitute for a part that was custom made and discontinued decades ago.  I looked up a manual, and the schematic, and what the relay does...  48v coil, DC. and could be substituted with a standard 4PDT unit. Collins had two sets of contacts apparently in series to switch the HV primary, making it a five pole unit, even though it's really switching only four poles. There are 9 models in stock at Digikey under $15 each that could work. There are nine more that cost over $15.

What I tried and failed to get across is that more information would let people help you without first researching what the relay is and does themselves. And we still don't know what the failure is, so a new relay may fail too. Is the coil voltage still correct, or did some part fail that led to excess coil voltage and it burning out? is the transformer partly shorted so the switching load is much higher and the contacts burned? Sometimes we just want to give the most complete possible advice, but can't without the rest of the story.

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 10:17:19 PM »

Detroit47 said:
I seem to have answered my own question. After doing a Google search I have came up with several prospects.  Plus I am going to up the contact rating from 3 amps to 10. Oh happy day.
How about spilling the beans so that the rest of us that DO have similar Collins rigs, (I have a 32V2) can benefit.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Detroit47

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 11:02:28 PM »

Mike
I have ordered a relay. After I am satisfied with the fit and performance I will post the pertinent information. I don't want to publish any bad information or cause myself embarrassment.

Johnathan N8QPC
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 10:41:18 AM »

Detroit47 said:
I have ordered a relay. After I am satisfied with the fit and performance I will post the pertinent information. I don't want to publish any bad information or cause myself embarrassment.

Johnathan N8QPC
FBOM(b) Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015