The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:07:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: price increase, upcharge for paper magazine, unclear format for downloadable mag  (Read 1323 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: December 19, 2023, 10:34:55 PM »

Well I'm not too pleased with these price changes, though I could live with digital-only QST.

But there seems some obfuscation or hidden info on the downloading of QST and freedom to use it on any device the member may choose.

The instructions for QST didn't seem to seem to explicitly describe or state exactly what format the 'downloadable' QST is supplied in or speak comfort to me in therms of portablility, document and/or Viewing Rights survivability should something like the 'registered PC/Tablet/Handset' fail.

The above potential troubles come with DRM'd e-books, which is sort of what these Magazine issues look like.

So, I am not making a rant here, and I like the ARRL and understood the member bulletin http://www.arrl.org/member-bulletin?issue=2023-07-23 introducing the changes. I had been wanting to rejoin as I'd let the membership lapse, but want to know some facts about the Digital Magazines first.

In view of what I was able to read on the ARRL web site, in particular there 27 pages of fairly good Instructions: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QST/PageSuite/UserGuide.pdf  I am stating my views on the inconveniences of files that seem to be registered to an internet-connectable device. I hope I am incorrect about that suspicion.

I would think that potential document issues of this sort among those persons who may use a variety of normal computing platforms would be a concern to many people, what with the diverse types of devices and frequent switching of device during a typical day.

So, what about the potential blocking issues below, and are these problems with the digital version of QST?  IF Yes, then that's fine, it's their magazine and decision and i just won't go in for it.

What format is the file?
PDF?
Something else?
Something else with remote-revocation?
(like when microsoft removes a program or right from a PC and calls it an update)

There is talk about 'apps' in the Instructions, and having to open the downloaded file at least briefly while logged in for that download simply to authorize the reading of the file later when not online. This looks like e-reader /proprietary stuff. Is there a required reader?

What happens later when I copy the file to my never-online, non-phone, older Android tablet to read while waiting somewhere? That's a weekly occurrence. Nice 10" tablet.

This could create an untenable mess if there's non-portability of simple reading material among the desktop, notebook, and tablets whicheveris needed at the moment - based on the natural movements of one's devices throughout the days of one's of everyday life.

I keep everything on a 'server'  - (old big fat PC +NAS and keep that backed up) - and open it from whatever home-networked machine I'm on at the time, depends where I'm sitting, - or if Or if I'm heading out, I copy the reading material to a tablet and go.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
n8fvj

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 11:00:40 PM »

QST is better than Electric Radio. I ordered old copies twice and never got anything. I posted this in another forum and the replies favored Electric Radio and were angry at me despite they just keep your money and send nothing- go figure.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 02:35:35 AM »

There is a "viewer" to view QST online say from a computer. You can also download the entire monthly edition. The viewer is pagesuite. When you download to your computer, don't know if a viewer is dragged down with the entire edition. Give the ARRL call to their main number and ask them.
As an ARRL member it looks like you can also get an Android edition, or IOS edition, or a Kindle edition. I still get the paper version I really don't care about the digital version.

QST is the monthly membership journal. It is not in competition with any other magazine. The monthly journal supports all the major amateur radio interests to some degree within the limit of the monthly page count.

Electric Radio is a subscription based magazine supporting the amateur radio interests of restoration, maintenance, and continued use of vintage radio equipment.

To compare Electric Radio and QST magazines makes no sense.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W6WAC

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 12:43:15 PM »

Shhhhh......I have a secret.  You can download QST including OTA, QEX and NCJ, as a PDF.

From a computer standpoint (in my case using work computer, MS 10 or is it 11?  And Google Chrome), go to ARRL and open the current issue of QST, logging in of course  There is a print function in that reader.  You can select any individual pages or all of the pages.  Click on print in that window, another window will come up after it retrieves the pages, and in the upper right, you can choose the printer of choice in a drop down.  There is a strong possibility there will be 2 versions of printing to PDF included, one of which could be Microsoft.  In my case there were the 2 but the Microsoft PDF will make it a larger file size.  And just print and save the file. 

CQ Magazine in their digital form is thru Zinio or Zinio Reader.  It too can be saved as a PDF as above (opened from the website) but it's a pain in the ass as you can only save it 2 pages at a time, then follow that with a PDF converter to merge the pages.

I transfer the PDF copies to my tablet and read it from there.  I understand that a good number of people would prefer to have a hard copy in ones hands.  I get it.  I've worked in the newspaper side of things most of my life (electric shop) and the cost of printing (paper, ink, etc) has gone up considerably, amplified by the rising postal rates (owner of ER has been vocal about that).  And it seems the good populace would prefer to read their news off of their cell phones, i.e. digital format.  Digital formats have one good thing----they don't take up much space on your shelves.

Scott
W6WAC
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 07:16:08 AM »

I subscribe to three other digital publications that provide direct download in pdf format. No goofy readers required to view online, either. Make it easy for me or I won't play.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 02:50:32 PM »

You can't get a subscription to QST. You get it as part of the features of being a member of the ARRL. If you don't like the digital viewer format and don't want the paper copy, there's no rule that you have to use one or the other.

Latest amateur radio news is updated daily on the ARRL web site, http://www.arrl.org/news
Lots of other news and real time info is available directly from their web site.
It would be hard to believe the majority of the ARRL members want QST for the construction articles.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2023, 07:21:46 AM »

You can't get a subscription to QST. You get it as part of the features of being a member of the ARRL. If you don't like the digital viewer format and don't want the paper copy, there's no rule that you have to use one or the other.

Latest amateur radio news is updated daily on the ARRL web site, http://www.arrl.org/news
Lots of other news and real time info is available directly from their web site.
It would be hard to believe the majority of the ARRL members want QST for the construction articles.

* homer-simpsons.gif (2959.81 KB, 458x460 - viewed 57 times.)

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015