The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:29:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking Ranger 1 mystery socket  (Read 1870 times)
WB4AQL

« on: October 09, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »

Hello everyone. Do y`all know of any published mods that add a 6 pin octal socket to the rear of a factory wired Ranger? The stock octal is present and intact. This new one is beside it.

The tx is factory wired, with a nicely done PTT addition. I may be able to post a pic at a later date. Three wires come off the relay to this socket. I know it could be anything, just wondering if it`s been seen before? Could be rcvr muting, etc. I`ve got wonky B+ on the modulators, so I don`t yet know if it requires jumping somehow.

Mike  WB4AQL
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 04:35:16 PM »

Ranger modes from Tim, WA1HLR (see last paragraph):
The T/R control circuit is much more sophisticated than the original Johnson abortion! TWO relays will be needed. I used 24 volt units due to their availability. A typical 4-pole double-throw unit and a larger 3-pole double-throw KCP 11 type 11-pin plug-in type. The 3 pole must have good voltage rating as it performs the following:

1. applies 117VAC to antenna changeover socket.

2. applies screen voltage to the final amp tube or grounds screen during standby.

3. applies low voltage B+ to screens of the modulator tubes, clamp tube screen and drive control pot.

The 4-pole miniature plug-in relay is used for the following:

1. to key the transmitter as done in the original PTT circuit.

2. applies 6.3 volts AC to the red pilot light on the front panel (VFO escutcheon) to let you and any visitors to your shack know that you are ON THE AIR!

The remaining two sets of contacts are brought out to a 6-pin Jones connector or other socket for the control of other devices such as receiver muting or keying up another transmitter when using the Ranger as an exciter. If one wishes to cut corners you can get by with a total of 4 poles of double-throw contacts.

The complete text is here: http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/rangtron.htm

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB4AQL

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 05:45:03 PM »

Sure looks like it. Thank you, thank you Pete!

Mike  WB4AQL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015