The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:45:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Variable Plate Cap in 2x 813 Amp. Question  (Read 1923 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: June 24, 2016, 06:53:14 AM »

I recently picked upatn HB 2x 813 amp based on the following circuit http://k6jca.blogspot.com/2010/06/am-transmitter-813-style-part-1-pa-deck.html It is based on the One band Killowatt Amplifiers from the ARRL Handbooks in the early 60s's.

You will note that the original construction used a Vacuum variable as the plate cap. I assume this is because it is what the constructor had available. I would like to go to a regular 1/2 turn variable and one large enough to cover 160 with the appropriate coil. (200 PF?)

I cannot find any overwhelming reason to stay with the VV, but wanted to check with the collective wisdom here.
I have also heard taht VVs do not like to be tuned around a lot as they are brittle. Is this true or an old XLYls tale?

Thanks

Carl

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 04:06:48 PM »

hi Carl

found this Jennings app note:  http://www.jenningstech.com/technotes/handling.shtml

I have seen vac var caps used in motorized ant tunas.  I don't know if they were specially rated for that application.  I have seen several glass vv that have lost their vacuum, usually due to cracks in the tabulation or evacuation port

it is possible to use a lost vacuum, vacuum cap as a loading cap since the voltages there are not so high

test it with the hi-pot tester, then you will know  

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 08:00:54 PM »

Actually I am looking for a reason to NOT go with a regular variable and I can't see that the VV adds that much. Besides I have two cool buzzardly National dials I want to use and a multi turn vacuum would take that away.
These will go either side of the window to the tubes

* 158776242.Swzo9XbX.IMG_7076.jpg (299.04 KB, 1200x800 - viewed 291 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 08:40:17 PM »

I run an 813 amp with regular variables and have never had any problems with arcing or otherwise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015