The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:29:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Distance between transmitter and tower  (Read 14639 times)
jorgeSWL
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »

Sorry, There used to be an option for people out of fb to see certain albums, but it looks like you can't do it anymore. I don't know how else to send some pics... any suggestions?

Yes, that's what the technician did. We will try and find another one...
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 10:26:34 PM »

I can see all pictures but not sure what am I looking at?

I can't tell how big those inductors are but they don't look to be sufficient for a 3-5kW installation.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
M1ECY
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 02:10:51 AM »

Wow, thats a real mess.

I don't know who did the install and commissioning, if you had to pay for that I would be demanding a refund!

Not even close to adequate - I really hope you can get it sorted.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 02:57:16 AM »

Fixing that sort of problem is what I did during all my professional career.

I am semi-retired now and don't travel out of the USA for work anymore.

If you can get the photos online so I can see them, I'd be happy to advise you for free.

www.signalsradio.wordpress.com for a link to send them directly.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 10:21:28 AM »

I'm not a BC engineer, but  from what I see on the Facebook pix looks like a remake of a tuner box from some other user.  I see a kludge of half baked coax terminations and at least one coil and capacitor set that are directly shorted to ground.  High humidity, Iron rust and other dissimilar metal corrosion can't be helping. I wonder about every connection in the place including many inside the transmitter itself.

Sure agree with others to get a real engineer and some sore of impedance measuring into an industry norm/known and reproducible tuning network

After getting a decent tuner and match I'd make every effort to hermetically seal or some other method (moving dehumidified air, etc.) to keep moisture out of the cabinet. I realize this is a tall order in some climates.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 10:58:07 AM »

Here is an example of a well built tuning unit.

Joe, W3GMS

* IMG_0079.JPG (2397.01 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 444 times.)

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »

Jorge PLEEESE do not be offended by the comments here...... many of these guys are very familiar with broadcast AM stations and what we are seeing here is a disaster!! I was trying to be careful with my first comments. Others here took the words out of my mouth.
It's gotta get cleaned up and organized to accept whatever you want that transmitter to do. 3KW or 10KW.
I know you will get someone there to make that installation work and you will be happy with many listeners.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
jorgeSWL
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 03:26:58 PM »

We're not offended AT ALL! We are sooo very thankful for all of your comments and all you are doing to try and help us. We were wondering if this was well done or not, but not knowing anything, we can't tell. But you all have been helping us to see how things are and should be.

Now we pray that we will be able to find an honest and capable person that will do a good job in fixing all this.

Again, THANKS SOOO MUCH!
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »

Fixing that sort of problem is what I did during all my professional career.

I am semi-retired now and don't travel out of the USA for work anymore.

If you can get the photos online so I can see them, I'd be happy to advise you for free.

www.signalsradio.wordpress.com for a link to send them directly.

73DG

Same here and I made the same offer in a PM but have not heard from him.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »

Jorge,
I finally saw your pictures that were posted and lets just say it needs some work.  Your antenna appears to be a Folded Unipole.  They are used on a grounded tower bases and the feed as shown goes to the "skirt wire".  This is the wire that goes around the tower at the base and connects all the vertical wires that go up parallel to the antenna.  

My suggestion is to start with the antenna and get it cleaned up by someone that is trained to do such things.  This will require rebuilding the tuning unit and making sure all the connections on the antenna are good from an RF standpoint.  They will also need to look at the buried ground system under the antenna and make sure its healthy and connected properly to the RF return side of your tuning unit.  

Following that and once the antenna tuning unit is adjusted properly, I would then look at the power feed into the transmitter.  Not sure what kind of three phase power your using, but make sure all connections are good and you have a good neutral connection.  Once that is done and the match to the transmitter is proper you should be in much better shape.  

I saw a generous offer from Dennis-W7TFO who is willing to give you some advice.  He has been in the business his entire career.  

Good luck with the project and do let us know how things turn out.

Joe, W3GMS    

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 07:25:50 PM »

W3GMS shows an example how the tuning unit should look. Yours may have different parts. But it should be clean and good connections and constructed to look like a professional installation.
A poor and messy construction will waste transmitter power and not many listeners. The power out of the transmitter will be wasted and you pay high electric bills for nothing.
Many of us are not just Ham radio operators but professional engineers who have built and maintain radio stations and TV stations here in the USA. We hope that we can get that station on the air and 1380 will be a powerful signal.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015