The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:58:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM activity on 10 Meters  (Read 4818 times)
WB6LSI

« on: September 17, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »

Is there enough AM activity to make it worth the effort to put a station together and what are the best frequencies to check. I have a general coverage receiver that I could use by adding a converter and a homebrew 50 watt CW XMTR that I could build a modulator for. Ya, I know really old school but I like to keep things simple.
Henry
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:53:37 PM »

Hi Henry..gud idea for a simplistic lash-up for 10mtrs..well you asked and seeing as I'm a 10mtr AM nut case..to tell ya the truth it just ain't happening..at least not yet anyway..what I mean to say is there are occasional spits and spats of AM activity but so far it's plenty weak and mostly short lived..whether it will ever peak up to what was there a few years ago is anyones guess..oh sorry you asked about freq..29.000 to approx 29.200 is where most activity is found..29.000 regarded as the "calling" freq..IMHO ya really should consider 15mtrs at least for now..freq there is approx 21.420 to 21.440 but a lot of fellas do spread out when things get hopping..ur overall chances of making an AM "Q" are much greater then 10mtrs..and honestly there really isn't a huge difference between these bands so far as prop distance/relative power neccesary etc etc..don't want it to sound like doom and gloom but 10mtrs ain't what she used to be.......best-o-luk!   73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »

10 meter payoff will be proportional to boom length of a Yagi.

The band does not work as in the past but it can still be a ton of fun with extra effort.

29000 is a monitoring frequency. Some folks decided to call it a calling frequency instead of describe how it has been used for many years. Same people did the same thing with 146.52 which is the mobile monitoring frequency. This confuses frequency cops.

There are a lot of people sill using wet noodles. They have fun.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015