The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:40:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VK4VN Loudest Signal On Entire 10 Meter Band  (Read 23019 times)
W2VW
Contributing

« on: March 16, 2013, 08:36:32 AM »

Yesterday 3/15/13 20:26 GMT 29001 VK4VN had the only legible signal on the entire 10 meter phone band.

Had a nice chat with him. He is using a KW-1.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 01:54:04 PM »

Weird. I was there monitoring around that time and heard nothing, not even you. Maybe I should go check and see if my antenna fell down.  Grin  Six was also open around that time from Europe to South America and Africa.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »

Weird. I was there monitoring around that time and heard nothing, not even you. Maybe I should go check and see if my antenna fell down.  Grin  Six was also open around that time from Europe to South America and Africa.

I don't think the band would have supported our usual backscatter path at the time. Maybe you had your headphones plugged into the key jack Cheesy
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 03:13:47 PM »

I don't think the band would have supported our usual backscatter path at the time. Maybe you had your headphones plugged into the key jack Cheesy

Not hard to do. They're adjacent to each other.

I just checked the prop activity for 10 and 15. Nothing showing up yet to support Far East or VK activity.  20 meter prop map resembles a contest weekend. Wall-to-wall contacts with open routes all over the world.

kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 06:22:44 PM »

You think the 20 meter map looked crazy, the 40 meter map looks to me like all of Europe must be on there at the moment, 160 and 80 are a little less packed. Looks like there must be a contest going on, maybe over in Europe? That seems to be where all the activity is. 10 meters looks to be doing good into South America right now.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 06:43:32 PM »

Weird. I was there monitoring around that time and heard nothing, not even you. Maybe I should go check and see if my antenna fell down.  Grin  Six was also open around that time from Europe to South America and Africa.

Not hard to do. They're adjacent to each other.

I just checked the prop activity for 10 and 15. Nothing showing up yet to support Far East or VK activity.  20 meter prop map resembles a contest weekend. Wall-to-wall contacts with open routes all over the world.

He's back on right now talking with N5YRJ. :43 28999.5

Managed to make 3 way QSO YRJ is in SoCal so East/West US /Austrailia plug that into the propagation map and see if it works.

Several other carriers detected same beam heading but they probably aren't using KW-1s.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 07:49:52 PM »

Heard the 6-lander turning it over to you. Never heard the VK. Maybe I didn't listen long enough.

Pretty good conditions on the high bands. There was a VK3 still coming through quite loudly on 20 meters a/o one-half hour ago. Also a 4L was still about 20-over-9.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 08:36:43 PM »

Heard the 6-lander turning it over to you. Never heard the VK. Maybe I didn't listen long enough.

Pretty good conditions on the high bands. There was a VK3 still coming through quite loudly on 20 meters a/o one-half hour ago. Also a 4L was still about 20-over-9.

R. Strange beam heading to Euro today. peaks about 30 degrees clockwise from normal. Noticed this on several signals. Worked some guys backscatter peaking at same heading. 
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 08:50:51 PM »

I got the supper call around 6PM so missed the "action".  Several contests on this weekend including Russian DX Contest; Oklahoma, Virginia, and QCWA QSO Parties; and North American Sprint.

Looks like lots of action on 40 right now to Eastern and Western Europe, Africa, and South America.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 04:24:36 AM »

Hmmm. Some crooked paths. Interesting that it's happening on the high bands. Usually more common on the low bands, although most people don't notice it since really directional ants are less common on these bands.

I was also hearing many USA stations quite well on backscatter.

R. Strange beam heading to Euro today. peaks about 30 degrees clockwise from normal. Noticed this on several signals. Worked some guys backscatter peaking at same heading. 
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 02:06:25 PM »

The CME was on the way. Maybe the strange/good conditions were a precursor.

STRONG CME IMPACT: As predicted, a coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetic field at 0600 UT on March 17th. The impact lifted the solar wind speed from 300 km/s to 700 km/s and sparked a moderately strong (Kp=6) geomagnetic storm. Northern Lights spilled across the Canadian border into the United States as far south as Colorado.

http://www.spaceweather.com
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »

I was on 10 and 15 this morning roughly between 10 and 11 EDT and both bands were void of many signals.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 04:21:42 PM »

I noticed the low signal levels and general lack of them when I was on 40 meters in the early hours, about 5 AM ET. Things seemed to be getting back closer to normal later this afternoon.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 06:19:40 PM »

10 today was no fun.

Nothing on AM.

Some strong ssb but not for long. Lots of Caribbean, Mehico and unidentified swill.

Didn't even warm up the Osterizer.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »

VK4VN on 29000 right now working an 8 lander.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015