The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:28:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammarlund HQ-170 overload  (Read 2587 times)
WB4AQL

« on: February 10, 2013, 05:09:33 PM »

Well this is a new one for me. My HQ-170 is working well now (except for the CW/SSB reception not working). Haven`t looked at it yet because I have been spending some consulting time on a friend`s HQ-170.

The RF gain and AF gain cannot be reduced by much. This thing is loud! He can only tune in a SSB signal with difficulty and it sounds distorted. He`s been through the tubes, replaced a few out of tolerance resistors, tube socket voltages OK. No obvious mods, but I`m getting suspicious. Beautiful CW note. The AVC is working, but not like it should. If RF gain is turned all the way up, AM signals will distort. This is his first boatanchor rcvr.

Y`all got any ideas for him?

Many tnx,  Mike  WB4AQL
kf6kxg

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 10:56:11 PM »

Mike,
   It sounds like you diagnosed it. The AVC is not working as designed. Get a schematic and check every cap and resistor on the AVC line. Also check the RF Gain pot with an ohm meter to see if it is working correctly over its entire range. If you do not have a cap checker, replace the caps one at a time on the AVC line. After each replacement, turn on the rcvr and see if it made a difference. 73 Mike KF6KXG
WB4AQL

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Mike. All the measurements were within specs. As a last resort, we did a full alignment. The improvement was dramatic! I would not have believed it would make that much difference in avc function. He has to reduce  RF gain a bit for good SSB reception, but I think that is SOP for the HQ-170.

73, WB4AQL   
K9PNP

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »

He has to reduce  RF gain a bit for good SSB reception, but I think that is SOP for the HQ-170.

It is on mine.  I tend to set the audio gain and use the RF gain from there on all modes.  AVC is only so good with a lot of signal present.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 04:25:39 PM »

There was an errata sheet(s) that Hammarlund issued on the HQ-170 (not A or A-VHF) that documented changes that should be made to the AVC section.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015