The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 11:03:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WA3PUN Sighting on 3885 Last Night  (Read 9649 times)
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« on: April 04, 2012, 04:37:21 PM »

I haven't heard Ed for quite some time so it was nice to find him holding court on 75 meters last night. He had a whopping signal into Connecticut as he chatted with Joe WA3WMI. Both stations were doing a good job of staying above the persistent static crashes.

Rob W1AEX

* WA3PUN - 3.885 MHz 4-3-2012 9 59 39 PM.mp3 (875.92 KB - downloaded 499 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:54:47 AM »

I was working in the cave, and heard him on......  A built in alarm clock telling me its time to go to bed.

He said that he'd not been on more than 2 times in the last 5 months. His voice sounded 'older', but it was the same 'people understand nothing'. Same old women problems too.

But it was good to hear him.

klc

What? Me worry?
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:58:27 PM »

Hey Rob, what was the band doing at the time?
Looks like what, 0200 GMT or so ?

Surprised to hear that deep fade early on,  almost like 40m in the late afternoon when signals peak then crap out.

Good to hear Ed on the air.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »

The band was slowly rolling in and out, with deep fades at times, but for the most part, both Joe and Ed were very strong. The static crashes drove me away and I called it a night at 10pm after listening for a few minutes. I guess we are in a noisy period along the east coast as the static crashes seem to be a nightly event at this point.   Sad

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 09:09:08 AM »

Geeezzzeee, I haven't heard Ed on for a few years. But then again, I cant do those late-nights like I used to. I've been meaning to call him on the phone, but I just never seem to get around to it.

At least It's good to know that he is still on the right side of the grass. He's got to be in his mid 80s or better.

Ed doesn't like to get on unless he can "hold court" He likes those structured round tables and he HAS to be the pivot-man.

He used to get so mad at Timmy when he would stop by for break-in action and disrupt his round table. If I wasn't in the round-table and was in the listening mode over at the bench, I used to laugh my butt off............

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »

Yep, the love-hate relationship that existed between Timtron and Uncle Ed could turn hilarious at times.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 01:23:56 PM »

Yep, the love-hate relationship that existed between Timtron and Uncle Ed could turn hilarious at times.

Ed always badmouthed Timmy, then would suck up to him for advice on his transmitter or other technical stuff. I used to just shake my head. I'm surprised that Timmy didn't deliberately misdirect him.

5 minutes after getting the info he wanted, he would go right back to pissing and moaning about Timmy breaking up his roundtable. Many times I would jump in with Timmy just to continue the "disruption"  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
ve6pg

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »

..uncle ed was on?...c'mon rob...april fool's day has passed..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 07:22:19 PM »

yeaah last night too

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands