The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:17:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hallicrafters SX-88 Drive Belt Question:  (Read 2723 times)
n2len

« on: August 22, 2011, 02:50:52 PM »

If someone is interested in manufacturing a drive belt for the SX-88 I have the exact measurements as taken to make the belt mold.
A gentleman who was spearheading this belt project decided not to proceed several years ago. A quote of $3700.00 was given to produce the belt mold. If someone has any specific information of someone who can actually produce a belt mold, I would gladly supply the detailed exact measurements for the SX-88 drive belt. I am not looking to make any profit from this. Just looking to help those that need this very rare part to get there SX-88 back online.

Regards,
Len N2LEN
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:59:18 PM »

As I've previously related, I found a belt with the right tooth pitch and length but twice as wide at a surplus store.  I just split the belt down the middle with a razor and got two good belts out of it.  Don't discount an otherwise correct belt that's too wide if there's a standard one in a belt catalog.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 12:26:17 AM »

3700 dollars for a mold.  What about the cost of making the belts.  How many belts could you possible sell at any price to recoup the investment??  Could you sell a hundred belts at $37 each?

I'm not sure what this belt looks like but there's probably a standard belt of some size that could be made to work.

You may do better by checking with a company that makes belts,  they may be able to make a number of belts cheaper overall.

Is this belt some sort of timing belt (belt with teeth)?

Fred
n2len

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:48:17 PM »

Hello Fred,

Yup $3700 dollars was the price quoted on the invoice I received from the gentleman who was interested in trying to get an exact sized belt produced. When he received the quote, he just decided it was a way too expensive project. He recently e-mailed me a copy of the actual quote which has the specific measurements for producing a belt mold.
So I was offering the information to someone who may have a contact in the belt industry.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »

The problem is that the tooth pitch is non-standard.  Apparently the tooth pitch on this belt is .25" whereas standard pitches are .2" or 5 mm.

You can get toothed pulleys easily enough.  It might be easier in the long run to replace the pulleys with standard tooth pitches and use a standard belt.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015