The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:06:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The latest from Clip Lead Alley !  (Read 13518 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: January 20, 2010, 01:17:38 AM »

Clip Lead Alley strikes again  Grin

This is a low power (about 80 watts in this example), simple class E transmitter using a class H modulator.

The design is easily extensible to 225 watts by adding MOSFETs to the modulator and RF amplifier.  The transmitter will function well at as low as 10 watts output, if this is needed for a linear amplifier.

The class H modulator is capable of 200% positive modulation, and includes a negative peak limiter.  The RF amplifier features a single tuned circuit (drive is digital), and covers 160 through 40 meters.  Much smaller RF components may be used - these are what I had lying around the shack, so I used them.

Here is the modulator schematic:

The overall modulator, as built:

A closeup of the modulator itself:

And, the RF amplifier:

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
w1vtp

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:50:16 AM »

Steve

DON'T SNEEZE!   Grin
W1JS

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:18:59 AM »

Shocked  Roll Eyes  Grin  Grin

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 08:55:02 AM »

It sounds much better than it looks.

I have had bad luck with those clip leads. They look like Radio Shack ones. The crimp connections cannot be trusted.

Great idea coming up with a power level where the xmtr can directly substitute for a ricebox.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 09:29:02 AM »

It sounds much better than it looks.

I have had bad luck with those clip leads. They look like Radio Shack ones. The crimp connections cannot be trusted.

Great idea coming up with a power level where the xmtr can directly substitute for a ricebox.

The Radio Shack clip leads have morphed over the years.  The old ones were crimped, and in order to use them successfully, had to be soldered (which I did every time I bought a pack).  But, recently, RatShack has been using a different clip lead supplier... and they ARE (or were) soldered!  But, I do always check - because like your experience, I've had bad connections in clip leads cause problems.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:49:23 AM »

Great!

JUST what I've been looking for.   Grin

Thanks for posting it Steve.

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 11:37:07 AM »

Good gawd, man!  Have you no shame?...  Shocked   Grin

(I want the finished circuit to build as my next project)

Can the exisiting H-modulator board be used for this without much trouble?  I understand the RF section will need to be point-point based on our conversation?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 12:14:55 PM »

Steve, I'm speechless...

As Dave said, it certainly does sound excellent. Hey, I was only kidding yesterday when I said to have those plans on my desk by today. Hope you didn't stay up all night taking pictures and drawing up the schematic!

That does look like a very slick way for someone without a lot of solid state experience (who has been procrastinating) to give the FET design a try. A board kit would make it a done deal! I love the fact that it will do 160m - 40m too!

Rob

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 12:27:33 PM »

Good gawd, man!  Have you no shame?...  Shocked   Grin

(I want the finished circuit to build as my next project)

Can the exisiting H-modulator board be used for this without much trouble?  I understand the RF section will need to be point-point based on our conversation?

T

Hi Tom,

The existing class H implementation is *completely* different, from soup to nuts. 

I need to add a couple more "features" to this one for completion.  One important feature is an overload detect, but I want a no-brain variant of my existing overload shutdown, with a low parts count and an easy adjustment to set up.

The idea of the project is simplicity.  Whether I can keep it that way is the challenge  Cheesy

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 12:36:52 PM »

Steve,
Your clip lead specials amaze me! 

Have you thought about a PDM version?  As your well aware, they are not that complex. 

It would be a great starter kit for those that have never built much before. 

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 01:00:03 PM »

Looks like I'll need more clip leads!
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 01:28:30 PM »

Steve,
Your clip lead specials amaze me! 

Have you thought about a PDM version?  As your well aware, they are not that complex. 

It would be a great starter kit for those that have never built much before. 

Joe, GMS

Hi Joe,

Well, there were several reasons I went with analog for this simple kit  Wink

The biggest reason is the wide range of power.  With this setup, one can load the RF amplifier from less than 1 amp, to up to 3 amperes (with one MOSFET in each portion of the modulator), and the modulator is perfectly content.

The circuit is very simple.  A lot of components required for a PWM implementation are not necessary (such as an input filter).

This one is very easy to debug with DC instruments.

And since the circuitry is all analog, it is very forgiving with respect to construction techniques.

Of course the advantage of PWM is a lower weight, no power transformer (if an off-line design is used), and greater efficiency  Cool   This is the only analog transmitter I've got at the moment.  Everything else I use is PWM, but of course all of those other transmitters run a lot more power, so PWM is really the only way to go.

And of course, analog signals travel over clip leads much better than do digital signals  Grin Wink Smiley Cheesy

Regards,

Steve

k3zrf

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 01:38:30 PM »

Those clip leads are making me hungry looking like tri-colored pasta  Grin

How do you remember what you are clipped to?

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
N0WVA

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 03:58:14 PM »

And here I was thinking that my bench was too messy and I should clean it off ( amounting to sweeping it into a cardboard box with my forearm). Welp. Guess I wont now!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 05:47:36 PM »

Steve ,
That conglomeration hasn't changed very much. Maybe 15 more clip leads.
And on your thread about sub-woofers........While we have you here.........Why do you need to hear or feel audio down to 10hz?..........HUH?

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »

clip leads are an art. You really have to understand current loops to get away with it.
K9ACT
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 06:52:19 PM »

My wife got a bigger kick out of these pics than I did.

My stuff does not look so bad anymore and I had to tell her that you are smarter than I.

I keep telling her that the amount spaghetti is directly proportional to genius.

js

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 07:00:01 PM »

Steve, I gather you are getting ready to win the clip lead category in the Feb. 6 rally.  Congratulations I think the award should be given now--why wait hi hi.

Can't wait to hear the new rig and if there were ever a RIG, this is IT  Grin

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »

STEVE!!!

Please please please don't design anything with quad TL074 chips!!

At least go with a 5532/5534 family??  Singles or duals??
Many many potential subs vs. almost none??

Not to mention the new ultra ultra low distortion chips from National and LT??

Please?

Cheesy

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 01:29:23 AM »

I've got a pretty nice overload shutdown circuit going.  Although this adds some parts, it is a very important feature.  I'll document the changes when I'm not so tired  Roll Eyes

I built this whole thing point to point, clip leads and dead bug.  But, I think a PC board is in order to facilitate construction.

It would be reasonable to make the board accept up to 3 MOSFETs in each class H bank, for up to 225 watts of power input.  Configuring the board with 2 MOSFETs in each bank will give you 150 watts in, and a single in each will give you up to 75 watts dc input to the final.

Makes a nice DX100/Apache/Valiant power level transmitter.

Above 225 watts? Use PWM  Grin

Regards,

Steve

K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 12:55:39 PM »

Hey Steve,

Great idea,  and nice implementation,  as usual.  Am buying more 'Cliplead Futures" !

73  Vic
WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »

Steve,
I put a LED in series with the NPL transistor collector so it flashes when the npl is turned on. I mounted the LED on the front panel of the modulator as a monitor.
It could also go in the base circuit if you need more than 10 ma of NPL current.
W1UX
Contributing

When ya see a fork in the road, TAKE IT!

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 08:48:15 AM »

Steve ,
That conglomeration hasn't changed very much. Maybe 15 more clip leads.
And on your thread about sub-woofers........While we have you here.........Why do you need to hear or feel audio down to 10hz?..........HUH?

==============================================================================

Well, like the girl said in the hifi store sitting on the subwoofer, "could you play that organ recording again?"

Al "Al" (Al)  W1UX..... over, OVER!!! anyone OUT THERE? hi hi ha ha hee hee ho ho haw haw DAMMIT! Where'd that FLY come from?!?!?
WA4JK

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »

Steve do you think one could stuff one of your overload shutdown circuit cards into a K7dyy box?Huh Thaht might be the answer to the class D issues.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 09:30:10 AM »

Steve do you think one could stuff one of your overload shutdown circuit cards into a K7dyy box?Huh Thaht might be the answer to the class D issues.

It would work....

Of course you'd have to have a power supply... That's isolated from the rest of the DYY circuitry. Not even a ground...

And find the right traces on the DYY board to cut, to route the Modulated DC through the overload board..
Maybe there is already a jumper? going from the modulator section to the final FETs?

May be a little tricky, since almost all the circuitry in the DYY is floating.. (which is probably the root cause of some failures)

But I bet it can be done   Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015