The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 05:48:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good and bad news  (Read 17496 times)
W1UK

« on: May 08, 2009, 03:36:24 PM »

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D98270OO1&show_article=1
K9ACT
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 07:49:43 PM »

Just a suggestion.

One teaser is  forgivable but then to get to the  posting and find another with still no clue, is unforgivable.

The purpose of the "subject" line is to preview the subject.

Although I am now on broadband, as a long time dialupper, this has always been one of my pet peeves.

js

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 09:46:04 AM »

I don't get it? The link worked OK here?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 10:07:24 AM »

He's just commenting that he had to follow the link to find out what it was about....

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 10:26:02 AM »

I agree with Jack. 

Posts that are "Hey This Is Cool" and then just a link should not be allowed.  The author should provide a good concise title and a brief description.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
K9ACT
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 10:59:50 AM »

I agree with Jack. 

Posts that are "Hey This Is Cool" and then just a link should not be allowed.  The author should provide a good concise title and a brief description.

"Not allowing" is a pretty big stick and common sense should provide the rules of the road.

First of all, it fails kindergarten marketing rule number one.  The more convenient you make your product to see, the more potential customers you will expose to it.  A guessing game about the product is shooting oneself in the foot.

I have a one step rule I apply in such cases and this takes two steps so I didn't even try the link.

So now a possibly very interesting thread has been hijacked.

js

W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 11:35:54 AM »

Thanks for the link Jim. I generally follow SpaceWeather.com like a crackhead lookin for a fix.

On a side note; The YL didn't pack her crap up and call a cab, the dog still loves me, all our vehicles are still running and the house isn't on fire. So I guess that one extra mouse click wasn't a life altering event after all. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 12:18:18 PM »

Thanks for the link Jim. I generally follow SpaceWeather.com like a crackhead lookin for a fix.

On a side note; The YL didn't pack her crap up and call a cab, the dog still loves me, all our vehicles are still running and the house isn't on fire. So I guess that one extra mouse click wasn't a life altering event after all. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Agree, but a little description would be nice too.

No real sweat, either way!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
KA1ZGC
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 01:00:02 PM »

For all this pissing and moaning that the post wasn't written in such a way as to save you the trouble of following the link (like a little reading ever hurt anyone), each and every single one of you doing the pissing and moaning still followed the link, didn't you?

Of all the things to get angry about. Take a Midol.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »

For all this pissing and moaning that the post wasn't written in such a way as to save you the trouble of following the link (like a little reading ever hurt anyone), each and every single one of you doing the pissing and moaning still followed the link, didn't you?

Nope.... I didn't...

I'm in charge of wasting my own time ... I'm not about to blame someone else for wasting my time.

Certainly not going to loose any sleep wondering what I've missed by not following the link.

It's simple, you're either curious enogh to click on the link... or you're not...

Even on dial-up, it wouldn't take a minute....

If youre time is so precious... what the heck are you doing on an internet BB in the first place?

K9ACT
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 01:21:24 PM »

Seems you are the only one getting angry in addition to not reading very carefully.

I started the p&m and clearly stated that I did not click on the link and still have no clue of the subject.

I suspect from the facts that I still do not know what the posting is about and the number of p&m's, that I probably made the right call.

As someone else said, I choose my own time wasters and I guess p&m'ing is more fun than clicking on unknown links.

js
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 01:24:07 PM »

Yea, there are more important things to get worked up about, like WD-40.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 01:26:23 PM »

Yea, there are more important things to get worked up about, like WD-40.

Oh, the hell with WD-40. That stuff is crap. PB Blaster is the best cuz I said it is. I like Zep45 too. Also good stuff.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
KA1ZGC
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 01:30:41 PM »

I see... so now it's my fault?

Okay, Jack's right. Pissing and moaning about not being given information about something that he didn't read anyway is perfectly rational. Tom's claim that links that aren't described sufficiently enough to save a mouse-click should be forbidden is perfectly rational.

I, on the other hand, am completely off the deep end.

Glad you guys are here to set me straight.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 01:50:23 PM »

Only if you think it is. I only mentioned WD-40. KA1ZGC... WD-40, not even any common letters. 
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 01:55:41 PM »

Nah, not really. I was exploring the possibility of there actually being something more trivial than a mouse click to argue about.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
KA1ZGC
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 01:56:32 PM »

Only if you think it is. I only mentioned WD-40. KA1ZGC... WD-40, not even any common letters. 

Funny... I don't remember saying "Steve".
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 06:24:16 PM »

One teaser is  forgivable but then to get to the  posting and find another with still no clue, is unforgivable.

Now let me see, the whole world is going bankrupt or at least half of it.

endless wars, starving people, unsafe streets and so on.

So how you design a header is somehow important   Huh Huh

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K9ACT
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 12:59:18 AM »

Not sure why all the huffing and puffing. 

As the subject line is rather vague, I thought a nice discussion about marketing strategy would be just as appropriate as any other.

Let us say I was looking for a nice vacuum variable and the good news was he is giving one away and the bad news is if you don't look at the link, you obviously can't get it.

On the other hand, if he was selling one for a reasonable price and I am too lazy to click again, we both lose.

He only wins if someone ready to buy it clicks twice.

That's not a whole lot of work but in sales, it's the little things that count.

Granted, he is not selling anything is the usual sense of the word, but why waste the energy of posting something that a significant numbers of readers won't read for a very trivial reason?

js
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 05:47:34 AM »

The other point that should be made is that this exact lame story which annoyed people
was already posted just days ago!  here: 
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=19639.0

Shocked

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 11:07:58 AM »

Unoriginal. I expect better from you. Keep trying though.

Funny... I don't remember saying "Steve".
KA1ZGC
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 11:26:22 AM »

Why are you singling me out, Steve? I'm not the only one saying this stuff.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 12:22:20 PM »

What stuff?

Please don't play the victim. It's boring.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »

What stuff?

You clearly object to something I said. That "stuff".

Please don't play the victim. It's boring.

Spare me. All I did was ask a question. I don't see you saying anything to anyone else in this thread except me, and I'm just wondering why that is. There were seven other posts before my first one.

Hardly an unreasonable question. Care to answer it? Your evasive tactics suggest you have no answer.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 02:00:45 PM »

Wah. Cry me a river.  Cry

I guess I didn't notice your sensitivity. It should have been obvious to me when you singled out Jack and told him to take a Midol. How could I have missed it?  Roll Eyes

Spare me, indeed. I'm not buying your victim crap.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015