The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 01:39:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX-60B + HG-10B + Dowkey Relay. How?  (Read 6758 times)
WB2YGF
« on: April 03, 2009, 11:33:58 AM »

OK, so I got an HG-10B VFO at Timonium for my DX-60B.  Problem is, I am currently using the ACC socket to power the 110 VAC Dowkey relay.

Anyone else have this issue, and how did you resolve it?

I have some ideas I don't particularly like: Smiley

*  Mount a chassis AC receptacle in the rear of the DX-60B to power the relay. (I hate hogging square holes.)
*  Add a second wire coming out of the VFO plug.  (I would have to rewire the VFO with a thinner cable - otherwise, no room.  Moreover, I would have to figure out some kind of inline (Molex?) connector arrangement for the pigtail to make it disconnectable.)
*  Find one of those antique extension cord receptacles and flush mount it to the rear. (If I can find one.)
*  Power the VFO with a separate HP23C Heath supply. (I believe it's compatible, but too much extra stuff.)

Damn you Heathkit!!!
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:50:45 AM »

My HG-10B came with a black and red wire coming off of the accessory plug from the same pins as the 110VAC.  I assume that the previous owner used a t/r switch. 

I haven't actually used the VFO yet as my DX-60 mode switch went south on me before I got the VFO, but it seems to be an elegant, functional and simple method.

AMI#1684
WB2YGF
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:13:31 PM »

I suppose I could try to squeeze a thin piece of zipcord into the plug even if I had to notch out the plug cover.

Eventually, I may have to replace the VFO cable anyway, as the rubbery covering is rotting away.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:20:29 PM »

You know, before I received the VFO I was thinking that the VFO itself had pins for the relay... but alas when I saw one at a hamfest, I didn't see them and was wondering how to hook up the relay with it.  When my VFO arrived with the added wires coming out of the plug it made sense.  But why didn't Heathkit figure this out?  I guess for the same reason they didn't install a PTT for AM operation.  Let the operators figure out how do some stuff if they want to use it.  Well at least it's a learning process.

AMI#1684
WB2YGF
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:31:54 AM »

Well John, I ended up sacrificing an old extension cord.  The 3-way AC socket pigtailed out of the plug allows for a safe disconnect and I even have extra sockets for an "ON THE AIR" lamp. 

While I was at it, I figured out a place to mount the Dowkey relay...Right on the cover.  No drilling required.  Yeah, it's ugly, but it's functional. I also added another RCA jack so either the transceiver or the DX 60 can transmit and key the linear without any cable swapping.  Cheesy

* DSC00153-cropped.JPG (462.69 KB, 1457x1510 - viewed 501 times.)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:02:48 AM »

They say "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!"  I actually think that is a very nice job you did there!  Kudos!  The quick disconnect is a great idea too!  Wink Cool Cheesy

AMI#1684
W2JBL

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 01:01:13 AM »

is that "monster cable" you have feeding the Dow Key realy coil? does it help reduce the keyup delay of the relay and prevent dangerous hot switching of the fragile Dow Key contacts?
WB2YGF
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 07:48:05 AM »

is that "monster cable" you have feeding the Dow Key realy coil? does it help reduce the keyup delay of the relay and prevent dangerous hot switching of the fragile Dow Key contacts?
Monster cable?  Huh Its a plain old piece of lightweight extension cord with a molded plug that plugs into the outlet pigtail from the VFO connector.  It is, after all, a 120V coil.  I could have used hookup wire, but the zipcord dresses nicer and is more durable.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 08:49:08 AM »

It's the clear see-through insulated coaxial cable that looks like "Monster cable" audio cable.  I think that's what he was referring too. 

AMI#1684
WB2YGF
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 06:17:31 PM »

It's the clear see-through insulated coaxial cable that looks like "Monster cable" audio cable.  I think that's what he was referring too. 
I certainly hope he doesn't think the RF output of the DX 60 is powering the coil.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »

Your setup looks better than what I did when I had a DX-60!

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015