The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:48:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I listen on 3885.. antenna questions  (Read 16867 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 12:30:03 AM »

Yeah I think so. I should be able to find some wire. If I am lucky, the guys will be over weekend after next to do the survey. They have reccomended guys as well as a large base if it is going to be 50FT. I have no objections to extra safety and better construction. The gentleman heading this up has been doing towers for decades. He also is going to fix me up with a lightning arrestor that will mount on the outside wall of the shack. I want to also put a knife switch in there to switch the antenna from shack to ground when I am not using it.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 09:13:30 AM »

I have tried various antenna's over the years, and found that a resonant antenna generaly receives best, or at least one that is as long as its supposed to be on the lowest frequency you intend to use.

The 40 meter dipole really works poorly (on receive) on 80 meters, the 80 meter antenna sucks on 160.

Coils seem to be no problem, when I had the alpha delta antenna up, it received MUCH better on 160 meters than the 80 meter dipole, even though it was only 100 feet long.

When tuned through a tuner, the 80 meter dipole does not seem to work as well as the 40 meter dipole does on 40 meter receive, so I tend to think a low swr at the antenna seem to work best for receive, and makes a big difference.

The fatter the antenna, the wider the bandwidth, someone is selling strapping with stainless wires in it to make dipoles out of, that is supposed to be very broad banded.

If you cut an antenna for 3850, its nice to be broad enough to cover most of the band with a low swr.
My current 80 meter dipole is under 1.5 to 1 at 3835 and 3885, made with #10 copper wire.

I also tend to think you dont loose much on TX if you use coils to shorten an antenna a little, say a 100 foot 80 meter dipole, I ran one years ago that was 100 feet, with some B+W coil stock over an insulator to make up for the 20 feet I was short.

The alpha delta actualy seemed to work ok other than the coils melted from the power.
With REAL coils, it might have been ok even on 160, although nothing like a full length antenna.

Brett
K8WBL
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 10:43:45 AM »

I'd also recommend the horizontal loop, for 75 meter cloud burner, elevated only 20 feet should do a fine job.  A Bi-square if you had the room, but a loop is generally quieter in my experience. I live in the City, (Cincinnati) and it works well.  Another local ham, about 1 mile away, has similar noise problem.  So you might be wise to first check into what and where the noise is coming from.  Stay away from vertically oriented antennas, then tend to pick up local electrical and static noises more easily.  I also have used the fibreglass military poles you can get off Ebay and local fests that are cheap and work well.

73, Tim K8WBL
KA1ZGC
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 10:30:28 AM »

When tuned through a tuner, the 80 meter dipole does not seem to work as well as the 40 meter dipole does on 40 meter receive, so I tend to think a low swr at the antenna seem to work best for receive, and makes a big difference.

You're not telling the whole story. Not all dipoles are created equal. Did you observe this using coax-fed dipoles, or balanced-fed dipoles? Sounds to me like you're talking about a coax-fed dipole, which does not perform well outside its intended band. Dipoles fed with open-wire line perform every bit as good at their harmonics as they do at their fundamental.

The fatter the antenna, the wider the bandwidth, someone is selling strapping with stainless wires in it to make dipoles out of, that is supposed to be very broad banded.

Even in AM, you're only utilizing about 10-12 kHz of spectrum at any given time. If you have a tuner, you don't need a "broad-banded" antenna.

These so-called "broad-band" antennas are catering to a crowd that wants to buy an appliance, plug it directly into an antenna, and not have to do anything tedious like learning to operate a tuner.

They're selling to the misconception that "low SWR" automatically means a good performing antenna. You can prove this yourself by counting the number of QSOs where someone is told he's not coming in all that well, and he responds by saying he should be coming in just fine, because his "SWRs are very low".

VSWR is not a measurement of an antenna's abilities. It is a measurement of resistive and reactive unity between a given transmitter and a given antenna, nothing more.

If you cut an antenna for 3850, its nice to be broad enough to cover most of the band with a low swr.
My current 80 meter dipole is under 1.5 to 1 at 3835 and 3885, made with #10 copper wire.

It seems nice, perhaps, but it's not necessary unless you're running a rig with no tunable output, no tolerance for mismatch, and no tuner.

If you have a tuner (or a transmitter with a tuned PA), those numbers lose their meaning entirely. Then you no longer need to split hairs over your VSWR. Your transmitter will see a load matching its impedance, your antenna will see a source matching its impedance, whatever those are.

I also tend to think you dont loose much on TX if you use coils to shorten an antenna a little, say a 100 foot 80 meter dipole, I ran one years ago that was 100 feet, with some B+W coil stock over an insulator to make up for the 20 feet I was short.

That approach does not lend itself to multi-band use. You need to make sure the coils are nowhere near any voltage or current nodes. Too close to the current node, your coil may melt. Too close to a voltage node, the coil will arc and spark and throw trash all up and down the band.

Since your current and voltage nodes form as a function of wavelength vs. radiator length, a neutral point on one band may be a current or votage point on another band, especially if you're dealing with an oddball length like 100'.

I'd also recommend the horizontal loop, for 75 meter cloud burner, elevated only 20 feet should do a fine job.

Judging from his original post, it sounds like he's looking for something more than a cloud burner.

Patrick's question was "will a dipole outperform what I've got now". He can only hear one or two local guys and would like to be able to hear/work the rest of us.

So you might be wise to first check into what and where the noise is coming from.

Again, that's putting the cart before the horse.

The reason Patrick can't hear signals over the noise is because he's receiving on 40 feet of wire that's only 10 feet off the ground. Do the math: that's less than 1/6 of a wavelength of wire that's less than 1/24 of a wavelength above ground! I'm sorry, but you can't receive diddly-squat with that, even in the quietest of conditions.

Even if he had zero man-made noise, his receive signal-to-noise ratio would still suck bogwater. It seems like he has a noise problem, because he just plain isn't getting any signal out of anybody. Signal-to-noise ratio is just that: the ratio of signal vs. noise. If you have an antenna that will never pick up any signals, chasing down noise is a waste of time, and will gain you nothing. You still won't receive worth a crap.

Like I said a few posts ago: if you use a coathanger to receive on 75 but all you hear is furnace blower noise, it's because your antenna sucks, not your furnace.

Once Patrick has an antenna up that will start pulling in some signals, then the noise issue (if there even is a noise issue) can be addressed.
K3ZS

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »

That weird antenna, if made into a simple folded dipole, it would have greater bandwidth without all the extra legs.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 06:12:48 PM »

update..

The survey has been done.

There are now 6 pcs. 5.5" OD 1/4" wall steel pipe lying in the yard, each 15FT long. Four will soon become guy wire deadmen for the 50FT Rohn 25G tower on its way. The other two will become the dipole end supports.

I am using four guys, since the available area for tower and guys is but 40x40. There is not enough room for a proper triangle in keeping with the minimum allowable guy angle from tower to ground, so each deadman will be about 28FT from the tower and 11FT high. The local ham club is helping with this and the men running the job have put up many commercial and ham antennas that have been up for decades, including much taller ones using the same "tall deadman" approach. The deadmen will be in 5FT deep holes with a bottom layer of pea gravel, then some sand, then 4000LB test concrete, with additionally a rebar-reinforced top cap of 20x20" 4" thick. I do not think these will ever go anywhere.

I will say one thing. The pipes are heavy. Instead of briskly picking them up and carrying them from the trailer, I used an ATV with a winch to drag them. I hope that is not cheating.

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 06:52:38 PM »

update..

The survey has been done..

So when can I expect you to be on the air?  I keep listening.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2009, 01:12:08 AM »

weeks, maybe 2 months..

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2009, 04:25:58 PM »

well I just had a discussion with the city. I have to go downtown and show them drawings of the foundation etc. but that is OK. The bad part is they said "only two antennas allowed over the 30FT 'neighborhood slope' height. This means a dipole and a vertical, as planned, but what to do about the two discones (VHF and UHF) I want at 45FT? What about the 6M/144/440 beams? They are going to force me to build a very monstrous and unsightly (yet compliant with the letter of the law) "multiband antenna", made of several sub-antennas permanently built onto one another. Is that their intent? I might be able to get a variance but why am I jumping through hoops? Shouldn't the fedral law allow require to reasonably accomodate me? Meaning at least 160M through 70CM? The guy (in the city call center, one of many who read from the ordnances and gives rote answers) I was talking to did not know anything about radio and understands no difference between one antenna and another, except that they might look different. I need to find someone who does.

* natenna revenge.gif (10.28 KB, 700x591 - viewed 472 times.)

KA1ZGC
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 12:12:14 AM »

If they're that stupid, they won't recognize a dipole as an antenna. Tell them it's a support wire, or a grounding wire, or any kind of wire besides an antenna. You know, something the tower needs in order to be safe. They like that word. They certainly won't know any better.

Barf up a log periodic for VHF/UHF and a single discone way up high. They're both multi-band ants, after all, you only need one really good one of each. The rest won't appear to them to be "antennas" unless you tell them they are.

Just come up with a good story, and stick to it! These are government people you're dealing with, after all.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015