The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:03:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Globe Champion 300 T2 high voltage power transformer  (Read 17012 times)
ke7trp
Contributing

« on: February 25, 2009, 02:04:55 AM »

After my 300 is on for several hours and I have used it for at least an hour.. The T2 high voltage transformer in the rig starts buzzing LOUD.  Its a high pitched solid and steady BUZZ noise out of the transformer itself. The radio has full power, audio and the noise is NOT on the air. Grid drive and FREQ are all stable and normal. But the noise is very loud in the room.  There is no drop in plate current or wattage at all.

Should I expect this transformer to die soon?  Any ideas on what to check or things to do?

Any sources for a replacement or ideas on what transformer will work in its place if it needs to be replaced?

On the schematic it simply takes line voltage to 1000 volts AC to the 866s.  This radio loads at 330MA but I never load it past 265.  Output power is about 150 watts AM.

I really enjoy this transmitter.. It happened tonight as I was talking to K4KYV DON on 3885.. It just all of the sudden goes into a loud BUZZ.

Clark
ke7trp
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:49:48 AM »

sounds like you have some loose laminations in the core. Check to see if the screws that hold it together are still tight. The renewed heating / cooling cycles may have worked them loose.

also check your HV filter choke. Choke input power supplies tend to really work the laminations in the filter choke.

the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:12:27 AM »

Clark, I have a Chump 350. I lost T-1 the LVPS just by basically turning it on and letting it 'warm-up,' (standard procedure for the AX9909's). Anyway, it warmed up too much and released it smoke. The lesson here is never turn your back on a rig. WRL was not know for using A-1 quality parts. Your milage may vary.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:27:56 AM »

Clark,

As Derb identified the noise is almost surely from loose laminations but you need to see if this is due to normal temperature rise loosening the structure of if something is causing your current draw to increase in mid transmission leading to the buzz.  If you have a clamp type AC ammeter you could arrange this to see whether the primary current draw goes up simultaneously with the buzz and if so then you need to find out what is causing the additional draw.  If it remains stable then stabilizing your core is all that is needed.

As to the 866 rectifiers; they are pretty but I personally wouldn't keep them with any transformer that is expensive or difficult to replace.  One good flashover and it's bye bye transformer.

Rodger WQ9E
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:55:27 AM »

Sometimes the cabinet will vibrate and make that noise if the transformer is moving slightly.  Are you sure it is the transformer?  Check it like Rodger said and if the transformer is ok then you could mount it on rubber grommets to help that.  Check to see if the screws holding it together are tight, and if that doesn't do it, the bobbin in the transformer may be moving a bit.  You can pull off one of the end bells and use a piece of a tooth pick to wedge it still.

As Mike explained that LV transformer is usually a the real problem with these things, so watch it.  Check the leakage on that 3X10uf can cap in the audio section for leakage.  If it is excessive, replace it.
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 12:35:44 PM »

Clark

All suggestions here are excellent so far so I'm just going to repeat things.

I'm thinking loose laminations.  I had the same problem with my old Eldico TR-1 many years ago <sigh>.  Had you taken HV PS voltages in the past and documented it?  How does the present HV compare.  Is the ripple still  OK (on air reposts should verify this). 

Another idea is this:  given the high frequency component of what you hear, check your cabinet, chassis bolting to rack etc.  I have an EF Johnson Courier that works just fine but once in a while it does that hum/rattle thing.

It's a good idea to CAREFULLY check HV, ripple HV resting current draw when the XMTR is working OK so that if the beastie starts to act up you have a snapshot of what it was like when it was working OK.

73, es GL, Al
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 01:19:35 PM »

Thanks alot guys..  This is a real loud buzz.  Its so loud you are waiting for it to go bang and see smoke.

All the caps in the radio are new except the old oil can Sangamo Cap.  Its not leaking.  Since I stare at the plate meter when I talk on it, I know its not going up or down in current.

I have isolated this to be the T2.. in my mind is this:

If I turn the Rig to the TUNE postion, I get NO noise at all.. and about 20 watts out. Not a single buzz or noise.. If I go to CW or PHONE, I get the loud BUZZ and 150 watts out. In my mind, I figured this would mean its the HV transformer. The sound sure seems to come from the big transformer in the back left. 

I will have to tear it down AGAIN and make sure the T2 is tight. I was used this rig for 7 months with out issue. Then one day, The BUZZ came on during a QSO.  I have faught with it to fix it. I hope its just the Loose core that I can tighten. It sure has full power and works perfectly. So whatever it is, Its not effecting performance or sound on the air.

This radio also has no hum.  I just recently replaced all the caps in the audio section with new 22 UF caps. No more papers are left in the rig. As I replaced them, I turned it on and listened on a RXer. My hum was gone when I got the last Cap replaced.

The BUZZ also varies GREATLY as I dip the plate.. Increase load from 250 to 300 MA and the noise doubles in volume.

Clark

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 01:24:04 PM »

I forgot to add...

I am using the big plug in replacement diodes for the 866s..  The 866s have been out for 8 months.

On the LV side it has the original 5u4G installed. I just looked through the case and noticed the getter is burned off it..  Maybe I should start by replacing the 5U4?  I have a plug in replacement diode and I think I might have at least one 5U4G somewhere.

Clark
WQ9E

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 01:25:28 PM »

Clark,

I don't have the schematic of your transmitter handy but there are numerous sources of current draw that will not show up on the plate meter.  For example, increased current draw due to problems with the rectifiers or filters won't show up on a plate meter that reads final cathode current.

Rodger WQ9E
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 01:36:30 PM »

Here is the schematic.  and voltages.

Clark

* Globe Chump 300 005.jpg (308.1 KB, 1275x1755 - viewed 498 times.)

* Globe Chump 300-list.jpg (283.39 KB, 1275x1584 - viewed 422 times.)
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 02:51:36 PM »

I am curious Clark, you say you are only loading the plate meter to near 265 mils?  The book on this thing says never go below 275 due to the reflected impedance to the modulation transformer.  Does the buzz change if you load it heaver?
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »

If I load this thing to 300 or 330 then you get back swing on the plate meter when you modulate. Its a 200 watt carrier which is a hell of alot for these tubes.

I can try to load it up higher...

Clark
W3SLK

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 09:16:30 PM »

Clark said:
If I load this thing to 300 or 330 then you get back swing on the plate meter when you modulate. Its a 200 watt carrier which is a hell of alot for these tubes.

I can try to load it up higher...

You mind those AX9909's. They are like hen's teeth to find. Unless you want to modify it for a suitable replacement knock yourself out. But treat those finals like VIPs if you want prolonged service from them.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 09:53:18 PM »

That is why I tend to load it on the light side.  It makes an easy 150 watts out at 250 to 275 MA.  If I load it up to 300+ it goes near 200 out and its just to much for the entire rig.

Clark
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 10:15:32 PM »

Working on the 300 now trying to get it up for the wed night AMI net on 3870.   

Loading to 330 MA just as the manual suggests makes 200 watts out on the 500 slug and the 1000 slug.  Buzz is less... Still there.

A carefull listening and I think its actualy from the transformer in front of the big one. THe LV unit. I tested out a Pwd plug in replacement for the 5U4 and the buzz is nearly gone.... I wonder why. I thought this would have been harder on the radio.

With the unit 1 inch out of the case, the noise is low... What I would call normal.. If I slide it all the way in and bolt the case back down its LOUD.. So the case is transmitting the noise like a speaker cone.

Clark

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 11:04:56 PM »

I hacked up a plastic coat hanger and used it to hold to my ear to find the source of the noise.

Its the BIG HV transformer. NOT the small one.

When I held the plastic rod at the transformer and then to my ear while keyed, Its Super loud. A neat way to find noise like this. Obviously, Be carefull!!!
This plastic rod was a foot long at least.

I have tried:

866a's
3b28s
Plug in diodes.

ALL have the noise.. Full power out. That thing does 200 watts with 120 % mod... Its always been super strong.

The buzz is so loud that I cant use the radio. Its as loud as someone talking to you in the room. I tightened the mounts SUPER tight and wrenched the plates down hard. No change. I guess its toast or about to be toast.  At any rate, I cant use the radio like this. It ran noiseless for 7 months and then all of the sudden the noise came in LOUD during a QSO.

Any ideas on a transformer that would supply the volts and amps needed?  Its 1000VAC. The plate current is 330 MA.

I guess its back to the 40 watt ranger Sad   Thanks alot for all of the help guys!!!! 

Clark
W3SLK

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 09:12:15 AM »

I got mine off of Bob, W2ZM. I'm not sure if he modified it or if someone else did but there seemed to be gobs of black RTV at the feet of the HV transformer. When mine was working, I never noticed a buzz.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 09:58:36 AM »

Mine buzzs some but not REAL loud.  It is enough for the buzz to be heard over the air if I set the mic right in front of the transmitter.

On that downward modulation, mine will do the same if I am not careful in tune up.  Verify the shunts are correct if you can measure them.  I am going to give some advice my old elmer told me years ago and is still printed in some books.  First load the transmitter to max power out at or below the suggested plate current.  Mine has 200 + watts out near 300 ma.  with grid drive set at 10 ma. The last thing is to be sure the plate cap is at the dip, and I am assuming you have neutralized the final.

Once you have it loaded increase the grid drive until power out doesn't increase, then back grid drive off until you have a grid reading that keeps the power output at the max level.

You should also keep the audio set  to produce peaks just below the 200 ma mark on your meter.  If you drive it too hard, it will cause the plate reading to decrease markedly.
Jerry-n5ugw
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 12:13:56 PM »

Hey Jim.. sell me your champ.. I'm tired of being PW... How you and the misses doing.. recovered from the twister i hope.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 02:38:53 PM »

We are fine here Jerry.  That tornado passed 3 miles South of us and lifted just South of the house.  I have been picking up debris all over the 2.5 acres.  Everything from fiberglass insulation pieces to a large pieces of twisted 26 gauge metal from the roof of something.

I have to hang on to the Champ right now.  It is the only table top transmitter I have.  I have it and the GK 500A but the 500 is hardly a table top.  With some work like Clark is doing, they are good transmitters.  Simple, straightforward and plenty of power for it's size. 
Jerry-n5ugw
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »

If you run int one let me know... I gota get more scroteful...
WA1HZK

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 07:15:31 PM »

I'm wondering if we can veer off and consider removing the transformer, removing the bells if any, exposing the laminations and heating up the core to 150 degrees in the oven than soaking the thing with varnish? Just thinking of  things I would try. If it's making a noise due to loose iron I would think that would help. Leave it outside until it's tacky and stops dripping then put it back in the oven. Open the windows to let the smell out and after a couple of hours maybe you killed the noise? Any more bright ideas?
Keith
WA1HZK

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 07:41:31 PM »

Keith that would probably work, but I would probably just remove one of the end bells and put something that won't arc between the bobbin and the laminations.  Try to immoblize it and the noise may go away. 

Just sitting here, I am trying to think of some form of caulk that will work, maybe Gary will chime in here and give some good directions.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »

I often wondered if it is worth trying a can of foam insulation. Spray in the gaps with the liquid then it expands into a strong foam. It costs $5 at home cheapo
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 12:03:38 PM »

I as on the on the AMI net and the thing got even worse Now the power is down. I turned it off and I had to go to a rice box!

I am going to work on it today guys. I wonder the relay has died again.

Clark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015